Preview Pick your team for R1, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Think I must be on my own but really think that Gov can be something extra special in the F50

Not just good but great ( as in match winner in big finals ) and in my eyes you don't mess around with that

Lynch and Tex are not aerialists ( even though Tex is good in 1 on 1s) and Jenkins certainly isn't an aerialist

Gov is the guy that can create spillage from packs and he will start grabbing some mark of the year contenders as well

I'm expecting with experience he will be a very good set shot for goal eventually as well. He's got too much skill not to be , its all nerves and inexperience

2 B Crouch 3 R Knight 4 Jenkins 5 Thommo 6 Lever 7 Gallucci 8 Kelly 9 Sloane 10 Wigg 11 Seedsman 12 Talia 13 Tex 14 MacKay 15 Hartigan 16 Brown 17 Hampton 18 Betts 21 Atkins 22 Otten 23 Cameron 24 Jacobs 25 Cheney 26 Douglas 27 Lynch 28 CEY 29 Laird 30 Milera 31 Poholke 32 Menzel 33 Smith 34 Himmelberg 35 Signorello 36 Gore 38 Dear 39 Doedee 40 Davis 41 McGovern 43 ROB 44 M Crouch
That's really interesting in that if you look at the players you didn't highlight.. what depth!
I count 13 blokes that should push for those last 3 spots!

We have a bloody good and young list. All we lack is genuine star power IMO. Let's hope we find some and then we're good.

Guys that should be pushing into the team in 2017
7 Gallucci
8 Kelly
10 Wigg
11 Seedsman
17 Hampton
26 Douglas
30 Milera
31 Poholke
32 Menzel
36 Gore
38 Dear
39 Doedee
43 ROB

Cooked
5 Thommo
14 MacKay
22 Otten

Not ready
34 Himmelberg
35 Signorello
40 Davis

Think I must be on my own but really think that Gov can be something extra special in the F50

Not just good but great ( as in match winner in big finals ) and in my eyes you don't mess around with that

Lynch and Tex are not aerialists ( even though Tex is good in 1 on 1s) and Jenkins certainly isn't an aerialist

Gov is the guy that can create spillage from packs and he will start grabbing some mark of the year contenders as well

I'm expecting with experience he will be a very good set shot for goal eventually as well. He's got too much skill not to be , its all nerves and inexperience
Look i don't disagree with what you're saying at all .......however i could see a situation whereby Dear comes in and plays that FF role, releasing Tex to play Gov's role & McGovern into the midfield

We wouldn't lose that contested marking because of the introduction of Dear, but we'd add marking power to the midfield :hearts::hearts:

Agree. Play MM deep forward more often and get Jenkins on his bike up the field.

Too small ? He plays taller than Tex , Jenkins and Lynch and has mobility / agility to pressure

He creates more crumbs for Eddie and the others than any of our tall forwards

He makes ground sometimes from 25m deep to launch in the air and he will start grabbing more of those also

You're talking about someone who is about 3-5cms shorter then Tex (seeing natural variation) and closer to 10cm against Jenkins. Doesn't matter if he plays taller or not, put him up against some of the best tall defenders in the league and despite his skill as an aerialist, i don't believe he'll survive, let alone thrive; seeing it's negating his main weapon, and if he is going to be a permanent forward he has to take one of these two spots.

His future as a forward is in that 3rd/4th tall position, and for that position to truly work he needs to add something else to his bow. His skillset works well for a pinch hitting winger/midfield rotation which gives him a backup option if he's is being well held, and allows another dimension to our side that it'll offer. One that our side sorely needs.

In a weird twist of irony, i can't see him being that special forward you reckon he'll become without adding this element to his game due to the flexibility it'll allow.

Agree. Play MM deep forward more often and get Jenkins on his bike up the field.

Play both as our deepest forwards.

Gov is oh so crafty, and lethal too when the ball hits the deck. He's so strong in the air, but just as good at ground level.

Jenkins is arguably better playing as a small forward than he is as a tall sometimes.

Tex is the one you want up the field. Will draw the best defender with him, is great on the lead and his field kicking is seriously good, something that a lot of people underrate around here. Will set up so many plays or be kicking them from 60.

Hi, started following this board during trade period and thought I should join up.
For my first post I thought I might put up a r1 team and some thoughts.

Brown Hartigan lever
Smith Talia laird
CC Sloane Seedsman
knight Walker lynch
Betts Jenkins Gov

Sauce MCrouch Bcrouch

Milera Menzal Cheney Hampton

Next up:
Doedeee
Douglas
Atkins

Comments:
Doedee to replace Cheney (maybe Brown) sometime during season for a few games - look 2018 for break out. He will need to build experience and consistency before forcing someone like Cheney out.

Atkins: couldn't quite fit him in - I think he will be a very good player but I rate Knight (and others) more. Also feel for next year Seedsman will offer more on the wing and half back (his kick is very useful in taking apart opposition zones)

Douglas: I didn't put him in as I wanted to highlight a few favourites of mine. I believe if he can find his best form that it could go along way to fixing our midfield issues. IMO he will still play 22 games next season.

Hampton: if he can be tough at the ball and not suffer his gws brain fades his size and speed through the midfield could be invaluable. Also can go across half back and be a back up lock down defender.

