Recommitted Brodie Grundy [re-signed until 2020]

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Lost amidst the Fyfe & Martin stories is one of the young elites still out of contract.

Brodie Grundy shapes as one of the hottest properties this year.
From reports, Collingwood have made him their #1 priority (as they should), and hope to sign an extension by Rd1.

Watch as this gets announced today, but i thought i'd raise the thread anyway.

Would take a massive contract to get him to leave the Pies, and Collingwood would want some very good compensation.
With elite rucks at a premium, what's his worth?

Contract would be in the vicinity of 8-900k a year you would think.
Not outside the realm of possibility that someone would pony up the contract and the picks it would take to get all parties over the line.
Lol ease up, Grundy is good, and will get better, but $800-900k is premier KPP type money, and Grundy is not there yet. Maybe in 2 or 3 years for his next contract he'll be looking at those numbers.

Lol ease up, Grundy is good, and will get better, but $800-900k is premier KPP type money, and Grundy is not there yet. Maybe in 2 or 3 years for his next contract he'll be looking at those numbers.
not saying it isnt overs, but to get him out of collingwood would take a contract that tempting.

Not sure if he would get much interest from SA clubs. Port only recently got Ryder and Jacobs is no slouch.

Plenty of Victorian clubs would be licking their lips however.
Jacobs looked a bit iffy last year and despite only being 28, I wouldn't be surprised if the Crows made a call or two. They are the only team I imagine could be in the hunt as there is nothing in Grundy leaving to go to another Vic club or elsewhere. We should be able to match rival contract offers, and thus I can't see him leave. His personality just matches the Melbourne scene.

Jacobs looked a bit iffy last year and despite only being 28, I wouldn't be surprised if the Crows made a call or two. They are the only team I imagine could be in the hunt as there is nothing in Grundy leaving to go to another Vic club or elsewhere. We should be able to match rival contract offers, and thus I can't see him leave. His personality just matches the Melbourne scene.
they have Reilly O'Brien coming through. By the time Jacobs is done, he should be where they want him. He looks a very good mobile ruckman.
And Jenkins will continue to be their #2 while playing forward. And if he has to ruck, Dear isn't a bad forward option for them either.

Port is the other one.
Ryder & Grundy - 2x mobile ruckman, both elite, both capable around the ground and playing forward.
Salary cap squeeze could make it hard for them though....unless the Pies want Hartlett?

they have Reilly O'Brien coming through. By the time Jacobs is done, he should be where they want him. He looks a very good mobile ruckman.
And Jenkins will continue to be their #2 while playing forward. And if he has to ruck, Dear isn't a bad forward option for them either.

Port is the other one.
Ryder & Grundy - 2x mobile ruckman, both elite, both capable around the ground and playing forward.
Salary cap squeeze could make it hard for them though....unless the Pies want Hartlett?
Port is not an ideal club to deal with. Apart from a future first rounder, I don't think there's much we could do to make sure we come out content with a deal. Hartlett doesn't really help us; Broadbent I like but what value does he hold as opposed to Grundy? Hombsch is a gun but he's an SA boy and won't be going anywhere. Will happily take a Wines but seeing he re-signed last year, he ain't going anywhere.

Crows fair enough - O'Brien looks decent and they'd probably be more keen on recruiting a midfielder more than a ruck if they were to spend big. Jacobs will do the job in their current premiership window.

Port is not an ideal club to deal with. Apart from a future first rounder, I don't think there's much we could do to make sure we come out content with a deal. Hartlett doesn't really help us; Broadbent I like but what value does he hold as opposed to Grundy? Hombsch is a gun but he's an SA boy and won't be going anywhere. Will happily take a Wines but seeing he re-signed last year, he ain't going anywhere.

Crows fair enough - O'Brien looks decent and they'd probably be more keen on recruiting a midfielder more than a ruck if they were to spend big. Jacobs will do the job in their current premiership window.
Especially when you're letting your best ruckman go.... :(
Their 1st could be a strong pick this year. Top 10 and possibly top 5.
Grab that and a 2nd, in a draft with some good KPP talent.

Big question is - who is your ruck after Grundy is gone.
Cox is not ideal as a permanent #1 replacement.

We'd have to find another ruck, although Cox is rapidly improving as a tap ruckman. It's not something that's particularly concerning though. The club would have sought some pretty solid assurances from Grundy about his commitment to the club before letting Witts walk to GC.

