Review Round 21 = Hawthorn 105-73 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Or maybe being one of the best intercepting and attacking defenders in the league. But yeh, have a dig at our captain because we lost 2 games in a row and sit top of the ladder. Such a bad place to be.
Noted.

I’ll still rag on him if he warrants it, and he warranted it both last and this week.

Shouldn’t you still be sitting at the ground, not really a true supporter if you don’t stay in your seat all week, none of this soft “staying to the final siren crap”. You need to be there win/loss game/no game. 24/7 365.

Noted.

I’ll still rag on him if he warrants it, and he warranted it both last and this week.

Shouldn’t you still be sitting at the ground, not really a true supporter if you don’t stay in your seat all week, none of this soft “staying to the final siren crap”. You need to be there win/loss game/no game. 24/7 365.
Hey you can leave when you want. But if you're leaving early and complaining when your team is top of the ladder, it's clear you're a fair weather bandwagoner supporter. 16 and 4. It's just too much to deal with!

I thought dirty at the ground but I watched the replay a few more times and it was opportunistic, but you also need to expect that kind of contact at AFL level.

It certainly wasn’t a good look for the game.
Front on contact with no eyes for the ball and now our jet is out for 6 weeks because of it
1691292874720.png

There seems to be a belief among the group that they can play 5 mins of footy to win it (2nd qtr) and just cruise the rest of the game.

And when it came time to get going, Fly threw the kitchen sink at cb, Beau and then Bruzzy, neither worked.

Not to mention our run / handball / 45 deg kick into corridor was sloppy and error riddled, not coz the lack of effort but coz the opposition pressured us into turnover, then we got exposed the other way.

That's part of the reason they got 59 i50 as well as getting belted at cb and around the ball generally.

We've been found out folks, and the oppo can stop it, I can't see us continuing this way and winning footy, nor can I see a change of game in the last 3 games to get ready for finals.

Out in straight sets.

I’d rather have cool experienced heads in finals, so I’d wouldn’t agree with all those changes.
That's fine. My issue is we haven't tried to blood any young players this year and stuck with veterans poor form many times, especially when the looked tired.

It's now likely too late to even try to change that approach

Ok fellow football geniuses

We have won more games than any other team this year. We are two games clear and percentage than the second best team. We are in a position to win the flag. In fact, every other coach would like to be in our position. As supporters we are having an amazing run.

But we have lost two games in a row to teams who gain huge benefits from beating us.

Fact, we cant stay up all season long with the intensity we have been showing.
We need to experiment and manage training loads. We have to manage the run to the finals.

For all the posters who say Hawthorn bullied us. You are the bullies. Shame on you for some disgusting opinions directed at out coach and players. Your lives must be perfect and everyday one where you don't make mistakes. We lost two games of footy. None of you experts could coach an AFL team or play at the level.

Constructive criticism and opinion is fine but back off your smart arse cliches. For those revelling in being negative about our great club don't bother turning up for next weeks game.

Yesterday our best wasn't good enough. The next three weeks will be challenging with injuries and positional changes. I have seen us win wooden spoons. That was tough. This season is amazing and there's nothing you screen coaches can say to change that.

I love this club. Win or lose.

Pull your heads in and stfu about how bad our coach and players are.

You are actually embarrassing yourselves!!

Go pies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What was wrong with it?I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.
We learned a lot last week (Carlton). There was so much we learned last week...

Didn't learn about tagging as this game almost mirrored last week... .

I said as much - it’s in the head - to my mates at the footy yesterday. The fumbling and second guessing. The times when we looked disorganised, with players not sure where to go. I saw Pendles and Crisp arguing about a breakdown in defence which eventually resulted in a goal. While they were arguing there were at least two Hawthorn forwards on their own who could easily have received a pass and kicked the goal. But they didn’t need to, because their mate kicked it.

Groans all round.

But the other issue is that players seem to be waiting for others to take the initiative, without doing it themselves. The exception being McCreery. He was wonderful yesterday, compared to his teammates.
It's not good when you see players arguing, i seem to remember Bruz have a go at one of our fwds as well.

Beau was fierce, i want to see Beau in the centre a bit more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a belief among the group that they can play 5 mins of footy to win it (2nd qtr) and just cruise the rest of the game.

And when it came time to get going, Fly threw the kitchen sink at cb, Beau and then Bruzzy, neither worked.

Not to mention our run / handball / 45 deg kick into corridor was sloppy and error riddled, not coz the lack of effort but coz the opposition pressured us into turnover, then we got exposed the other way.

