Next generation Test batsmen

Who will be the next star test batsman? (multiple selections allowed)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump, which youngsters play spin bowling the best?
1456908053080.jpg

Playing spin in Australia is different to Asia.
That is very true, but you would still think the best players of spin in Australia would have the best chance of becoming the best players of spin in Asia.

Unfortunately we never seem to go down the horses for courses track with our batsmen over there, only our bowlers.

It'd be nice to have one or two players that can step in when necessary while letting the other batsman know that it's horses for courses. But Australia's batting doesn't run that deep.

How shitzen would it be if certain players got to fill their boots at home and the others get the tough tours? I think you'd find some real resentment going on amongst team mates. Even more than usual.

How shitzen would it be if certain players got to fill their boots at home and the others get the tough tours? I think you'd find some real resentment going on amongst team mates. Even more than usual.

Especially when one is linked to all the fame and the big sponsorship deals

Well yes, of course it is but I wasn't specifying either way. Now that I think of it, Bancroft made a nice 100 in India when the A squad toured there last year. Pretty sure Handscomb also played very well.

Handscomb got a 91 and two ducks in those matches. Bancroft got a 150 something and another 51.

Usman did little but you'd expect that. He did better in the one day matches. You'd expect that too.

Possibly, but maybe we need to pick the best possible team and not worry about coddling players. Either approach has its issues.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/l...dominate-mcdonalds-premier-cricket/2016-10-10

Just what our next generation of batsmen need. Roads at club level. 5 teams passed 400 in the one day and another 2 passed 350, whilst the totals in 2 other games came to 11/360 and 13/330. All up 3819 runs in 10 matches. I can't imagine there has ever been more runs in a single day (of 2-day matches) of first grade cricket in Sydney.

Does nothing for the batsmen and nothing for the bowlers.

Last edited:
http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/l...dominate-mcdonalds-premier-cricket/2016-10-10

Just what our next generation of batsmen need. Roads at club level. 5 teams passed 400 in the one day and another 2 passed 350, whilst the totals in 2 other games came to 11/360 and 13/330. All up 3819 runs in 10 matches. I can't imagine there has ever been more runs in a single day (of 2-day matches) of first grade cricket in Sydney.

Does nothing for the batsmen and nothing for the bowlers.

Batsmen are playing for 20/20 careers not for a test spot.
Hurstville Oval, as an example, has had plenty of runs scored this year but has also been great if you bowl the right length and line.

Could be wrong but isn't there discontent around the ball in Sydney Grade cricket as well?
There has been yes. Plenty of criticism that no one can get the ball to consistently swing. Two of the best swing bowlers in Sydney really struggled last season. Josh Lalor (has played plenty of BBL and a bit of shield) is a consistent 35 wicket a season player but took 8 wickets in 8 matches. Shane Mott is usually good for 25 wickets a season (when fit) but took 3 in 8 matches. It might just be coincidental but I wouldn't think so. Lalor has taken 11 wickets in 3 games to start this season and Mott is playing 3rd grade so not sure if the problem still exists, but there was definitely unhappiness from a lot of bowlers.

Kookaburra balls are getting worse IMO. They're just not symmetrical. Impossible to keep the seam upright. It wobbles all over the place. In a box of a dozen Turf balls (the first class ball) only three would be of good quality from my observations over the last couple of seasons.

Then three ok
Three average
Three poor

Jordan Silk got pumped up wayyy too much after one shield final 100, when our batting was absolutely atrocious that season. Remember watching that final on fox, wasn't a convincing innings. I see he averages 30ish in FC cricket now, despite Tassie usually being a seamer, I still think that average is pretty representative of his ability.

Jordan Silk got pumped up wayyy too much after one shield final 100, when our batting was absolutely atrocious that season. Remember watching that final on fox, wasn't a convincing innings. I see he averages 30ish in FC cricket now, despite Tassie usually being a seamer, I still think that average is pretty representative of his ability.
Silk started really well, but then had serious mental health problems which set him back.

What's Austin Waugh like for those who have watched him?

What's Austin Waugh like for those who have watched him?
Played against my nephew a few times when they were about 13. Watched him once so viewing a 13 year old once doesn't give you much of an accurate picture. Looked pretty solid at the crease and had a nice technique. Scored 30-odd from memory. Didn't hit the ball very hard, but he was just a boy at that age. He's still a skinny kid and was even skinnier then. Will certainly help if/when he fills out. If his last name wasn't Waugh he would've just been another kid you look at and think 'yep, looks pretty handy'. He certainly didn't have any stand out features that shouted 'wow' at you. He scored a 100 (or close to) a couple of years later which my brother was at and he said it was a very good innings.

Sounds like he has developed a bit since I saw him at 13. He's 16 or 17 now and even at a young age people were saying he was really switched on, so I get the feeling he has and will continue to take advantage of the massive resources his family can provide him in terms of training and knowledge. It certainly won't hurt having that name whenever he is locked in a selection battle with other guys. Did ok in Green Shield (Sydney under 16's) last year without setting the world on fire (5 innings, 140 runs at 46). Apparently the 100 he scored in the U/17's final a month or so ago was a cracker. Playing second grade this season with Sutherland, but I wouldn't be surprised if is a season too early for that level.

So yeah definitely talented no doubt about that. But no more so than probably 50 cricketers around the country his age.

In 5 years time I hope we see something like:

Bancroft
Labuschagne (optimistic, I know)
Smith (c)
Patterson
Handscomb
Head
Whiteman

As our top 7.

Back