Multiplat Battlefield 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing about good team work is you really feel it when on the receiving end of some and the opposition is playing as a cohesive unit. Probably a bigger educational experience than being on the dominant team.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
Horrible game of Suez a few hours ago, lost by about 600 points. Got trapped in our gimme flag, me and my squad of randoms were the only people on the whole team who bothered to flank on the outskirts of the map and try and take their gimme or D to get out.

Even when we were successful no one on our side would spawn there and 20 seconds later half the enemy team would be there to kill us and capture it again and we're back where we started. Feels bad man.

Horrible game of Suez a few hours ago, lost by about 600 points. Got trapped in our gimme flag, me and my squad of randoms were the only people on the whole team who bothered to flank on the outskirts of the map and try and take their gimme or D to get out.

Even when we were successful no one on our side would spawn there and 20 seconds later half the enemy team would be there to kill us and capture it again and we're back where we started. Feels bad man.
Let me guess you had a team full of snipers.

Quickmatch man. I'm PC it's all I play...
Origin: FullMetalJimbo

Never mind, played my very first Operations. Three of them, in fact. Great game mode and PTFO mostly. I guess I should time myself for Saturday and Sunday nights eastern standard time. Tried again just then, barely any people like all the other times.

Still a great game even in Conquest. Can never get into Rush or the other modes though. Too small and too quick, I am probably the slow and ponderous type.

Yeah Suez tends to produce one-sided games. There are the occasional close ones where B/C/D becomes full of craters and bombed out buildings indicating a tight match, but the most lopsided games I've ever seen have been mostly Suez on conquest. Upon being pushed back to A or E, the enemy often spawns as Scouts and nothing happens. It is possible to flank and reverse it, but with the dunes and train tracks on either side being wide open with very little cover, any semi-decent enemy cuts off the flanking maneuvres - unless more than half the whole team flanks, which of course doesn't happen.

Getting my SPM nice and high.
c5d8347a368db483cd84a6dac88e41d5.jpg
Oh yeah check at my spm...
IMG_0053.png

Seriously though I don't know why it's so low when my recent games (in this case, last 32 games) always shows a similar spm to yours.

IMG_0052.png

1000-90 on whatever that new map is called a couple of weeks back. Was very late at night and my team had 2 extra players but that is beyond a mauling. Can't actually believe i was on the good side of it! lol
Hahaha wow, the other team must've forgotten to capture flags..

Ok let me preface my upcoming rant with the fact I played BF4 for 1,300 hours and BF3 for 750 hours. Both games had their flaws, especially with BF4 at release and the following 6-12 months. But by the final 6-12 months, I really enjoyed BF4 as they had resolved many of the issues and it was a pretty clean, balanced shooter.

After 100 hours of BF1 I am just not feeling it and the playing the game often makes me angry. Those who play with me know I have a pretty short fuse and love to whinge but the following myriad of issues are killing my passion for this release.

Playing Base
BF1 has far too many morons, lone wolfs and stat-padding campers and the game actually rewards these people. Tank drivers that when you spawn on taking a flag decide to drive out of burn, even though we have 100% burn and the coast is pretty much clear. You get out to complete the cap but they drive into the distance and leave you with a 300m run. Players in armour not pushing the fringes of contested flags, instead going for long distance shots rendering all other passengers useless. There was a game where we were getting stomped on Fao and we were given the Dreadnought, the main driver barely drove out of spawn, instead electing to go on his bombing crusade from afar finishing with a 21-2 game which I sure he saved and sent to his school mates.

Then there are the campaigners that camp between the flags. This his some merit at stages but some players do it for the whole game and you see it on the final scoreboard, they've gone 30-15 but are 22nd on their team.

The scrubs that play the game with one weapon - no skill. I know everyone is entitled to play the game the way they want to but I killed by a dude that had 7,600 Martini-Henry kills today. Mix it up mate! Then there are the Level 1 nubs that are already busting out the scout kit and getting their camping form refined. The fact that a lot of the maps are so open plays into their pre-pubescent hands.

I think we have discussed in detail in already the players failing to play their class as it should.

I had one dickhead today standing in front of me while I was trying to use the field gun. He could see it was on 33% health and was trying to get me to blow myself up. Let's not get started in the random teabags received for absolutely no reason - "oh you bayonetted me, well done". Just so indicative of the playing base.