That's part of the reason they got 59 i50 as well as getting belted at cb and around the ball generally.

We've been found out folks, and the oppo can stop it, I can't see us continuing this way and winning footy, nor can I see a change of game in the last 3 games to get ready for finals.

Out in straight sets.
Whos winning the flag?

I'm concerned that some playters have hit a wall. Might not be 'the' wall (as in gone forever) but a wall for this season.

I posted after round 1 that we play a highly taxing game. Its very difficult to sustain that intensity over the course of a season.

I've been very positive about our chances, but realistically we are in trouble.
Ahh, now we're getting to the cause.

I've stated more than once on these boards that our game style, you can't play like that all game every game, hence we get a qtr here and a qtr there.

In finals and the big dance, we are going to need to play our game for the whole game or get done, so in effect it is our achilles heel, much like in 2018. Difficult to defeat yet equally taxing.

Earlier in the year I was comfortable knowing if we need to turn it on we could, even after last week I thought it was a blip on the radar. But yesterday confirmed fears that the opposition not only know how to defeat us but are now able to do it.

- Pressure, all they need is to pressure our run / handball game to force turnover and they score the other way, because we're exposed in d50 coz we've pushed up to have run support in our game style and are outnumbered behind the ball.

- CB, after Fly throwing Beau and Bruzzy in at cb, nothing changed, so it wasn't effort, we're just no good.

Chris Johnson was on the radio yesterday and commented that even though Naicos was being tagged, no-one was helping Nick. He said that if a player is being tagged, it should be known that the player is tagging the whole team and Nick should've been protected by his team mates.
Without knowing the instructions given by Fly, it did seem strange Nick was left to shake the tag on his own.

We have won more games than any other team this year. We are two games clear and percentage than the second best team. We are in a position to win the flag. In fact, every other coach would like to be in our position. As supporters we are having an amazing run.

But we have lost two games in a row to teams who gain huge benefits from beating us.

We need to experiment and manage training loads. We have to manage the run to the finals.

For all the posters who say Hawthorn bullied us. You are the bullies. Shame on you for some disgusting opinions directed at out coach and players. Your lives must be perfect and everyday one where you don't make mistakes. We lost two games of footy. None of you experts could coach an AFL team or play at the level.

Constructive criticism and opinion is fine but back off your smart arse cliches. For those revelling in being negative about our great club don't bother turning up for next weeks game.

Yesterday our best wasn't good enough. The next three weeks will be challenging with injuries and positional changes. I have seen us win wooden spoons. That was tough. This season is amazing and there's nothing you screen coaches can say to change that.

Go pies.

Do you come from the land of milk and honey. * you, if I want to vent about my club, I will. I want to win the flag, I'm sick of being runner up

Do you come from the land of milk and honey. * you, if I want to vent about my club, I will. I want to win the flag, I'm sick of being runner up
Sounds like the fish in the Werribee river aren’t biting today.

Go pies.

So many 'supporters' seem to be revelling in this situation. So many 'I told you so' .. agree, it's embarrassing.

Port have lost 4 in a row. Dee's currently struggling against North. Lions can't win away from the Gabba & also lost to the Hawks. Look how quickly Blues turned their game around. They were the laughing stock of the comp a few weeks ago. Maybe the comp is just a lot closer than we all thought.

Chris Johnson was on the radio yesterday and commented that even though Naicos was being tagged, no-one was helping Nick. He said that if a player is being tagged, it should be known that the player is tagging the whole team and Nick should've been protected by his team mates.
Without knowing the instructions given by Fly, it did seem strange Nick was left to shake the tag on his own.
Said the same in match thread.

The great Hawks, Cats amd Lions teams never let the opposition easily tag their stars. The tagger and other players targeting the star would get the same treatment back their way.

So many 'supporters' seem to be revelling in this situation. So many 'I told you so' .. agree, it's embarrassing.

Port have lost 4 in a row. Dee's currently struggling against North. Lions can't win away from the Gabba & also lost to the Hawks. Look how quickly Blues turned their game around. They were the laughing stock of the comp a few weeks ago. Maybe the comp is just a lot closer than we all thought.
Arh, the good ol' days.

I’m spitballing here but I wonder how much McRae is “holding back” so to speak because we have put ourselves in a position to do so?

I wonder if he wanted to make moves that he would love to do and show but doesn’t want to do do a month out from finals and declare all his cards.

Anyway time will tell but food for thought.
This reads like hope, I think we all hope that, but it's clear most of us doubt it.

Why? Because regardless of ladder position you shouldn't flirt with form, so it's doubtful this is intended from the mc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back