List Mgmt. 2016 Free Agency/Trades/Draft thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really ......need to understand after signing a longterm contract, why they're even considering the matter ......they may be forced to free up TPP

Rumour is we are having secret talks which assumes Gibbs wants to leave on his own accord.

Let's not kid ourselves an early release from his contract which is driven by the player will cost us in a trade

Problem is, we obviously wouldn't let him go for that.

If you guys are ready for a flag now, and are missing a few key pieces, you should be throwing your draft picks to get these players.

Look at what Hawthorn did. They haven't had a top 20 pick since 2010 when they got Isaac Smith at 19.

Is that not the goal? To win a flag? In an 18 team comp, you don't win it anymore by sitting on your hand.

If I was in your shoes, I would be throwing picks to get Martin/Gibbs/Rockliff etc

Adelaide have done the hardest part already and have a spine sorted.

That's just my opinion, you guys are close, take the chance and have a crack at the flag now before GWS take the next 10.

This seems to be the argument every other clubs supporters are making 'oh you guys are close to a premiership so just give us your first round pick'. First it was port with spudlett and now it's Carlton with 'I suddenly want to go home now there might be a premiership in it for me' Gibbs.

It doesn't work though.

Gibbs is an ok player but he isn't going to take up from outside the top 4 to a premiership.

If Carlton want to keep him on the list for the next 3 years with no chance at a premiership and then get nothing for him when he retires, be my guest.

or you can let him go for what he's actually worth, a second rounder.

What are you basing that on?

He's a bloody good player and we should be going hard for him if there's even a chance he would come back to Adelaide.

I'm sick of playing safe - lets go balls to the wall for a flag.

Get Rockliff and Wells too.

Observation fed gut feel, nothing more.
Agrre with the balls to the wall.

I can see us trading #13 to Carlton for Gibbs.

I can't see us trading our way into the top-10, and then giving that pick away. Not a snowball's chance in Hell of that happening.
If AFC miraculously managed to stumble across a top 10 pick and then traded it away I reckon there would be a riot *

* unless Dustin Martin was the one we gave it away for

I'm interested in Gibbs but not sufficiently keen on him to part with our first considering his age. I would expect three to four good years out of him and that's assuming no injuries, which there's never a guarantee on. That to me isn't enough of a return for a first round pick, regardless of where we're at in terms of our aspirations.

Honestly, probably not. I'd want (and expect) it to be a top 10 pick (Port have 10 and that wound do). Thats about fair for 5 years of A grade talent during a premiership window.

You'd probably have to bundle 13/14 or whatever with a player for a pick inside the top 10, or include a future second (probably looking like a pick in the early 30's) - maybe with an early third (a pick in the early 40's) coming back your way or something.

1. The difference between pick 10 and pick 14 is largely academic

2. Port are not even in the equation. They have traded out of the draft for a number of years in a row and there is immense pressure on them to go to the draft and bring in some young talent.

If Gibbs wants to come home you'll be dealing with us and our first and steak knives would get it done.

I get what youre saying, but I, like a few others disagree. This mid at pick 13 is a 5 year investment. The core that we have now will all be in their 30's or pushing it by then. Pick 13 may be a dud, or they may pull a Dangerfield. Or they may turn out to be a gun, who stays, but then we're back to the start of the cycle, having not won a flag, trying to assemble more talent around this pick.

We have invested heavily at the draft since Craig and Alan Stewart came to the club about 10 years ago. We've lost more talent at trades than weve gained which has set us back. If there are talented players in their prime, wanting to come here now, we must get them. Id much rather the club try to ice the cake now and fail, and have to go to a rebuild in a few years, than stick to this neverending cycle. We can invest in youth again, next year, or the year after, or the one after that. There will always be a first rounder for us (barring another Tippettgate), but premiership windows are fleeting.

I think we're drafting pretty well so I'd back our team in to get another gun at that spot and that gun will be playing for years after Gibbs retires. That's called smart list management.

After reading these posts I still have the hope that Jarryd Lyons will be signed and given more time in the midfield next year. He has shown good form whenever he has been given the chance and should be reaching his peak in the next few years. He has been a loyal clubman , never complaining about unfair treatment after playing good games. It would be interesting to convert his stats allowing for actual game time that he spends on the ground. Our recruiting guys have done well in the last few years and the first draft picks should be reserved for the best available. There are several in the SANFL team who could make the step up next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair it was one of ours who suggested it.

Madness
Really, we suggested it...Wow.

Wasn't having a go at Malifice if it came across that way.
I'm the mad one, I'm merely proposing what it would take to bring across a very good midfielder that Carlton still have full control over for another two years. If the AFC think that price is too high, then Gibbs will likely remain a Blue next year and that could well be the best outcome for all involved. Personally I don't think packaging 14 with lesser lights will get us close enough. I also think he'd be an extremely handy addition to our midfield unit.

