List Mgmt. 2016 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread [v. 1.0]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely on talent, sure Motlop would be a good get. But there is serious questions on him even by the cats about his commitment to being a professional footballer. Not the first Motlop to have these sort of issues either.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea, couldn't trust him after the year he has had this year. Turned up to pre season in horrible shape, and had a less then impressive year on field. A lot of the time he looks soft, selfish and uninterested. It's a pass from me.

Last edited:

Forget Motlop I'd be enquiring about Cockatoo. The cats wouldn't give him up but he would be handy on a wing for us.

Offer him a bunch of dosh. Guaranteed spot next year. He tells geelong he wants to play at North. Play hardball and give second rounder. Is it plausible? I think he'd rather stay at the cats.

Just musing but wouldn't that have been why we signed Jed?
hmmmm, think that was more speculative,,,,,,tbh had no idea why we signed Jed at the time, but more than happy to back the club and their judgement in.....Motlop has proven he can turn games off his own boot. Would i give up the world for him? No, but at 26 next year has plenty of good footy left in him and he is by far the most consistent and level headed of the motlops. Personally don't really see where this fall from grace comes from, would be glad to have him at our great club if he needs a change, and the clubs can work out an agreeable trade. Haven't the cats shown interest in Wells? (yes I know he's a free agent) but I'd be much happier if he was running around at the cats, than at the pies, especially if we can benefit from some mutual good will.

I remember watching the Cats V Hawks qualifying final and in the final 2 minutes he had 2 pings at goal under huge pressure when they were only just in front and both times kicked behinds instead of taking the tackle and getting a ball up that would have knocked 30 seconds off the clock. The reason the Hawks got that final shot at goal was because Motlop tried to dribble through a goal from the boundary line with 30 seconds to go when he could have just copped a tackle from the Hawks defender and took it out of bounds. Instead he dribble through a point from the boundary line, the hawks set up and get a shot at goal to win after the siren.

I remember sitting there thinking - if that was Lindsay at North and he did that in that game he would be absolutely smashed in the TV commentary and by the whole media but somehow it didnt even get mentioned about Motlop. Was great to see Carey call him out after the Pre-lim loss

Motlop's and North dont mix for mine. He has a very poor attitude on the ground and we dont need that in a rebuild
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.....would be the hero instead of villain if it had gone through, and often those sort of players do just play on instinct. Something we seem to lack in favor of always playing to structure.....perhaps your right, such players may not belong at nmfc under current game plans.

It was purely selfish football. I know forward's play on instinct a lot but with 30 seconds left when you are in front against the best field kicking team in the league you can never allow a behind to go through - its hold on to the football at all costs.

He was either completely selfish or he just a plain stupid footballer. If he was 21 you could accept either but at 25 in his peak it was extremely poor

Purely on talent, sure Motlop would be a good get. But there is serious questions on him even by the cats about his commitment to being a professional footballer. Not the first Motlop to have these sought of issues either.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea, couldn't trust him after the year he has had this year. Turned up after pre season in horrible shape, and had a less then impressive year on field. A lot of the time he looks soft, selfish and uninterested. It's a pass from me.
Forget Motlop I'd be enquiring about Cockatoo. The cats wouldn't give him up but he would be handy on a wing for us.

agree and theoretically should be cheaper,,,,but I still wouldnt say no to motlop at the right price! BTW for that wing role, I'm hoping Garner could play that role in a similar way to Isaac Heeney. Not out of the question.

Ok my off season plans certainly aren't as extensive as some on here and i'm not in the "we need a complete rebuild" group. Just a few changes for me. Wells out, pick 20 as compo. Take 11 and 20 to the draft. Swap pick 29 to Geelong for Motlop, i'm a fan of his and he definitely adds what we need to the team. Then i would attempt a 3 team trade with Carlton and Brisbane along the lines of
Brisbane recieve: L.Hansen, Pick 41 from Carlton
North receive: Tuohy
Carlton receive: Pick 28 from Brisbane, B.McKenzie

I'll predict that Black will request a trade. Would accept a pick in the 40s for him. (Richmond 42. Port 45 or Bris 47 are possibilities)

Overall North lose: L. Hansen, B. McKenzie, A. Black, D. Wells and pick 29
North Receive: S. Motlop, Z. Tuohy, Pick 20, Pick 45ish

And lastly pick up N. Brown with pick 101 if Bucks will have it

It was purely selfish football. I know forward's play on instinct a lot but with 30 seconds left when you are in front against the best field kicking team in the league you can never allow a behind to go through - its hold on to the football at all costs.

He was either completely selfish or he just a plain stupid footballer. If he was 21 you could accept either but at 25 in his peak it was extremely poor
Lol so you expect him to deliberately take a tackle or go out of bounds and get pinged?

Lol so you expect him to deliberately take a tackle or go out of bounds and get pinged?

He was actually one of the best players on the ground in that last quarter. Had a great finals series in 2013 but for the most part seems a bit flaky in high pressure games.

I'd take him for the right price as we sorely lack his type, but the right price would be a pick in the 20s. I doubt Geelong would take that though given he is a free agent next year and they would probably get at least that by way of compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest and given that he becomes a 26 yo free agent at the end of next season, anyone know what Fyfe is currently paid? And if we were to lose wells too, given our cap space what would we be prepared to pay him, and what would we have to give up to satisfy the dockers this trade period. Or just send them black + what else?