Menzal: he can really bring something to our forward line, putting aside fitness I thought we should have bitten the bullet and played him sometime last year. IMO the sort of player who will rise to the level around him and the SANFL will never be the place to showcase his talent.

I see what you are saying if that is the 22 which is a fair 22, I would say Wigg, Kelly , Doedee will be first to replace a HBF flank type, Ottens to replace a KPD, Dear to replace a KPF, Dougalss,Kackay, Atkins, Thommo and CEY to replace a Mid depeneding what type whom some of which may even go into defence or forward , ROB to replace a ruck. In case of injuries throughout the year. That is 32 players metioned we may even use another one or two

I see Gov as a guy whose confidence is suspect. He may even have imposter syndrome in that I dont even think he beleives he is as good as we believe (at least speaking for myself).

Point being on any given day he needs to get his hands on it early and often. The more he gets his hands on it the better he goes and on a good day he looks elite. But if he has a good game this week it doesnt feel like he takes that confidence into the next week.

Keeping him deep may starve him of early ball and in-game confidence that he needs. Let him roam and get those lead up marks where he links beautifully to attack and then send him deep to do the damage he can do at FF. He will be a difficult match up if we release his shackles. A much easier beast to tame if you put him in a box and say stay in the goal square your a FF.

Off subject; something that is pissing me off big time is a BWS Bundaberg add that keeps interfering with my reading/posting. It's on the bottom of my screen of my android phone and I swear I haven't touched it but sometimes it will arc up and when I go to switch it off sometimes I have to open up the whole thread again?! Is anybody having the same problem or just me?

He'll take mark of the year one time, hopefully this year.

Haven't had a go at this so we'll see where it ends up. My preferred line up.

Changes from the SF team

Out: Lyons (to GC), Thompson, Douglas, Cheney, Mackay
In: Wigg, Knight, Doedee, Seedsman, Milera

FB: Brown, Talia, Laird
HB: Lever, Hartigan, Smith
C: Atkins, Sloane, Cameron
HF: McGovern, Walker, Lynch
FF: Milera, Jenkins, Betts
R: Jacobs, Crouch, Crouch
IC: Wigg, Doedee, Seedsman, Knight

Time to see Doedee's potential in the backline, had a good year in the SANFL and good chance for him to keep his spot if he performs early. Wigg was smashing the door down, I want that left boot in the team. Not enough quality ball users in the Crows squad. Seed provides extra run from defence, Knight can play multiple positions gives the side a bit of spirit. Cameron to the midfield for extra line breaking and Milera is more than capable of filling that spot in the forward pocket.

Never played KPD and never will .....he's trimmed down and will play the Cheney role .....that you can take to the bank!!
Otten played Chb in a final v west coast when he played well on Darling.

Has played mainly as a 3rd tall, but has also played a kpp too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played as a 2nd ruck against west Coast in the final game of one year from memory. Might have been Bling's last game.
Yes, we were using him as a kpp/forward.

Often prior to his injury could play any position.

Would be great if he has his mobility back, as good option to have as has a great footy brain.

Yes, we were using him as a kpp/forward.

Often prior to his injury could play any position.

Would be great if he has his mobility back, as good option to have as has a great footy brain.

When he took that one handed mark on Harry Taylor at the top of the goal square haha!

Actually fell off my chair backwards when that happened

God no. JJ has no idea what he is doing up the field. I've watched quite a lot of replays in the off season. JJ is great running back to goal on a quick burst, but if he gets possessions on the wing / half forward line he takes waaaay too much time to decide how to dispose of it. Gives the opposition too much time to set up.

End of year preferred lineup:

FB: Brown ~ Hartigan ~ Lever
HB: Laird ~ Talia ~ Doedee
C: Smith ~ M.Crouch ~ Atkins
R: Jacobs ~ B.Crouch ~ Sloane
HF: Lynch ~ Walker ~ Cameron
FF: Betts ~ Jenkins ~ McGovern
B: Hampton ~ Knight ~ Seedsman
Menzel

Em: Cheney, Thompson, Douglas

Depth: Otten, Obrien, Mackay, Galluci, Wigg, CEY, Milera, Poholke, Dear

Milera for Seed in 2018.
Gun A grade mid in for whoever doesn't perform in 2017 out of Hampton, Atkins, Knight, Menzel and Cameron

Very much agree with your sentiment. We desperately need serious contested marking power in our F50, and Gov not just provides this as part of his skill set, but a very rare combination of skills which can make him a very dangerous forward down the track - a combination of skills that I think don't apply as well to becoming a mid.

If Himmelberg becomes a good KPF as well, we could have some serious marking power in our forward 50 in the coming years with Elliott and Mitch.

My point related to the AFL .....not the reserves ;)
But I mention him as a Backup KPD a position he has trained at and played in the 2nds. so seems at 194cm he the backup KPD
He, not a Cheney replacement not when they have Doedee, Hampton, Seedsman, And a few other training in defensive roles for the 4th defender slot who can fill as 3rd tall when the KPD are resting.
Otten in that role makes our defence too tall.

But I mention him as a Backup KPD a position he has trained at and played in the 2nds. so seems at 194cm he the backup KPD
He, not a Cheney replacement not when they have Doedee, Hampton, Seedsman, And a few other training in defensive roles for the 4th defender slot who can fill as 3rd tall when the KPD are resting.
Otten in that role makes our defence too tall.
I'll stick to my POV ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back