Toast Round 11 = Collingwood 105-70 North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else notice how many times North smothered our hand balls? I can't remember a game with so many.
It seemed to me North went in with a plan to focus on doing that against us and it worked really well for them.
North set up pretty well against us. Denied us the corridor when they didn't have the ball, particularly from kick-ins.

Another big thing I felt they got right was creating separation between Murphy and Moore, through their spacing of Larkey and Coleman-Jones. It's how Carlton should've played last week, ensuring that Moore was unable to get off his man as easily as he did.

Stephenson also had a good game for them as they sought to use him as a link between their back half and their forwards. His pace was a real asset on the lead and he was able to be the one hitting up on the wing/half-forward before sending it into their forward 50.

Absolutely loved the results from this round, it was almost like a Collingwood supporter had a voodoo doll for all the other games - just about all the results went our way. Technically, a tiger's win would have suited us better than the Port win, but, I guess even with a voodoo doll, any self respecting Pie supporter couldn't bring themselves to gift the Tiges a win.

Like everyone else I cant stand Marvel. My wife came to Marvel for the first time in a long time and she commented how dead and soulless the ground was. Anyways a win is a win and we were trying a few things that last quarter. On a least two or three occasions Markov and Bobby Hill were lining up on the wing. Good to see we are trying something different when the situation allows.

At what cost though?

You go too hard now and we may end up having nothing come September - that manic pace we play can take a toll over a season. I'd prefer them to be cruising now and go hard come finals

Yes Buckley also loved "just get the win philosophy", whos to say that that behaviour pattern didnt creep into the 2018 GF when we were killing them after q1?

Also it didn't seem to hurt 2010 team, or 2000 bombers, or 01-03 Lions or 3 peat Hawks or Geelong or Richmond of recent.

All of them would bury you if they could.

I'm not a fan of going half hearted vs weak opposition and it often is what leads to injury aa players get caught in two minds on attacking the contest.

I'm actually happy mcrae has previously spoke on it tbh, shows he doesn't want them "cruising" vs anyone.

Like everyone else I cant stand Marvel. My wife came to Marvel for the first time in a long time and she commented how dead and soulless the ground was. Anyways a win is a win and we were trying a few things that last quarter. On a least two or three occasions Markov and Bobby Hill were lining up on the wing. Good to see we are trying something different when the situation allows.
Agree. It's an awful stadium. Even trying to get a chant up doesn't work in there either.

And Fly confirmed that they tried a few things.. some worked & some didn't.

They did seem to go a bit flat after Steele went off. It would have been a bit disheartening with the whole build up and he's clearly loved by them all.

4 points, top of the ladder. I'm not complaining. We don't want to be at our peak in May/June anyway.

We won Dave, just be happy :).

The way we play, we don't go out to bury teams. We just do enough to win them - as Fly say - play the minutes. It's great that we can flick the switch when needed, the team did it in the third quarter and the game was won. Why waste energy and risk injury trying to go full throttle in R11? Save that for the finals. I am happy that they bank the win and move on to the next game.
Spot on. They were trying different setups on wing & stoppage. Development and options is arguably more valuable than % given the gap to PA and Brisbane.

Since 2000, 10 of the eventual premiers were on top at Round 11. Though 13 weren't -- 4 were 2nd, 2 were 4th, 2 were 5th, 4 were 6th. 8th at rd 11 is the lowest (Bris in 2001).

But since the pre-finals bye was introduced only 2 of the 7 eventual premiers were on top at Round 11 - WC 2018 and Mel 2021.
2 were 4th.
3 were 6th at Rd 11 - Rich 2019 & 2020, Gee 2022.

This just in: 20 year-old player in his second season isn't absolutely perfect on every single possession.
domus was making a fair observation I thought the same of Hill as well. maybe a couple of times trying to be too cute?

I am sure the coaches will go through video and point out options. Neither were under pressure at the time.

Saw it at the ground and confirmed watching the replay during the 3rd quarter. Two North players tackling McReery and trying to bring him to ground. He just stood there with them hanging off him. He is a very strong unit.
I was surprised at his closing speed, locking himself in the team as a keeper.

Did anyone else notice how many times North smothered our hand balls? I can't remember a game with so many.
It seemed to me North went in with a plan to focus on doing that against us and it worked really well for them.

I just think we were over using it. Highly doubt Ratten has had an original thought in his life.