Technical Issues
Still getting killed around corners and sometimes get instances of no hit registration when not suppressed. Still too many Diasuke's and zhong3176's infesting Oceanic servers. Also love spawning in front of the enemy or getting revived with a non-firing main gun - sweet DICE. Also loving the long load times and the fact that my loadout gets reset occasionally. While it can be handy to spot your team mates and give them health or ammo, it can be a little annoying when they are between you and an attempt to spot an enemy and you lose the gun battle because of it.

I can't fault the look and feel of the game, just love the history and some of the atmospheric changes but after a while this fades and the gameplay has to stand up.

Variety
The lack of battlefield moments that gave you the most satisfaction in the previous titles like going on a long chopper kill spree, RPGing a jet or heli or continually killing jihad jeeps/engineers that have rage for you. I just don't get any real enjoyment from any of the gameplay. I've had some nice long distance snipe kills which have been satisfying and a couple of killing sprees in the fortress guns which have sent kill parties after me but these have been few and far between. I have played Assault, Medic and Support pretty evenly to this point (level 81) and have 100 kills with most of the main guns and am feeling there isn't much more to do after I have ticked this off. The lack of variety in the vehicle game is probably the main issue. They all feel the same in some respects (I don't play in planes).

I find the cavalry class clunky and boring.

There are a couple more I can't remember at the moment but will return to post if I do.

TL;DR - I like to complain.

Last edited:
You're not wrong!

To be honest, everything you mention there is no different to BF3 or BF4. You still had people only using one gun or class (and yeh, I agree, mix it up a little), you still had tanks taking the distance shots, you still had tanks driving off without you, you still had stupid campaigners who don't PTFO.

I've played 100 hours so far and don't even remotely feel like it's getting stale, and that's before any DLC has come out. I played about 180 hours of BF4 and the majority of that was on Metro. The map design is the best since Bad Company 2. BF4 maps were so uninspiring, it says a lot when its best map is a BF3 remake!

The thing that bugged me the most in BF4 is all the bullshit ways you could die. Suav/Ucav, those shitty little robot things that engineers spam, 100 different rocket launchers etc. I'm glad they cut back on all that crap. I don't really get your point about variety either, there's just as many vehicles in this as previous titles. Only difference is no choppers, which again is a good thing as you don't have those Little Bird whores racking up 100+ - 2 KD scores because no-one can take them out. And Cavalry is awesome, it feels so ******* satisfying when you slay half their team with your sword!

As for technical issues, it's only 3 months old! Compared to early days of BF4, it's solid as a rock!

I think there's a lot of "New to Battlefield" players as others have mentioned which affects the gameplay a little, but you can't fault the game for that. It does still need a few tweaks here and there but it's still early days.

BF1 >>>>>> BF4 and BF3!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, everything you mention there is no different to BF3 or BF4. You still had people only using one gun or class (and yeh, I agree, mix it up a little), you still had tanks taking the distance shots, you still had tanks driving off without you, you still had stupid campaigners who don't PTFO.

There seems a greater prevalence of tea-baggers, non-PTFOers and general morons in this release than the previous two. As some have mentioned, maybe the poor options in other games has lead to this.

I've played 100 hours so far and don't even remotely feel like it's getting stale, and that's before any DLC has come out. I played about 180 hours of BF4 and the majority of that was on Metro. The map design is the best since Bad Company 2. BF4 maps were so uninspiring, it says a lot when its best map is a BF3 remake!

Personally, over my 1300 hours of BF4, I had many awesome games on Zavod, Golmud, Propaganda, Rogue Transmission and even Locker. There were some secondary maps (Hainan, Lancang, Pearl Market, Dragon Pass) that had their detractors but I always found them enjoyable to play.

In regards to BF1, the only maps I motivated to play are St. Quentin Scar, Amiens, Empires Edge and Argonne. Ballroom Blitz has it's moments, as does Suez when it's evenly matched. I hold out hope though there will be some quality on the horizon. Absolutely hate Sinai as I did with Flood Zone in BF4.

The thing that bugged me the most in BF4 is all the bullshit ways you could die. Suav/Ucav, those shitty little robot things that engineers spam, 100 different rocket launchers etc. I'm glad they cut back on all that crap. I don't really get your point about variety either, there's just as many vehicles in this as previous titles. Only difference is no choppers, which again is a good thing as you don't have those Little Bird whores racking up 100+ - 2 KD scores because no-one can take them out. And Cavalry is awesome, it feels so ******* satisfying when you slay half their team with your sword!

