Next generation Test batsmen

Who will be the next star test batsman? (multiple selections allowed)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Bancroft be a surprise?

Because some are doubtful as to whether he's really that good, and wanted to see whether he could put together a couple of years of form, or if he was just the next Wes Robinson or Liam Davis.

He scores extremely slowly too, which does colour perception too, for better or worse (is he getting tied down and struggling to rotate strike, or is he just extra watchful and patient?).

Because some are doubtful as to whether he's really that good, and wanted to see whether he could put together a couple of years of form, or if he was just the next Wes Robinson or Liam Davis.

He scores extremely slowly too, which does colour perception too, for better or worse (is he getting tied down and struggling to rotate strike, or is he just extra watchful and patient?).
Watchful and patient. He's not fazed by getting tied down.

He's not the next Wes Robinson or Liam Davis. He's already got 7 first class tons.

I guess it's only Dunk and maybe Bancroft who are chances to make 1000 Shield runs this season. Somewhat surprising names.

I don't think Bancroft is surprising. He is clearly a player on the rise. It is brilliant that he backed up his good form from last season.

Think you have the wrong idea with the disparaging of Davis. He made enormous strides as a batsman but sadly had the eye injury which finished his entire career as a cricketer right when things started to happen for him.

I get the point, but Davis actually turned the corner before his eye injury forced him to retire.

Incredibly negative attitude. Bloke deserves some credit surely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Bancroft's driving - but I'm certain that sustained short pitched bowling would do him in.

His hands are very low. Hard to do anything from there.

All of a sudden we've got 10+ plus young batsmen who look like they will kick on to be worthy of test selection.
Hopefully they will, but let's see where they are this time in 2018 before getting excited

All of a sudden we've got 10+ plus young batsmen who look like they will kick on to be worthy of test selection.
No we haven't - we got some candidates at best - the gap between state and international is getting bigger. For most of the season most attacks have lacked depth, particularly post big bash. Players burst into the scene - the Intel on them is low - 12 months on - the video & technical analysts (like myself) will have identified the areas to bowl to most of them. Back to back seasons are when you take note (Bancroft) one season wonders less so. I saw Bosisto bat well against the Vics who had a good attack from memory, that would rate higher than runs against the attack they've got now. Runs against good attacks must rate higher. They shouldn't but in the current climate they have to.

We are much better placed now compared to 4 years ago in regards to young batsmen. They aren't ready and they might not ever make it but there is a lot more young batsmen doing better in the shield this season.

A lot of posters pencilling in the QLD kids as test players, they only just made QLD's best XI.

Well excuse me! That happens to every young kid who makes a few runs in shield cricket. Why haven't you singled out Jake Lehmann who just made the shield side this summer?

Back