Rumour Will Wells come to Collingwood now that he's leaving North? YES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else find it strange this wasn't done yesterday?

He's an unrestricted, uncontracted free agent.
He's told North he's leaving
He's nominated Collingwood as his destination
Collingwood have offered him a contract he's accepted

So....why isn't he a Collingwood player yet?
I know i was surprised. Should get done today early surely you would think.

I don't know. Maybe we should start thinking he's going somewhere else and needlessly whip ourselves in to a panic. It just seems like the right thing to do.

I doubt it would happen but imagine if we took the deal off the table as soon as we realised we needed the cap space for Rockliff!

Wouldn't surprise me if it was for the purpose of getting all the promo material done knowing us.

I'd say, (hope) it's not a straight 3 yr contract.
Maybe the AFL needs to tick off the contract details.

In my view Phillips and Crocker are good enough to get games on their own accord next year. Wells plays through the middle whereas the other two play on the flanks. I would be more concerned if we got Del Santo as he would more likely take games off Phillips and Crocker.

Agree and I'd add that Wells is only one older player in a very youthful list. If swan was still playing nobody would be arguing that he was keeping youngsters out. Wells is the swan replacement

reckon it will be done today,wells signing

Wells today, Mayne tomorrow?

Could even be the other way around as Hine said yesterday at his door step interview at Etihad that the Mayne situation should be finalised in the next 24 hours.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because a Contract was not agreed on quite yet and Club and Manger has more than 1 thing to do.

If not done by close of business on Wednesday I would then start to worry

Could even be the other way around as Hine said yesterday at his door step interview at Etihad that the Mayne situation should be finalised in the next 24 hours.

I say be Announced at same time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much, Wells will stall the development of the younger blokes by forcing them back into the VFL. Wells will not help us win our 16th flag and every decision we make should take us one step closer to that goal. Also almost half of our last premiership side came of the rookie list. A late pick is not a guarantee but could be with us for 10 years. Wells has 1 or max 2 years left

I'm not as convinced making the kids spend more time in the VFL will stall their development. Certainly hasn't hampered players like Sicily at the Dawks. I think that a few may get their noses out of joint as our recent run of injuries may well have heightened their expectations of senior games but that's hardly an issue. At a minimum, we should now expect the kids to start dominating at VFL level consistently for prolonged periods before we promote them rather than have to due to injury. That can't be a bad thing.

Mayne is a restricted FA unless I'm mistaken so we'd have to wait for Freo to confirm if they'll match or not before we could sign him up officially.

Mayne is a restricted FA unless I'm mistaken so we'd have to wait for Freo to confirm if they'll match or not before we could sign him up officially.
freo only have to wait, about compensation is from the afl

I'm not as convinced making the kids spend more time in the VFL will stall their development. Certainly hasn't hampered players like Sicily at the Dawks. I think that a few may get their noses out of joint as our recent run of injuries may well have heightened their expectations of senior games but that's hardly an issue. At a minimum, we should now expect the kids to start dominating at VFL level consistently for prolonged periods before we promote them rather than have to due to injury. That can't be a bad thing.
Anyone would be unhappy if you are a kid getting a regular gig and and then the club recruits a 32 year old to play instead of you. As I said there is a big difference between retaining a player and recruiting one

I have no problems with guys like Phillips playing and developing in the VFL. The only reason he even got games this year was because of injuries. Funny that in 09/10 we didn't gift games to youngsters, they broke the door down with form in the VFL. Hawks have been doing it that way for years too.
Oh because we are gifting them games now? They play because they are in the best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back