Analysis The Stats and nothing but the Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
The purpose of this thread is to discuss AFL Stats. Primarily that would be the Swans, and obviously comparisons if that's what floats your boat.

If you're going to use multiple acronyms in your spreadsheets posts ensure you have a reference point for others to view.

Last edited:

Sydney v GWS - Centre bounce stats​

RUCKSCBAsCBA %Centre clearances
B. Grundy2376.72
H. McLean723.3
K. Briggs2066.73
J. Riccardi516.7
A. Cadman516.71
SYDNEY MIDS
I. Heeney15502
L. Parker15502
C. Warner1756.73
J. Rowbottom2066.72
J. McInerney620
J. Jordon723.31
E. Gulden6201
A. Sheldrick26.7
T. Papley13.3
GWS MIDS
S. Coniglio2066.72
T. Green2686.72
J. Kelly18601
C. Ward1963.31
X. O'Halloran620
T. Bedford13.3

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Me seeing the thread title

Sydney v GWS - Centre bounce stats​

RUCKSCBAsCBA %Centre clearances
B. Grundy2376.72
H. McLean723.3
K. Briggs2066.73
J. Riccardi516.7
A. Cadman516.71
SYDNEY MIDS
I. Heeney15502
L. Parker15502
C. Warner1756.73
J. Rowbottom2066.72
J. McInerney620
J. Jordon723.31
E. Gulden6201
A. Sheldrick26.7
T. Papley13.3
GWS MIDS
S. Coniglio2066.72
T. Green2686.72
J. Kelly18601
C. Ward1963.31
X. O'Halloran620
T. Bedford13.3
CBA clearances 13-10. Not too bad against a very good ruck and midfield.

Potentially unpopular opinion - I think all of the tackles and one percenters which create turnovers that lead to scoring chains should be counted as part of that chain and credited as a score involvement, not just the possessions in it.

Potentially unpopular opinion - I think all of the tackles and one percenters which create turnovers that lead to scoring chains should be counted as part of that chain and credited as a score involvement, not just the possessions in it.
Not without some logic but horribly difficult to track through a ruck with multiple "tackles" and hard contacts. A bit like crediting blocks and shepherds. Some are critical and some meaningless.

Not without some logic but horribly difficult to track through a ruck with multiple "tackles" and hard contacts. A bit like crediting blocks and shepherds. Some are critical and some meaningless.
The ones that are critical would be counted and the ones that are meaningless would not be. I think it's usually quite clear when a player is forced into turning the ball over to the opposition and when it's just an unforced error through poor execution of skills.

**** it. I might try to keep track of it this season.

The ones that are critical would be counted and the ones that are meaningless would not be. I think it's usually quite clear when a player is forced into turning the ball over to the opposition and when it's just an unforced error through poor execution of skills.

Good luck. Life's too short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possessions is only one of the factors. Goals, behinds, hitouts, tackles etc all count into the algorithm. At a guess, I'd say his high hitout and tackle count would be significant.
So I'm guessing tap outs are rated highly by the stats guys. If Grundy keeps ranking this high throughout the season it makes you wonder what Hickey and Ladhams were doing. (Hickey's body was shot).

Or just wait for the AI app. It 's not far away.

You know they say that all AFL teams are created equal, but you look at the Swans and you look at rest of the AFL and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another AFL team, you got a 50/50% chance of winning. But the Swans are a genetic freak and we're not normal! So you got a 25% chance, AT BEST, to beat us. Then you add an opposition to the mix, and their chances of winning go drastically down. They've got a 33 1/3% chance of winning, but we've got a 66 and 2/3% chance of winning, because the opposition KNOWS they can't beat us and they're not even gonna try! So whoever we play this season, take your 33 1/3% chance, minus our 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3% chance of winning against us. But then take our 75% chance of winning, and then add 66 2/3%, and we have a 141 2/3% chance of winning at anytime. You see, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for the opposition at any given time. But I'm gonna break it down for everyone. Would you rather be with the Swans? Or would you rather be with the opposition?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back