Review Round 21 = Hawthorn 105-73 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Checkers, if the selectors want to persist with three tall (er) forwards, they need more coaching on how to make more space for each other. They all fly for together for the same ball. Whoever is deemed the best, most accurate passer of the ball needs to play further out from goal IMHO.

We played better during the period without a ruckman. We had more run and kept the ball in our forward 50.

We were better when Daicos and Markov played half back. We want to run and handball, can’t do that if you don’t have runners.

We’re going to exit Finals in straight sets this season. No team fears us. Most games - even the ones we won - we haven’t played more than one or two really good quarters.

We are way too hot and cold and give every opponent a chance to beat us. And now thanks to Carlton and Hawthorn, they all know how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only chance at the moment is playing Brisbane at the G

This is seriously concerning and I'm struggling find ways we get ourselves out of this hole.

Can't keep blaming the Flu ffs every week do you think other teams don't get sick.

That Naicos mark and collision with Blanck....dirty or fair?
Blanck is not exactly famous for his talent.
Sam Mitchel had now reinvented him as a talentless thug
Front on contact with no eyes for the ball and now our jet is out for 6 weeks because of it
View attachment 1766337
that pic is sus
Blanck is 197cm.
He has dropped his knees to stand head heath with Nick to shoulder Nick Daicos in the head.
Clumsily dropped his knee into Nicks thigh.

that pic is sus
Blanck is 197cm.
He has dropped his knees to stand head heath with Nick to shoulder Nick Daicos in the head.

Not sure he intended to clash legs. Blanck could have easily done significant knee injury to himself.

I first noticed the change in the Pies play at the recent Adelaide game. Crows would short pass and then someone would run past for a handball to break the defensive zone lines.
Then the Blues game Pies zone defense and Blues tight man on man defense to make the Pies outlet harder to find.
Hawks extended that with faster pick up of the opposing Pies player if the ball was turned over.
Why can't the Pies play man on man (as an option) when the opposition is coming out of their defensive end ?

Obviously these numbers can be a little skewed when you get an injury during a game, especially to one of your best runners, i.e. Sidebottom in Round 11 or N Daicos on Saturday...

Bolded a couple of semi-interesting items

Up until Round 7 we were averaging 286km per game. Round 8 to Round 21 we have averaged 277km. An over-all average of 280.75km.

Our highest differential in distance covered was Round 10 when we outran Carlton 275km to 269km (+6km). Our worst differential in distance covered was Round 21 when Hawthorn outran us 292km to 282km (-10km).

Our highest distance ran this year was 301km in Round 1 against Geelong, who similarly ran 302km (-1km). Our lowest distance ran this year was 260km in Round 11 against North Melbourne, a team which only just covered us with 261km.

We have won the distance-covered battle 9 times and have lost it 11 times. However, over-all for the season it is an average of 280.75km ran to our opponents 281.65 (-0.9km).

Our highest differential in sprinting efforts was Round 11 against North Melbourne when we put down 339 sprints to their 254 (+85). Our worst differential was actually Round 1 against Geelong, where we put down 240 sprint efforts to their 316 (-76).

Our highest sprint effort this year was 343 in Round 17 against the Bulldogs. Our lowest sprint effort this year was 230 against Melbourne on King's Birthday.

We have won the sprints made battle 15 times and lost it just 5 times. 4 of these 5 times have been in the last 8 games. The other was against Geelong in Round 1.

I find it difficult to come to any meaningful conclusion about this game because basically every facet was off and almost every player didn't perform to standard. It's also very hard to single out any one individual.

that pic is sus
Blanck is 197cm.
Sam Mitchell in his playing days was known to drop his knees into the thighs, knees & calves of opponents to mostly create corkies or bruising to put opponents out of the game or at least get them playing hurt. Sam Mitchell was a dirty thug and I have no doubt he is moulding his team in his own image. The unsociable Hawks of his playing days got their name for a reason.

Nick was absolutely lined up by that thug Hawk player and no commentator had the balls to call it out. Pathetic.

That Naicos mark and collision with Blanck....dirty or fair?
It was a late front on contact bump with no eyes for the ball after a bloke had marked it. Dirty. but not enough force to be a talking point - except for the umpire not paying 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coaches votes continue to intrigue. I suspect McRae knew Nick was sore and didn't rate Mcguinness' game as much as Mitchell who likely gave him a 2.
Daicos said himself he thinks he went into the game with bone bruising. Said when he went onto the ground felt sore.

Daicos said himself he thinks he went into the game with bone bruising. Said when he went onto the ground felt sore.

Yes that was my point exactly.

Also stupid Healy and Cornes surprised on the radio that Finn only got 2 votes. Have they not heard the news that he played sore then got injured 😂

Sam Mitchell in his playing days was known to drop his knees into the thighs, knees & calves of opponents to mostly create corkies or bruising to put opponents out of the game or at least get them playing hurt. Sam Mitchell was a dirty thug and I have no doubt he is moulding his team in his own image. The unsociable Hawks of his playing days got their name for a reason.

Nick was absolutely lined up by that thug Hawk player and no commentator had the balls to call it out. Pathetic.
Was at the game and couldn’t believe that wasn’t a 50m penalty, especially when you compare it to the one against Murphy in the second that killed our momentum.

Has there been a game this season where BOTH Mihochek and McStay have played well? Too same-same?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's easy to be wise after the event, but I've been expressing the view to Collingwood friends and family that I didn't want to go the last 6 rounds undefeated. It may just be superstition, or something else altogether, but I thought we needed to drop a game to recharge the batteries. Two games clear and it becomes problematic in my eyes.

Every team brings their best to us, regardless of where we sit on the ladder. This year, add the top of the table element and it's a classic recipe for close games and surprising losses.

We looked soft and out of form on Saturday. Hawthorn was fantastic. I'm not buying in on the media hyperbole. We are two games clear, with our play-maker probably done for the year. Time to step back up and prove why we're two games clear.

My money's on Collingwood Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back