Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what annoys me - the water is obviously running somewhere. The problem is that we can't keep clearing land and building new subdivisions around our dams without expecting the run off to change. Seems to be common sense to me but maybe I've got it all wrong
You have it all wrong. As the water bearing rock below the surface has dried up, groundwater taken up, if you get any rains over the catchments (which are to the east of the dams, not the city side) it pretty much just seeps straight in there.

Saw a few years back someone talking about water, they had been planning since the 70s for other sources as they expected dams to provide less and less, its just been accelerated over that last 5 years how little they provide now.

This is what annoys me - the water is obviously running somewhere. The problem is that we can't keep clearing land and building new subdivisions around our dams without expecting the run off to change. Seems to be common sense to me but maybe I've got it all wrong

Every house by law should have a 2000 ltr plus water tank filled from gutter run off.

Every house by law should have a 2000 ltr plus water tank filled from gutter run off.

Don't new homes have to have a water tank

Thanks Smeg Head - I did say I could be wrong :D I suppose this means I have to stop bitching about the constant land clearing and urban sprawl now.

Don't new homes have to have a water tank

Thanks Smeg Head - I did say I could be wrong :D I suppose this means I have to stop bitching about the constant land clearing and urban sprawl now.
No the land clearing does affect it, in a more roundabout way.

Since those new suburbs are roof to roof, asphalted, no tree, no lawn s**t boxes they are massive heat sinks. They warm the air at night which affects the weather. Also no trees, plants etc to perspire moisture into the air, less rainfall over all.

You have it all wrong. As the water bearing rock below the surface has dried up, groundwater taken up, if you get any rains over the catchments (which are to the east of the dams, not the city side) it pretty much just seeps straight in there.

Saw a few years back someone talking about water, they had been planning since the 70s for other sources as they expected dams to provide less and less, its just been accelerated over that last 5 years how little they provide now.
Its interesting you talk about the groundwater. It wouldn't surprise me if the water they sometimes take out of the aquifers effects the dams to a degree. Instead of filling the dam its going straight into the ground

Yeah like Clint said people complain that all they do is talk about football on there but the majority of callers and listeners want football talk.

Not many people give a s**t about motorsport apart from the diehard motorsport fans and even calling it a sport is being generous, it's boring as batshit.

By extension people complain the local media when they do talk about football are focused on the 2 local teams.

Well when they make up 80%+ of your audience you do have to look after you biggest demographic.

Picked my dad up from the airport and coming out of there and onto Tonkin I could barely see 10 meters in front of me. It was a serious hosing.

As a winter apologist I have no sympathy for you :p

How are we still 200mm+ down on the long term average? For about the 50th time this year it feels an ark could pull up at any moment.

To the end of August 2016 we've had 585 mm of rain. The long term mean for January to August (at the current Mount Lawley site) is 566 mm. So we are actually in front at the start of this month by 19 mm.

By extension people complain the local media when they do talk about football are focused on the 2 local teams.

Well when they make up 80%+ of your audience you do have to look after you biggest demographic.

'I think you guys spend too much time talking about West Coast and Freo and don't give other teams a go'
'Do you want to talk about a team other than West Coast or Freo?'
'No'
'Thanks for calling'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the end of August 2016 we've had 585 mm of rain. The long term mean for January to August (at the current Mount Lawley site) is 566 mm. So we are actually in front at the start of this month by 19 mm.

That sounds a little low.

The Wiki climate data has it as 653 from a total of 730. The Water Corp site has it as 759 from a total of 840.

less than 3 months of slightly chilly mornings and evenings is not 'constant cold' m8
embrace the seasons:)

Wanting it to extend to December though is more than 3 months :p

I've had enough of being rugged up going to work, it's time to retire the beanie for another year and embrace some sunshine.

Yep

The department of water claim the run off is now only 5% of what it was for the reason you claim.

There is only slightly less rain, slightly longer periods between fronts and slightly lighter rain in those fronts. But the loss to soaking in rather than run off is exponential.

The rain we once had now dumps in the south and in the southern ocean.

Last edited:
Yep

The department of water claim the run off is now only 5% of what it was for the reason you claim.

There is only slightly less rain, slightly longer periods between fronts and slightly lighter rain in those fronts. But is loss to soaking in rather than run off is exponential.

The rain we once had now dumps in the south and in the southern ocean.
Yeah a lot of cold fronts are also being pushed 5degrees further south so we aren't getting as many winter fronts pushing up. We have been getting more summer tropical rain but its doesnt equate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back