The only thing I wanted to touch on because it popped up twice on page 1 was who cares about being 3 wins and % ahead of 5th! The real battle for us in 2023 is avoiding Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide in week 3 of the finals. To do that we’ll need top 2 because I can’t see any Victorian team getting ahead of them from here outside of us. As it stands unless Port slip I’d almost prefer to end the season in 2nd instead of 1st.

Brisbane did the same and did it better.

Arseholes…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than Sideys injury, quite the perfect round for the pies results wise. View looks good from the top.
Only flaw was Port winning, otherwise it was ideal! We're getting a nice buffer on top of the ladder now. With interstate sides threatening, I want a top two finish for the home qualifying final at the G!

Here is another factor we need to keep in mind. Judging by how our reserve team went today, we have absolutely nothing left in the cupboard. We can't afford anymore injuries or we are going to expose our soft underbelly. We should be happy to just get four points without any injuries.
Everyone on here obsessed with selecting some of those VFL boys can't be serious. We're challenging for a flag and they're just not up to it.

I don’t recall that.

Can't remember whether it was the first or third quarter (It was at my end of the ground, I was in the AFL members which is why it was either first or third).

He got the ball in the pocket, turned around to look at the goals, literally had 2 team mates only 5-10 metres away to give off a handball and despite having an opponent clearly in front of him, he still chose to try and do the miracle goal thing and burned two of his team mates.

Both looked incredibly disappointed (one being Jamie) and I think at least one let him know.

It was super obvious so I'm shocked more didn't notice.

Everyone on here obsessed with selecting some of those VFL boys can't be serious. We're challenging for a flag and they're just not up to it.
Agreed. And besides most being mentioned are midfielders. No way would I consider resting Pendles, Mitchell, Adams (as much as his kicking frustrates me) particularly whilst Sidebottom is now out for a few weeks.

I've seen close games at Marvel with electric atmospheres. There was nothing to get the crowd up and about yesterday. I have seen flat games at the G too.

People say the same about Waverley but I also saw some brilliant games with great atmosphere out there

Last edited:
The only thing I wanted to touch on because it popped up twice on page 1 was who cares about being 3 wins and % ahead of 5th! The real battle for us in 2023 is avoiding Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide in week 3 of the finals. To do that we’ll need top 2 because I can’t see any Victorian team getting ahead of them from here outside of us. As it stands unless Port slip I’d almost prefer to end the season in 2nd instead of 1st.
I'm alright seeing either of them at the G with a 85-90k Pies crowd.

Yes Buckley also loved "just get the win philosophy", whos to say that that behaviour pattern didnt creep into the 2018 GF when we were killing them after q1?

Also it didn't seem to hurt 2010 team, or 2000 bombers, or 01-03 Lions or 3 peat Hawks or Geelong or Richmond of recent.

All of them would bury you if they could.

I'm not a fan of going half hearted vs weak opposition and it often is what leads to injury aa players get caught in two minds on attacking the contest.

I'm actually happy mcrae has previously spoke on it tbh, shows he doesn't want them "cruising" vs anyone.

You’re talking like they all put big orange cones on their heads and let North do exactly what they wanted when in reality the drop off in intensity is likely very small. It’s not like North weren’t without opportunity in the first 3 quarters.

You’re talking like they all put big orange cones on their heads and let North do exactly what they wanted when in reality the drop off in intensity is likely very small. It’s not like North weren’t without opportunity in the first 3 quarters.
North played well. Would not under estimate their effort. They would beat a few teams playing at that level.

I'm alright seeing either of them at the G with a 85-90k Pies crowd.
As am I, but if we slip to 3rd or 4th there’s every chance week 1 is in Adelaide and week 3 Brisbane. When the interstate teams are up and about top 2 is the big prize.

Can't remember whether it was the first or third quarter (It was at my end of the ground, I was in the AFL members which is why it was either first or third).

He got the ball in the pocket, turned around to look at the goals, literally had 2 team mates only 5-10 metres away to give off a handball and despite having an opponent clearly in front of him, he still chose to try and do the miracle goal thing and burned two of his team mates.

Both looked incredibly disappointed (one being Jamie) and I think at least one let him know.

It was super obvious so I'm shocked more didn't notice.

I don’t have an issue with players taking the responsibility on themselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Equally though, when they don’t and pass it to a team mate, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There’s no guarantee either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back