Past Dean 'The Difference' Towers - delisted 2018. COMING SOON - The Festival of Deano

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on moving Towers into the midfield if he re-signs?
Our midfield is undersized and slow, he addresses both those problems.
If he works hard and applies himself, no reason why it can't happen.
*waits for abuse*

I've been wondering why this hasn't happened in the seniors tbh.

Then again I am a bit of a towers fan

I've been wondering why this hasn't happened in the seniors tbh.

Then again I am a bit of a towers fan

I'm not a Towers fan tbh but he has a contract offer in front of him so the club must see something there.
It's guys like Towers who will make up our bottom six next year if/when they play seniors.
Remember what won us two flags, work rate, application and EVERYONE contributing!

*waits for abuse*

I liked his game against St Kilda this year when he was in the Midfield.

Would not be against it to be honest. I still don't rate him very much but he went hard at the ball that night in particular and impressed me a lot.

*waits for abuse*
I like this... it can't be any worse after all :p

I liked his game against St Kilda this year when he was in the Midfield.

Would not be against it to be honest. I still don't rate him very much but he went hard at the ball that night in particular and impressed me a lot.
He can replace Mitchell's role! Terrible decisions, can tackle, is a little quicker. Seems like an upgrade to me

*waits for abuse*
Don't mind the idea, he looked promising at stages this year in the midfield. His defensive game will need a lot of improvement to nail down a spot in there though.

The facts are at this stage he sits somewhere between 20 and 25 on our list and has the size, pace and natural ability to be a very good tall outside winger/midfielder/half forward for us.

You have to be blind freddy to not see that.

However for some reason he lacks confidence in his ability, which in turn translates into him looking indecisive with the ball and his decisions and he is not using his pace and skills that he has to his advantage.

It will click one day soon and when it does he will be a vital part of the team.

The facts are at this stage he sits somewhere between 20 and 25 on our list and has the size, pace and natural ability to be a very good tall outside winger/midfielder/half forward for us.

You have to be blind freddy to not see that.

However for some reason he lacks confidence in his ability, which in turn translates into him looking indecisive with the ball and his decisions and he is not using his pace and skills that he has to his advantage.

It will click one day soon and when it does he will be a vital part of the team.

The other alternative is when he has the ball in hand and looks up at our dysfunctional forward line and thinks, WTFATD

I like the idea of towers in our midfield. I saw him break away from congestion several times with his acceleration. He just needs a simple role. See ball, get ball, break away and dispose. Ideally near the f50 with crumbers around to pounce on loose balls. I'd be happy if he broke away and kicked chaos balls into the f50 and let the smalls go to work.

I like the idea of towers in our midfield. I saw him break away from congestion several times with his acceleration. He just needs a simple role. See ball, get ball, break away and dispose. Ideally near the f50 with crumbers around to pounce on loose balls. I'd be happy if he broke away and kicked chaos balls into the f50 and let the smalls go to work.

Did that against Richmond (after tackling someone for htb).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that may be bit too complicated for Towers.

Towers had a genuinely very good patch through the middle of the year, bookended by some poor performances with a few brain fades thrown in.

You just hope he can put it all together on a consistent basis because the upside is pretty big.

Although he is 26 going on 27 he has only played 30 games at senior level.

Id give him another year. He is a bit of depth if nothing else.

he is actually a good long kick as well. Unfortunately on some of those occasions when he has broken from the stoppage he has found himself running forwards where there is literally nothing ahead of him to kick to. his inability to short pass or handball successfully then becomes really noticeable.

Having said that we do this a bit - the no u turns rule i dont think is applied at the swans - i think we take the view that u turns are perfectly acceptable as an element of game play because of how we structure in front of the ball.

A similar example was one involving X richards in the gf when he won the ball on the wing and beat his mand and had a bounce and there was literally nothing ahead of him other than mcglynn who was nowhere near where he could kick the ball to. he coughed it up.

I know, as I said, I personally don't really rate him, but the fact remains he will probably be on our list next year and he is likely to get a few games. I also think he is the sort of player who might go ok if he is given a simple role.

He can replace Mitchell's role! Terrible decisions, can tackle, is a little quicker. Seems like an upgrade to me

In the Grand Final alone Mitchell had more than half the amount of tackles that Towers laid all season. Averages less than 2 tackles a game.

His season high tackles was 5 in the wet against Melbourne, had 27 possessions that day. I have a feeling he is going to continue to frustrate us next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back