On a side note, with regard to your response Malifice I think Lynch's worth is higher than you're suggesting, being a 2 and 20 a game half forward with plenty of years left but then I guess I would say that :D

I think we're drafting pretty well so I'd back our team in to get another gun at that spot and that gun will be playing for years after Gibbs retires. That's called smart list management.
Or its called keeping the status quo. The one that has not brought us success in a long time.

I think I might have said this briefly in a post earlier today, but IMO we need two more players (or more) in order to raise our midfield to premiership worthy. One contested, pressuring, clearance-winning, big-bodied midfielder to provide some grunt and pressure in the contest, taking pressure off the likes of Sloane and Crouch x2 in the process. As well as this, we need to find a balanced mid who can provide great skills, but can also play well inside, win clearances, tackle and accumulate if needed. This is Rockliff and Gibbs, respectively, to a tee.

If the players that I expect to improve do so, Sloane, Rockliff, Gibbs, Brouch, Mrouch, Cameron, Smith, Milera, Greenwood, Atkins, Knight is a very, VERY good potential midfield

I think I might have said this briefly in a post earlier today, but IMO we need two more players (or more) in order to raise our midfield to premiership worthy. One contested, pressuring, clearance-winning, big-bodied midfielder to provide some grunt and pressure in the contest, taking pressure off the likes of Sloane and Crouch x2 in the process. As well as this, we need to find a balanced mid who can provide great skills, but can also play well inside, win clearances, tackle and accumulate if needed. This is Rockliff and Gibbs, respectively, to a tee.

If the players that I expect to improve do so, Sloane, Rockliff, Gibbs, Brouch, Mrouch, Cameron, Smith, Milera, Greenwood, Atkins, Knight is a very, VERY good potential midfield
Get em both
Pump the midfield up another level
Become a premiership threat
Become a destination club

Slightly spicy proposal incoming. Not suggesting Lynch wants to leave/that I want him to leave, but what would both sides say to:
Lynch + 14 + Grigg (rumoured DFA pick up) to Carlton
Gibbs + 23 to Adelaide
This starts Clubs self destroying. Why on earth would you trade one of your most popular, loyal, liked player in the top 6 in the club to bring in a player past his prime and who has consistently demeaned the Crows in the past. Strange how the Crows could suddenly be ok if they paid the contract price that Carlton is paying him. No Thanks!

Adelaide hasn't done very well with former Carlton players, so I don't see why they should do the Blues any favours at the trade table this time round.

Two former Crows are top 10 in your B&F and we basically gave one to you and the other you got for free.

Nobody doubts Adelaide's ability to draft a gun player at pick #13. The problem is that our premiership window is 2017-2019, and it's unlikely that the youngster we draft this year will be developed enough to help us win a flag in that timeframe.

If we want to win a flag while our window is open - while we have Betts, Walker & JJ as massive weapons in our forward line - then we need to be trading for a player who is a "gun" now, not in 4-5 years time.

This starts Clubs self destroying. Why on earth would you trade one of your most popular, loyal, liked player in the top 6 in the club to bring in a player past his prime and who has consistently demeaned the Crows in the past. Strange how the Crows could suddenly be ok if they paid the contract price that Carlton is paying him. No Thanks!
Yeah nah lynchy stays
First round pick and potentially a Lyons or CEY

This "smart list management" has won us nothing in decades.

This is the moment, with gun front and back halves, to trade in ready to go talent into our midfield and roll the dice while we are sitting at the grown ups table

I would happily give up this year's and next year's firsts for Gibbs and Rocky. That sets us up with a formidable midfield. Adds some class and some grunt.

Sloane, Rockliff, Gibbs, Crouch brothers.

Then Cameron and Milera on the outside providing the run.

That puts us in immediate contention. Trade out some depth players like Lyons and CEY for 2nd round picks to keep the list turning over via the draft

He's also contracted till 2019, all reports indicate he's happy to stay in any event, and there are two clubs in SA we would be talking to.

Turned 27 this year, 200 gamer, BnF winner, numerous top 5 finishes in same, averages 27 (quality) disposals per game. He's A grade talent (not Elite though; I reserve that for the likes of Judd, Hodge, Danger, GAJ etc).

If you guys think you're in a premiership window over the next 5 years, then adding him to your side is a no-brainer.

Personally, and I know I'll get howled down for this, but I would have though a pick around the 10 mark would be ball park, so we would at least have a 50/50 chance of getting someone as good (but younger).

I'd cough up pick 10 for him if I was in your clubs position in a heartbeat. Maybe thats just me.

He's def worth our first round and by trading him it better fits with your time horizons

Win win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back