Out of interest and given that he becomes a 26 yo free agent at the end of next season, anyone know what Fyfe is currently paid? And if we were to lose wells too, given our cap space what would we be prepared to pay him, and what would we have to give up to satisfy the dockers this trade period. Or just send them black + what else?
front loaded 5.5 over 5 years, Black + pick 11? Would be better than their compo pick surely if he were to leave next year as a free agent. Personally like it if we get an end first round draft pick for wells, to use in the draft......or am I dreaming here???

Ok my off season plans certainly aren't as extensive as some on here and i'm not in the "we need a complete rebuild" group. Just a few changes for me. Wells out, pick 20 as compo. Take 11 and 20 to the draft. Swap pick 29 to Geelong for Motlop, i'm a fan of his and he definitely adds what we need to the team. Then i would attempt a 3 team trade with Carlton and Brisbane along the lines of
Brisbane recieve: L.Hansen, Pick 41 from Carlton
North receive: Tuohy
Carlton receive: Pick 28 from Brisbane, B.McKenzie

I'll predict that Black will request a trade. Would accept a pick in the 40s for him. (Richmond 42. Port 45 or Bris 47 are possibilities)

Overall North lose: L. Hansen, B. McKenzie, A. Black, D. Wells and pick 29
North Receive: S. Motlop, Z. Tuohy, Pick 20, Pick 45ish

And lastly pick up N. Brown with pick 101 if Bucks will have it

I don't mind this theorizing :) seems doable too with the Hansen-Blues-Lions 3-way.

We'd run at something like this... a bit more pace about this one

B: JMac Taz Wright
HB: Tuohy Thommo LMac

C: Gibbo Cunners Motlop
R: Goldie Clarke Ziebull
HF: Turner Brown Higgins
F: Wood Waite Garner

I: Daw Dumont Jacobs LT

Emg: Atley Swallow Jed EVW Mullett M-Ford Hibberd Wagner

Projects: Fordham Preuss McKay Durdin Neilson

Back-ups: Tippo

Draft: 3 - picks 11, 20, 45ish

Rookie: 5 young players, perhaps 2-3 from Bees (and Fordham)

38 on list, plus 6 rookies

I don't mind this theorizing :) seems doable too with the Hansen-Blues-Lions 3-way.

We'd run at something like this... a bit more pace about this one

B: JMac Taz Wright
HB: Tuohy Thommo LMac

C: Gibbo Cunners Motlop
R: Goldie Clarke Ziebull
HF: Turner Brown Higgins
F: Wood Waite Garner

I: Daw Dumont Jacobs LT

Emg: Atley Swallow Jed EVW Mullett M-Ford Hibberd Wagner

Projects: Fordham Preuss McKay Durdin Neilson

Back-ups: Tippo

Draft: 3 - picks 11, 20, 45ish

Rookie: 5 young players, perhaps 2-3 from Bees (and Fordham)

38 on list, plus 6 rookies
The thing i like about it is there is a good spread of grunt, run and class (probably still lacking a tiny bit) but its certainly a good team to get moving with. If we can get a good run with injuries and quick development from Clarke, Dumont, Wood, LMac and Daw then top 8 is definitely isn't out of the question. Im genuinely excited by our youth. LMac, Garner and Wood to me all have something game-changing about them! If all 3 can continue there development and most importantly stay on the park we've got ourselves some serious players!

If you follow my team above here is a handy Bees team... which is what we want!

B: Rookie - Tippo - Draftee
Hb: EVW - Neilson - Mullett
C: Fordham - Swallow - Hibberd
Hf: M-Ford - McKay - Wagner
F: Draftee - Durdin - Draftee
R: Preuss - Atley - Jed

Int: Rookies and Bees

Are you serious? Players take tackles and go out of bounds on purpose about 20 times a game when they dont have a good option
Have you seen the deliberate rules? Or the holding the balls this year? He could have easily got pinged.

Such a stupid statement saying he just should have taken the ball out deliberately. That's a free against you moron

Have you seen the deliberate rules? Or the holding the balls this year? He could have easily got pinged.

Such a stupid statement saying he just should have taken the ball out deliberately. That's a free against you moron

LOL - he was on the boundary line when he picked it up and dropped in the boot. He could have easily 'fumbled' it out of bounds or picked it up in a fashion that would bring on an immediate tackle.

Its ok if you dont understand these things

so is that 1 player from the last three drafts including this year? how sad is that. :(:(

But EVH, Hibbert, Mountord, Wagner all close with durdin a bit behind that, not all doom and gloom

LOL - he was on the boundary line when he picked it up and dropped in the boot. He could have easily 'fumbled' it out of bounds or picked it up in a fashion that would bring on an immediate tackle.

Its ok if you dont understand these things

I think his point is why would he risk it but yeah im not sure if that even crossed his mind

im 50/50 on motlop

I think his point is why would he risk it but yeah im not sure if that even crossed his mind

im 50/50 on motlop
And that is exactly my point. 37 seconds remaining ball heading for the boundary with him and Whitecross right on his tail and he picks it up and has a ping at goal which would have taken an outstanding kick to go through. It didnt enter his mind at all that he might want to let it go. I get that its super high pressure and all he wanted to do was win the game but it was a poor decision that should have cost them the game with Smith having that shot after the siren.

I think theres some pretty good reasons why the Cats would be open to trading him especially when they are wanting to get more speed in their side which he provides

But EVH, Hibbert, Mountord, Wagner all close with durdin a bit behind that, not all doom and gloom

you know some clubs have a 100 games into their 2014 draft class and we have 0, we have to start having faith in more then blokes that have been here five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back