Nearly a million bucks a season for him? Aren't there like 20 blokes in the whole comp on that money? Jesus christ. His first year was precocious and I liked the confidence he had, didn't seem worried to go up against anyone and won a lot of taps and got in some really good positioning even though he's fairly slim and doesn't have a ludicrous advantage height-wise ala Sandi. His past seasons have been pretty stagnant though haven't they? He hasn't seemed to really stand up as much as he should have but still a decent ruckman as is and has some potential.

Wouldn't shock me if he ended up becoming the best in the comp nor would it shock me if he ended up a total bust and played off his first season or two forever. Hope he does well, seems a different sort of cat.

Port has already traded their 2017 first round pick I believe

They don't have a 2017 first rounder unfortunately - that's at Brisbane. Max Lynch was drafted last year as a rookie but of course he'll need time if he's even going to make it all. We'd likely have to pluck a ruck off another club who would make sure to tax us extra because we'd b desperate. Then we'd look like idiots for trading Witts by trading a good pick for Tom Nicholls or Callum Sinclair.

So yes, Grundy leaving is not an ideal situation for the club in any way. Port can stay well away especially;)

Nearly a million bucks a season for him? Aren't there like 20 blokes in the whole comp on that money? Jesus christ. His first year was precocious and I liked the confidence he had, didn't seem worried to go up against anyone and won a lot of taps and got in some really good positioning even though he's fairly slim and doesn't have a ludicrous advantage height-wise ala Sandi. His past seasons have been pretty stagnant though haven't they? He hasn't seemed to really stand up as much as he should have but still a decent ruckman as is and has some potential.

Wouldn't shock me if he ended up becoming the best in the comp nor would it shock me if he ended up a total bust and played off his first season or two forever. Hope he does well, seems a different sort of cat.
Not sure you were paying attention the second half of last season mate. Took the scalps of some of the best rucks in the comp whilst picking up 20-30 possessions pretty regularly.

They don't have a 2017 first rounder unfortunately - that's at Brisbane. Max Lynch was drafted last year as a rookie but of course he'll need time if he's even going to make it all. We'd likely have to pluck a ruck off another club who would make sure to tax us extra because we'd b desperate. Then we'd look like idiots for trading Witts by trading a good pick for Tom Nicholls or Callum Sinclair.

So yes, Grundy leaving is not an ideal situation for the club in any way. Port can stay well away especially;)
wow...thats likely a top 5 pick for Brisbane...nicely played.

Not sure you were paying attention the second half of last season mate. Took the scalps of some of the best rucks in the comp whilst picking up 20-30 possessions pretty regularly.
You're right; I wasn't. Maybe he was but I was barely shitting on the bloke, you've gone a little defensive. I had to work weekends and watching the Pies under ol Bucks... not too much of an incentive!

You're right; I wasn't. Maybe he was but I was barely shitting on the bloke, you've gone a little defensive. I had to work weekends and watching the Pies under ol Bucks... not too much of an incentive!
Not defensive. Apex36 was spot on that Grundy isn't still riding his first season form. His second half of the season would have been among the top 5 rucks in the comp. Including a 3 week hot patch where he polled Brownlow votes in 3 consecutive games including back to back best on grounds.

If Brodie was going to leave Collingwood it would be to another Victorian club I think. He seems very settled in Melbourne.

Not defensive. Apex36 was spot on that Grundy isn't still riding his first season form. His second half of the season would have been among the top 5 rucks in the comp. Including a 3 week hot patch where he polled Brownlow votes in 3 consecutive games including back to back best on grounds.

If Brodie was going to leave Collingwood it would be to another Victorian club I think. He seems very settled in Melbourne.
Excellent. He can have all the cash he wants :)

Did you watch the 2nd Half of the Season Last Year as he was Arguably the 2nd Best Ruckman in the AFL behind Gawn

Brodie Grundy is good but 1M or near that is reserved for the best of the best ruckmen, (Cox, Nic Nat, Sandi) And Grundy hasn't yet shown he'll be in the best 5 ruckman in the comp yet IMO.

???

He Beat Mumford when we played Him. I say Equalled Goldstein and Gawn when we played them.

You be paying on Potential IF you want to offer that kind of Money

???

He Beat Mumford when we played Him. I say Equalled Goldstein and Gawn when we played them.

You be paying on Potential IF you want to offer that kind of Money
Has he sustained it for a whole season yet? NO. I don't rate players on a few good games. But IMO, nobody is paying north of 600k a year for him. Not dominant enough yet and would be a pretty big gamble.

Has he sustained it for a whole season yet? NO. I don't rate players on a few good games. But IMO, nobody is paying north of 600k a year for him. Not dominant enough yet and would be a pretty big gamble.

Then why would he be Highly Wanted then?

Back