The "good old" VFL days are over and there's nothing you can do about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Nuffie, The Dogs beat The Swans at the SCG earlier this season, you are coming cross as nothing more then a bitter, sore loser Sandgroper, bitter The Doggies dismantled your mob on your home ground in week 1 one of the finals

Dogs also beat Sydney at the SCG last year. Does the OP have any arguments that aren't stupid and wrong?

The AFL is an imperfect competition:
  • Do Victorian sides get an advantage against non-Victorians in the grand final? Yep.
  • Do WA sides get a larger home-ground advantage than other teams throughout the year? Yep.
  • Do some teams get an advantage by not having to travel much? Yep.
  • Has Sydney had an advantage over the years with the COLA? Yep.
  • Has the draft been compromised by generous concessions given to GWS and GCS? Yep.
  • Does the equability of the draw affect ladder positions every year? Yep.
  • Do successful destination clubs benefit more from the Free Agency system? Yep.
It is what it is. There are swings and round-abouts for most clubs. If we all felt it was too unfair we wouldn't be watching it.
I would argue the last point from a hawthorn perspective.

Free agent outs:
Franklin
Suckling
Young
Ellis
Tom Murphy

Free agent ins
Frawley

Okay, so a couple of our exits weren't huge names, but I don't know anyone who would take frawley ahead of those outs

Define near future. The grand final will be played outside of Victoria once the MCC deal expires in 2038, possibly even beforehand.
The Grand final can be played outside of Victoria unless the contract is broken earlier. Doesn't logically follow it will be.

Seriously, mod's need to approve New Threads before they get posted, nupties popping up everywhere with these *ed threads. Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Every year at the same stadium. There are a bunch of other venues that can be used, that should be being used now. It's not difficiult to tear up the MCC contract. The two sole reasons as to why the grand final is only played at the MCG is because of people's inane fascination with the 'ol' times'. Use Grand Final and Subiaco in the same sentence and all of the Victorians will go apeshit just because of their irrelevant VFL history and childhood memories that they cling onto.

Your understanding of how a contract works is exceptional.

I would argue the last point from a hawthorn perspective.

Free agent outs:
Franklin
Suckling
Young
Ellis
Tom Murphy

Free agent ins
Frawley

Okay, so a couple of our exits weren't huge names, but I don't know anyone who would take frawley ahead of those outs
Wasn't really referring to the Hawks specifically... more the general situation of star players being able to walk into any club they like. I think we all know how that is going to play out over the years. Not sure too many are going to pick Brisbane! But looking at your list, most of those players left in look of better opportunity elsewhere because they weren't in your best 22? Franklin is the only star, and he swapped to another destination club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The competition is unfair, we all know it. There's nothing special about the MCG except that it has a higher capacity. Build a 100k stadium in SA Or WA and Vics will revert to "tradition" as their last reasoning even though there's nothing tangible at all in their reasoning except superstition.

Either way I don't care, best of 3 would be awesome or higher seeds ground, who cares. Victorians acting sanctimonious and insufferable about something they had nothing to do with ie the locaction of their birth, is pretty pathetic really.

Last edited:
I wish new members intent on trolling the main board would choose non-WA clubs to put in their ID's.
It makes us from the West look like idiots. That and the booing at everything at Subi.

Now as to Victoria and Vic footy. Still looks pretty darn healthy to me. 8 out of the last ten flags I think. Yeah not going anywhere.

Is the AFL still Victoria centric? Yeah I think so, but population and being the driver behind the formation of this league will do that, even decades after the fact.

I made my earlier comment before reading much of the thread. Is he really touting the idea of playing a GF at Subi?
Has he been there recently? Playing surface is fine, but the rest of the facility is just not up to standard, hasn't been for quite some time. And that's just for regular AFL games, never mind the biggest game of the year.

Trolling at its......silliest.

GF is played at the MCG because the VFL signed a contract with the MCC to play a certain number of games and finals for 50 years, and with the guarantee the MCC would redevelop the MCG, which needed a redevelopment. MCC had managed to achieve that with very little in the way of public government money, unlike the massive burden on the public that is the new Perth stadium. MCG was funded primarily by sports fans who would attend the sports events.

Had the VFL transitioned sooner, the deal would unlikely have been agreed to. If the WAFL and SANFL came to the table a lot earlier, perhaps the game this week could have been at the SCG instead.

GF is played at the MCG because the VFL signed a contract with the MCC to play a certain number of games and finals for 50 years, and with the guarantee the MCC would redevelop the MCG, which needed a redevelopment. MCC had managed to achieve that with very little in the way of public government money, unlike the massive burden on the public that is the new Perth stadium. MCG was funded primarily by sports fans who would attend the sports events.

Had the VFL transitioned sooner, the deal would unlikely have been agreed to. If the WAFL and SANFL came to the table a lot earlier, perhaps the game this week could have been at the SCG instead.

In summary Melbourne is not a two horse town

West Aussie checking in, but walking into the G last year on GF was something else. Meanwhile, walking into Subiaco is like walking into a oval shaped toilet with overpriced food to instantly shart out. Big difference.

I wish new members intent on trolling the main board would choose non-WA clubs to put in their ID's.
It makes us from the West look like idiots. That and the booing at everything at Subi.

Now as to Victoria and Vic footy. Still looks pretty darn healthy to me. 8 out of the last ten flags I think. Yeah not going anywhere.

Is the AFL still Victoria centric? Yeah I think so, but population and being the driver behind the formation of this league will do that, even decades after the fact.

Victorians themselves arent Victoria centric though. We tend to barrack for our own teams and if our team is not in the Grand Final we will barrack for whoever we dislike the least. That is not neccessarily a Victorian team.

Which leads back to your original point about some WA posters making the rest of you look like idiots. There is no intestate rivalrl fro mthe point of view of most Victorians. I dislike the Eagles no more or less than I dislike Richmond. For example. I have a list in my head from top to bottom of who i dislkike themost and its not geographical

That said....everybodys second favorite team, is the Doggies

WOOF WOOF

Every year at the same stadium. There are a bunch of other venues that can be used, that should be being used now. It's not difficiult to tear up the MCC contract. The two sole reasons as to why the grand final is only played at the MCG is because of people's inane fascination with the 'ol' times'. Use Grand Final and Subiaco in the same sentence and all of the Victorians will go apeshit just because of their irrelevant VFL history and childhood memories that they cling onto.

Subiaco should be condemned the place is a relic and you want to hold the main event of the footy year there? Adelaide Oval holds 50k, that'll go down well, no room for and any club supporters, corporates only. You want the game at Spotless like last week's Preliminary final? Please name these "bunch" of other venues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back