Some of the most satisfying kills were the occasional SUAV or EOD bot kill. Playing on console we were protected somewhat from the UCAV (XFactor) spam and five-bangs and I can see why that would have annoyed the PC BF community. I loved the fact there were so many weapons/attachments and I am a player that had to get 500 kills with all of them. I just think skilled players were rewarded when they were able to master so many different types of RPG launchers for instance. The RPG had a drop, the SMAW was a straight line, while the SRAW required genuine skill to master. Taking down your first chopper, long distance with a SRAW had an immense level of satisfaction and achievement due to the practice required and skill to execute. Everything in BF1 seems pick up and play and feels dumbed down for the casual/new player.

The vehicles - Heavy Tank, Landship, Light Tank all have a very similar feel in terms of the attack options. The fact you don't have any protection measures is authentic to the period but once again removes a skill component for capable vehicle users. Knowing when to use protection measures, timing them and knowing their cool down took practice. While the self-repair in BF1 is good, I think it prevents you from playing aggressively around the objective.

Cavalry on PC may feel smoother than console, I've watched JackFrags and the like and they make it look so easy. Something I probably need to invest time in but feels limited, hip fire/slash......

As for technical issues, it's only 3 months old! Compared to early days of BF4, it's solid as a rock!

No doubt technically better but you'd expect them to be better at releasing, I want either status quo from last days of BF4 or better.

BF1 >>>>>> BF4 and BF3!

Can't agree there hahaha but I appreciate you taking the time to facilitate discussion on the game. Trust me I don't think there is anyone on this board who has invested as much time on the last three BF titles than me. I love the franchise and want this game to be great but I am also aware enough of its flaws even in this shiny, pretty package.

Last edited:
There seems a greater prevalence of tea-baggers, non-PTFOers and general morons in this release than the previous two. As some have mentioned, maybe the poor options in other games has lead to this.
Haven't really come across too many tea-baggers. Maybe Aussies are just bigger assholes than Europeans! ;) In BF4, I saw quite a few who'd kill me from afar and then dip up and down on the spot, so they're essentially bagging the ground next to them. You just sit there and think "That's not how it works, you *******!".

Personally, over my 1300 hours of BF4, I had many awesome games on Zavod, Golmud, Propaganda, Rogue Transmission and even Locker. There were some secondary maps (Hainan, Lancang, Pearl Market, Dragon Pass) that had their detractors but I always found them enjoyable to play.

In regards to BF1, the only maps I motivated to play are St. Quentin Scar, Amiens, Empires Edge and Argonne. Ballroom Blitz has it's moments, as does Suez when it's evenly matched. I hold out hope though there will be some quality on the horizon. Absolutely hate Sinai as I did with Flood Zone in BF4.
Didn't mind Zavod, Rogue and Locker. Even Dawn Breaker had its moments. Hated Golmud. Most of the DLC maps were pretty Meh. Dragon Valley was cool, but again, it was a BF2 remake. I think all of St. Quentin's Scar, Amiens, Empires Edge, Argonne and Ballroom Blitz are better than anything BF4 had to offer.

I think they were on the right track with that community map and Argonne kinda feels like an improvement on that.

Some of the most satisfying kills were the occasional SUAV or EOD bot kill. Playing on console we were protected somewhat from the UCAV (XFactor) spam and five-bangs and I can see why that would have annoyed the PC BF community. I loved the fact there were so many weapons/attachments and I am a player that had to get 500 kills with all of them. I just think skilled players were rewarded when they were able to master so many different types of RPG launchers for instance. The RPG had a drop, the SMAW was a straight line, while the SRAW required genuine skill to master. Taking down your first chopper, long distance with a SRAW had an immense level of satisfaction and achievement due to the practice required and skill to execute. Everything in BF1 seems pick up and play and feels dumbed down for the casual/new player.

The vehicles - Heavy Tank, Landship, Light Tank all have a very similar feel in terms of the attack options. The fact you don't have any protection measures is authentic to the period but once again removes a skill component for capable vehicle users. Knowing when to use protection measures, timing them and knowing their cool down took practice. While the self-repair in BF1 is good, I think it prevents you from playing aggressively around the objective.

Cavalry on PC may feel smoother than console, I've watched JackFrags and the like and they make it look so easy. Something I probably need to invest time in but feels limited, hip fire/slash......
I think a lot of this is still applicable to BF1, it still takes a bit to get the hang of everything. 100 hours in and I still suck with Tanks and Planes. Also, try sniping campaigners out of a Behemoth! The Tanks still do have protective measures, I haven't played around with them all but you can change them same way as any other kit. The Heavy Tank, for example, has a smoke screen you can use to escape.

I play on PS4, so the Cavalry can feel a little clunky but I think it's more to do with my own *edness with the controller than the actual physics.

