List Mgmt. Geelong nominates Sam Simpson as father-son

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with most comments on his ability to evade through traffic and use both feet... he will need time in the system given his size, seems very similar to Cunico at the same age, so we may be getting some good value if its a late pick.

As a half back Witherden or Sam Walker or Villis or Jack Graham (if you play him there rather than midfield) or Hampton (he is more a rookie) are options or Will Sexton if you want a mature age player as a small/med defender. For for a quicker wing type Galluci or Venables or Florent or someone like Cedric Cox as a later pick have potential.

I think he will be taken a lot earlier.

I'm thinking top 25 there something about him that I think a club will bite the bullet and reach for him, if he was there at 38 it's a very good get.

His attributes are very good but the consistency isn't there yet it would be a bit of a reach to take him top 25.

As a half back Witherden or Sam Walker or Villis or Jack Graham (if you play him there rather than midfield) or Hampton (he is more a rookie) are options or Will Sexton if you want a mature age player as a small/med defender. For for a quicker wing type Galluci or Venables or Florent or someone like Cedric Cox as a later pick have potential.

Still gets back to the smaller definition .. running HB or wing. Id not have called Graham that but lets let that slide. Witherden is up around 189/190 now , liked Walker sort of Enright size at 187.. but id not call him a running HB. Sexton..sure . If I was going to say smallish backline player from the U18's Reece PIPER sort of fits the bill , but for running HB Id like us to look at Tom Williamson or Cameron Zurhaar or perhaps Josh WILLIAMS..he is quite quick.

What pick do you see us taking Stewart at with Pure_Ownage ?

64 i doubt he will get much further. If we think simpson will get bid on in the third round (which would require 64 to match) then i wouldn't be staggered to see us take him at 42 but that feels a bit of a reach. 55-65 is about where i expect clubs to consider him same as menegola last year.

Still gets back to the smaller definition .. running HB or wing. Id not have called Graham that but lets let that slide. Witherden is up around 189/190 now , liked Walker sort of Enright size at 187.. but id not call him a running HB. Sexton..sure . If I was going to say smallish backline player from the U18's Reece PIPER sort of fits the bill , but for running HB Id like us to look at Tom Williamson or Cameron Zurhaar or perhaps Josh WILLIAMS..he is quite quick.

Did Zurhaar play down back this year? I didn't see many champs games but he was good up forward as a bottom ager last year.

Last edited:
Seems like quite a skilled player, needs to bulk up a bit but after a couple of pre seasons could be a decent layer.
If he takes after his old man he will be fine in that regard

Fwiw I just watched the clip on the Cats site, he seems to have good poise, decision making, and I love that he has a willingness to kick off either foot and that he has his socks pulled up.

I'm not sure about his kicking.... he seems to get the job done but if VC was posting still I reckon he would have some big issues with his kicking action... something just isn't right for me, the ball drop is off (his hands look too low on the ball), the ball doesn't spin properly i think but not sure exactly what it is.
Hopefully being in an AFL system that can be worked on, as everything else looks promising

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short kicking with no power in his leg. He's got a lot of work to do. He's on the younger side of course so we will see how he goes as a professional.

From the footage in my opinion he won't be forcing his way into the VFL side any time soon.

Short kicking with no power in his leg. He's got a lot of work to do. He's on the younger side of course so we will see how he goes as a professional.

From the footage in my opinion he won't be forcing his way into the VFL side any time soon.

I'd disagree , he would play VFL from day 1

Id agree but im sure that he can work on that.

Kicking depth?
Can definitely be improved, but even if Simpson never develops into a thumping kick, it's not the be-all and end-all - give me a bloke who can hit up a forward target with a 25m kick (as he does a few times in that vid) over someone who can roost it but can't put the ball to a teammate's advantage any day.
Simpson seems to have a degree of dual-sidedness to his game too.
Sometimes a player who lacks kicking depth learns to compensate by using the ball more effectively. Steve Johnson wasn't the biggest kick. Caleb Daniel, Sam Mitchell, there are smaller blokes like those two who generally use it well without being able to kick 50m.

Cats’ father-son Simpson battle looms

This could really put a dent in the club's draft strategy. If an opposition club bid on Simpson prior to 53 then we'll have to use earlier picks to secure him. Though, I'm sure the club has considered this and will only match a bid if it's reasonable.

Under no circumstance would we have to use a earlier pick to secure him. After our 3rd pick (currently 42, likely to be around 44-45 after the earlier bidding) there is a small window where a bid received would have to take a small deficit in the 3rd round next year however our pick 64 is likely to be brought forward (as high up as pick 58) by GWS matching a large number of bids, it depends how early these bids are. In the most likely case any bid for Simpson after our 3rd pick will be covered by our the points in our 4th pick with our 5th pick (currently 72 provided a little extra points of cover).

Under no circumstance would we have to use a earlier pick to secure him. After our 3rd pick (currently 42, likely to be around 44-45 after the earlier bidding) there is a small window where a bid received would have to take a small deficit in the 3rd round next year however our pick 64 is likely to be brought forward (as high up as pick 58) by GWS matching a large number of bids, it depends how early these bids are. In the most likely case any bid for Simpson after our 3rd pick will be covered by our the points in our 4th pick with our 5th pick (currently 72 provided a little extra points of cover).

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We have the following picks at present:

P24 (785pts)
P38 (465pts)
P42 (395pts)
P64 (101pts)
P72 (19pts)
P74 (0pts)

So, if a club bids on him between P42-P53 then we would definitely go into a deficit to match (even accounting for the20% discount).

If the bid is prior to P42 then we will have to use our P42 to match.

Cats’ father-son Simpson battle looms

This could really put a dent in the club's draft strategy. If an opposition club bid on Simpson prior to 53 then we'll have to use earlier picks to secure him. Though, I'm sure the club has considered this and will only match a bid if it's reasonable.
I suspect that the interest is for perhaps a late pick or a rookie selection. I couldn't see him a top 45 pick, but a pick in the 45-75 range is possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back