Paps and Blakey dragged by the AFR

Remove this Banner Ad

The article was a bit over the top, but not a great look for Papley. You gotta wait until after a footy career for some things - particular stupid things that may encourage others to harm their lives.

I find it hard to believe that Papley didn’t consider the contradiction before starting the podcast. I have a feeling it will be the first and only episode of the series.

“When the gates open if your arse doesn’t quiver just a little bit, you haven’t had enough on,” says the intro to the racing segment.

This kind of messaging may help someone with a gambling problem to self rationalise punting too much and hurting their family and/or future.

It’s fine if they want to say those things in jest to mates in private (although I still think it is a stupid thing to normalise), but a public podcast is just irresponsible.

Whether they like it or not, a huge chunk of their pay packet comes from people looking up to them. If they want to accept to the pay, they also need to accept the responsibility.

I think it's a s**t look and could have waited until post footy career. As someone else pointed out though, it would be hypocritical of the club to tell them not to do it.

Ole mate that wrote its a bit of a edgy kent. Hence (once)being in charge of Buzzfeed.

One of the first of the twitter journos.

He's also a moron with questionable ethics.
This. The guy writing it was the editor of click bait central in Australia with a personal track record of being suspended by his former employer for questionable ethics. He now throws stones while working in a glass house that receives a significant portion of its revenue from sports betting (3aw, 9, 2GB etc). Whilst for me sports betting and its advertising in general needs to reigned in, this type of journalistic hypocrisy needs to be called out.

This. The guy writing it was the editor of click bait central in Australia with a personal track record of being suspended by his former employer for questionable ethics. He now throws stones while working in a glass house that receives a significant portion of its revenue from sports betting (3aw, 9, 2GB etc). Whilst for me sports betting and its advertising in general needs to reigned in, this type of journalistic hypocrisy needs to be called out.

Modern society delights in passing moral judgements.

This article is nothing more than click-bait promising a holier-than-thou pile-on for a couple of blokes doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Gambling is an absolute cancer on society. In many ways worse than smack. If Paps doesn’t know of the horrendous damage it causes, he needs to open his eyes.

Lost a lot of respect for him over this.
Yep. Some years ago, a co-workers husband suicided as a direct result of gambling addiction. Left a grieving wife and family and a horrendous debt she is probably still paying for.

Cancer on society is the perfect way to describe it

I'm probably not the best person to talk about this (Father was a famous greyhound trainer and have worked for Sportsbet).

But several of our playes (Tom Papley, Nick Blakey, Harry Cunningham, Will Hayward, Justin McInerney, Dylan Stevens and his dad Rob, Ryan Clarke and his father Paul and Tim Collis (Papley's father's best friend)) own a horse together and went viral for celebrating its maiden win together.

Honestly think his podcast isn't hurting anyone (bigger problem here is sports gambling advertising), it isn't affiliated with the club or the AFL in any official way and he is literally just talking about a few of his passions.

I hate gambling. Also recognise that most people don't feel the same and it's fine to have a punt.

s**t like this is at the borderline. I find it helps to liken it to booze. I am a homebrewer. I'm really into craft beer. My cousin is a winemaker and through that I've developed an appreciation for winemaking. If I was a footy player, I'd happily do a podcast about the finer points of beer brewing, wine making, distilling, etc, while also being against the blatant advertisement of excessive alcohol consumption in a sporting context.

So from that perspective, some guys who are into horses having a podcast about the industry etc is fine, and I've said as much in defence of Papley being into horse racing in the past. Not my bag, but it's fine, and not necessarily in conflict with the rejection of gambling advertisements in our game.

Some of the specifics give me pause though. THAT'S where it gets problematic. The quivering arse s**t. That's bad. That's like saying "if you're not getting hammered off your own homebrew then you're not doing it right". No. It's not about the activity, it's about the risks you're taking with the activity.

Ole mate that wrote its a bit of a edgy kent. Hence (once)being in charge of Buzzfeed.

One of the first of the twitter journos.

He's also a moron with questionable ethics.

Yes, his antagonistic un-necessary aggression makes him sound like an Adelaide supporter who got a parking ticket after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back