I want either status quo from last days of BF4 or better.
As a software developer, I can tell you that that's completely unreasonable for a new product!! ;)

Can't agree there hahaha but I appreciate you taking the time to facilitate discussion on the game. Trust me I don't think there is anyone on this board who has invested as much time on the last three BF titles than me. I love the franchise and want this game to be great but I am also aware enough of its flaws even in this shiny, pretty package.
Each to their own. I did still really enjoy BF4 for what it's worth, I just think BF1 is more well rounded, not perfect but a very solid base to improve on.

neddy36 you w***er, you teabagged me the other day before sweet justice was swiftly rained down upon you :p

I'm one of those players in any online shooter game that tends to stick with a set up that I'm good at. 90% or more of my kills are with the one weapon.

In previous BF games though I would have often used different kits depending on the map, however I don't get any joy in this one running with the c4 equivalent to blow up tanks, which I loved to do in the modern games.

Playing Base
BF1 has far too many morons, lone wolfs and stat-padding campers and the game actually rewards these people. You get out to complete the cap but they drive into the distance and leave you with a 300m run.
happens in all previous BF's.

The scrubs that play the game with one weapon - no skill. I know everyone is entitled to play the game the way they want to but I killed by a dude that had 7,600 Martini-Henry kills today. Mix it up mate!
whats your point here? When i have levelled up assault, medic and support to 10, ill probably play a lot more on scout to get that to level 10 as well. I get the feeling you went on your rant after getting owned by someone over and over again on the same map and you couldnt adjust your gameplay. It actually takes some skill to counter that.

Then there are the Level 1 nubs that are already busting out the scout kit and getting their camping form refined.
what do you expect noobs to play like - level 80 veterans? Just deal with it that noobs are constantly entering the game and its actually a good thing for the longevity of multiplayer

I had one dickhead today standing in front of me while I was trying to use the field gun. He could see it was on 33% health and was trying to get me to blow myself up. Let's not get started in the random teabags received for absolutely no reason - "oh you bayonetted me, well done". Just so indicative of the playing base.
it happens on very rare occasions. Im level 51 and have experienced this maybe twice..

/Technical Issues
as you said, the game will iron out these issues over time. For the most part i find the game to be quite a bug free experience.

The lack of battlefield moments that gave you the most satisfaction in the previous titles like going on a long chopper kill spree, RPGing a jet or heli or continually killing jihad jeeps/engineers that have rage for you. I just don't get any real enjoyment from any of the gameplay. I've had some nice long distance snipe kills which have been satisfying and a couple of killing sprees in the fortress guns which have sent kill parties after me but these have been few and far between. I have played Assault, Medic and Support pretty evenly to this point (level 81) and have 100 kills with most of the main guns and am feeling there isn't much more to do after I have ticked this off. The lack of variety in the vehicle game is probably the main issue. They all feel the same in some respects (I don't play in planes).

I find the cavalry class clunky and boring.
as someone else said, the game is fairly new and expansions will come out. I played BF 1942 and once desert combat came out i played that 95% of the time.

you had a s**t night playing a great game. Everyone does. Rub one out, get some fresh air and remember that you just have a 1st world problem :)

whats your point here? When i have levelled up assault, medic and support to 10, ill probably play a lot more on scout to get that to level 10 as well. I get the feeling you went on your rant after getting owned by someone over and over again on the same map and you couldnt adjust your gameplay. It actually takes some skill to counter that.

you had a s**t night playing a great game. Everyone does. Rub one out, get some fresh air and remember that you just have a 1st world problem :)

My point, well if you read my post I said that players are entitled to play the way they want to. I suppose it is more of an observation that there are some people out there that are willing to test their skill with various types of weapons and others that find that one gun and roll try-hard mode 24/7 for the life of the game.

If you had been playing with me over mic like some guys on this board have in the past few weeks, they can attest that I have been saying what I did in my initial post, hardly after a night of getting owned. Even the rare times I have been "owned", I call them a salty name but nearly always get my revenge. I'm never the sender of hate mail, always the receiver. ;)

Mate, I'm the last person to cry at 1st world problems, that's something you Millennials have mastered. Just providing my 2c to a forum... :D

Am I the only one who jumps on the mic to chat to randoms in my squad to get a bit of teamwork happening? If no one answers I change to the next squad or even change teams until I find one or two players to work with for a couple of hours. I feel like a lot of players have their mics ready to use but are almost scared or too nervous to chat unless someone else initiates the conversation. I have a lot of fun meeting new people this way and more often than not score more points than I would running lone wolf. Most players are more than happy to work with you if you're talking to them and hence working as a team with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back