Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all, was just asking how many first rounders didn't manage to play a game and we worked out there were 3 of 23 and Doedee was one of them !

And?

Seems like a meaningless observation.

How'd they go the showdown before?
Except for Ebert pretty good actually and our best mid was Thommo who many expect not to play much this year. It wasn't their midfields fault they were s**t.

Port also didn't have a decent ruck this year.

Except for Ebert pretty good actually and our best mid was Thommo who many expect not to play much this year. It wasn't their midfields fault they were s**t.

Port also didn't have a decent ruck this year.

So they managed to get thrashed one time and lose the next, with a "superior" midfield.

I always thought the midfield was important. I guess Port are showing us it's not?

So they managed to get thrashed one time and lose the next, with a "superior" midfield.

I always thought the midfield was important. I guess Port are showing us it's not?
Now you're just being silly.

To be a serious contender you need all areas of your game to be of a high standard and a decent coach. That first showdown they didn't have a clue defensively and we ran the ball over the top of them continuously.

Port has many holes in their game but the midfield isn't one of them.

Do you think the midfield is important and we need a better midfield to be a legitimate contender? Or to put it another way, why do you think we didn't finish higher than 6th?

Did I read this right:
Tyson’s other sons, Luke, 14, and Brodie, 13, also play football.
Luke this year made the State under-15 side and represented Glenelg at under-18 level.
The 14 year old played under 18's?

Having 2 brothers in the side is so yesterday ... we need to go the next level.

who were you.gif [1.1mb]
what's previous alias.gif [1.1mb]

[forum.reallusion.com] rack [e].jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you're just being silly.

To be a serious contender you need all areas of your game to be of a high standard and a decent coach. That first showdown they didn't have a clue defensively and we ran the ball over the top of them continuously.

Port has many holes in their game but the midfield isn't one of them.

Do you think the midfield is important and we need a better midfield to be a legitimate contender? Or to put it another way, why do you think we didn't finish higher than 6th?

we need to improve the midfield but the reason we finish sixth was because of our choke against hawthorn.

So Marty thinks there were 23 1st rounders ????!!!!

No wonder he thought Sharenberg would be 1st round with that many classified as 1st round
Hate to break it to you, but marty is actually correct on this one. It's not often that marty's right about anything - this could be the first time in 9500+ posts - but he is right on this one.

By the time you factor in all of the Academy selections, where clubs bid on the players and GWS (mostly) swooped in and stole them... the first round did indeed run to 23 selections. 5 Academy selections will do that.

I don't think we can judge a midfield purely based on if they beat us or not.

Imo, some serious over rating of the West Coast and Port mids here atm.

Yes West Coast towelled us up in the last minor round game, but we had a mare. I would honestly look at our midfield with natural improvement from the Crouch Bros, Charlie and Milera as on par if not slightly ahead of West Coast.
Gray is a brilliant midfielder, Boak and Wines had off years. I'd say at this point Ports' midfield is more dynamic in having the contested bull (wines) and two inside/outside creative types in Boak/Gray. However only Wines has any improvement left. I believe with a full preseason Brad Crouch will excel as an Inside/outside mid role, with exceptionally good ball hunting ability.

We out played the GWS midfield for 3 1/4's, yet they have a far, far superior midfield unit.

Imo- GWS and Bulldogs are the top two teams, while Sydney are only a micro step behind, with Mills and Heeney both with massive scope for improvement.

Geelong a rung below that with Hawthorn (Although both are fragile due to Geelong being a two-man team and Hawthorn being turned on its' head)

Then Adelaide/Port/West Coast/Fremantle in roughly that order. Depends how the chips fall.

Finally Melbourne, who have huge scope for improvement in a few years. Collingwood also get a mention for having a star studded midfield, but they can't get their s**t together for whatever reason. Adams, Treloar, Pendelbury, Sidebottom, Wells should be a far more formidable unit than has been displayed.

I believe with natural improvement we can easily supersede port, Hawthorn* and west coast, while pushing Geelong but we are unlikely to jump them Imo.

*functioning patella tendons pending

I rate west coasts midfield on par with our midfield. Like us they also have a very good forward line and average backline. So when we play them, the team that gets a slight advantage in the midfield looks like they are dominating due to the forward line's advantage over the backline. They towelled us up late in the season but we kept them goalless in the second half early in the season in Perth and destroyed them at AO late in 2015.

Hate to break it to you, but marty is actually correct on this one. It's not often that marty's right about anything - this could be the first time in 9500+ posts - but he is right on this one.

By the time you factor in all of the Academy selections, where clubs bid on the players and GWS (mostly) swooped in and stole them... the first round did indeed run to 23 selections. 5 Academy selections will do that.
With the matched bids being pushed up the order I will respectfully disagree

But splitting hairs so I won't carry on and understand your point

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fre...k=06769bd8ffd57df48e3bb2d23b3f76e5-1481185930

HOW FAR WILL YOUR CLUB TRAVEL THIS PRE-SEASON?

West Coast Eagles (8256km)

Brisbane Lions (7516km)

Collingwood (7238km)

Melbourne (7017km)

Carlton (6936km)

Essendon (4918km)

North Melbourne (4112km)

Western Bulldogs (3432km)

Geelong Cats (2974km)

Hawthorn (2574km)

Sydney Swans (2529km)

Port Adelaide (2322km)

Gold Coast Suns (2086km)

GWS Giants (1750km)

Adelaide Crows (1518km)

Richmond (1118km)

Fremantle (984km)

St Kilda (652km)

Is Freo's kms correct ?

Is Freo's kms correct ?
Looks about right. Their games are in Geraldton (vs West Coast), Mandurah (vs Collingwood), and Subiaco (vs Carlton).

Geraldton is roughly 400km north of Perth.
Mandurah is roughly 80km south of Perth.
Subiaco is their home ground, so 0km.

I don't think we can judge a midfield purely based on if they beat us or not.

Imo, some serious over rating of the West Coast and Port mids here atm.

Yes West Coast towelled us up in the last minor round game, but we had a mare. I would honestly look at our midfield with natural improvement from the Crouch Bros, Charlie and Milera as on par if not slightly ahead of West Coast.
Gray is a brilliant midfielder, Boak and Wines had off years. I'd say at this point Ports' midfield is more dynamic in having the contested bull (wines) and two inside/outside creative types in Boak/Gray. However only Wines has any improvement left. I believe with a full preseason Brad Crouch will excel as an Inside/outside mid role, with exceptionally good ball hunting ability.

We out played the GWS midfield for 3 1/4's, yet they have a far, far superior midfield unit.

Imo- GWS and Bulldogs are the top two teams, while Sydney are only a micro step behind, with Mills and Heeney both with massive scope for improvement.

Geelong a rung below that with Hawthorn (Although both are fragile due to Geelong being a two-man team and Hawthorn being turned on its' head)

Then Adelaide/Port/West Coast/Fremantle in roughly that order. Depends how the chips fall.

Finally Melbourne, who have huge scope for improvement in a few years. Collingwood also get a mention for having a star studded midfield, but they can't get their s**t together for whatever reason. Adams, Treloar, Pendelbury, Sidebottom, Wells should be a far more formidable unit than has been displayed.

I believe with natural improvement we can easily supersede port, Hawthorn* and west coast, while pushing Geelong but we are unlikely to jump them Imo.

*functioning patella tendons pending
Just one simple question regarding the bolded bit. Do you expect Melbourne to acquire some ready-made midfielders like Gibb, Heeney, Rockliff etc.. to improve their present midfield, or do you believe it will be "Organic" growth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back