Markfs' Board of Directors Watch

Thoughts on how well Ed and the board are doing?

• I have no interest in this stuff, don't see what it's got to do with winning footy games

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Very happy with the way things are, Ed and the board are doing a great job

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Ed and the board are doing OK, but wish others would stand and provide us with choice

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Time for Ed and the board to go

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So, do you want the entire board turned over with exception to Camplin-Warner and McGuire?

Or do you just want Ian McMullin to get the guillotine?

While I'm at it, do you have any suggestions as to who would replace the current board members? Anyone at all? Is there actually anyone putting their proverbial hands up for the board or making any noise whatsoever?

i'm pointing out some things about the board members. if you know anything different, add to the discussion. if you have suggestions or want the current people to stay, make your case. I made my opinions clear.

This is very useful material Mark.

In recent years I've admired the way the Dogs have gone about things, even before they won the flag last year. I have great admiration for Sue Alberti, although I think she has retired from their Board. Wondering how the makeup of the Dogs' Board compares?

Right now we need courageous and independent thinkers and doers. We don't need 'yes' men and women, who don't stand up to Eddie.

could you please change the title of the thread to Markfs CFC Watch... some people are thinking that I am talking about the forum.thanks

Christine Holgate is the Chief Executive Officer of leading Australian vitamin company Blackmores and boasts over 20 years public board experience, including her appointment as Chair of the Board of the Australian-ASEAN Council by the Government in September 2015.

She is CEO of Blackmores...... If that isnt a conflict of interest, what is a conflict of interest. It is the Board of the Collingwood Football club that decides what sponsorships are accepted the club and the price that is paid.....Holgate would probably exclude herself from these negotiations - gary pert was probably the guy who did it....but the board signs off on the deal....

Ignoring this, what does she bring to the Board.... she is a woman..... that is it...

she has no experience in sporting clubs...

she has no sporting credentials.....

she cant even boast of being a life long supporter of the club....

evidently she's become a mate of eddie..... so its a done deal

What does alicia camplin know about running football clubs? What does her 15 minutes of winter olympics fame contribute beyond a rubber stamp vote for eddie's bullshit like a netball team?

http://www.switzer.com.au/lifestyle/weekend-switzer/issue-9/holgates-successful-tonic/seems

it seems that Ms. Holgate is good person. She was a waitress back in the old country before coming here. She profit shares her blackmores profits with her staff - although the company did that long before she got there so it isnt her initiative......but she seems ok...

but other than being successful, i dont know what makes her a board member....and there's that conflict of interest of her being the CEO of a major sponsor....

and this is a personal view, she runs a company which is basically based on bogus bullshit. Most doctors will tell you that vitamins are sleight of hand magic .....so it's not as if she is doing anything constructive in this world...but thats my opinion...

so what does she offer, other than the female chromosome?

So spots on the board are bought now are they Jmac? They don't go to the best most competent people.. just given out to the filthy rich who can afford a $10mil donation... Great basis for board selection there.

My problem with selling board memberships is that it isnt done by an open process where we could get higher price. i'm sure that there are business people out there who would pay a lot more for a place on the board.

and let me tell you, the people on the board refer to their board position with the CFC at EVERY opportunity..... in every interview....in every bio..... they make sure that they get their money's worth....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

by the way, did i tell you that MY team plays at the ground behind me????? ch-ching
2e839883be7b44c44453a41df0d0a705

AND REMEMBER..... WE REGULARLY QUESTION THE INTENTIONS AND THE COMMITMENT OF THE PLAYERS ON THE CFC BOARD....

in the years, i've been reading posts here, i've never seen anyone question the intentions of the people who run the club....

My problem with selling board memberships is that it isnt done by an open process where we could get higher price. i'm sure that there are business people out there who would pay a lot more for a place on the board.

and let me tell you, the people on the board refer to their board position with the CFC at EVERY opportunity..... in every interview....in every bio..... they make sure that they get their money's worth....
Selling board memberships to the highest bidder is a recipe for disaster. We will end up with Clive Palmer as president if we do that. This is actually a really good and worthwhile thread discussion The board composition and the prerequisites to get on it are worth having a look at. Seems to me we are very light on for footballing expertise there. It's the sort of board you might expect to end up with when you have a gameshow host as your president.

What does alicia camplin know about running football clubs? What does her 15 minutes of winter olympics fame contribute beyond a rubber stamp vote for eddie's bullshit like a netball team?

That is such a disrespectful post. I'd venture to say that her 15 plus year career at IBM in an executive strategy role plus the fact that she won an Olympic gold medal with two fractured ankles makes her as qualified as anyone to sit on a board and realistically places her as the premier athlete in the entire organisation.

http://www.switzer.com.au/lifestyle/weekend-switzer/issue-9/holgates-successful-tonic/seems

it seems that Ms. Holgate is good person. She was a waitress back in the old country before coming here. She profit shares her blackmores profits with her staff - although the company did that long before she got there so it isnt her initiative......but she seems ok...

but other than being successful, i dont know what makes her a board member....and there's that conflict of interest of her being the CEO of a major sponsor....

and this is a personal view, she runs a company which is basically based on bogus bullshit. Most doctors will tell you that vitamins are sleight of hand magic .....so it's not as if she is doing anything constructive in this world...but thats my opinion...

so what does she offer, other than the female chromosome?

A few things ...

(1) Pretty sure she's the only interstate member on our board. I know that you (like me) are very passionate about the club thinking beyond 3066 - she's potentially our rep for that cause.

(2) Business acumen. If "Good old Collingwood" is going to be "forever", it's important we've got people on the board who know how to keep companies afloat and prosper. For all your poo-pooing of running a vitamins company - it is a company that is accountable to medical regulators (TGA in Australia) - you do need grown-ups running those gigs.

Selling board memberships to the highest bidder is a recipe for disaster. We will end up with Clive Palmer as president if we do that. This is actually a really good and worthwhile thread discussion The board composition and the prerequisites to get on it are worth having a look at. Seems to me we are very light on for footballing expertise there. It's the sort of board you might expect to end up with when you have a gameshow host as your president.

well its not surprising that he bought a board membership..... his father in law bought a presidency at carlton and his mother in law is still on the board for that same reason...

the question is why has collingwood gone down that route? other than the fact that alex is probably a good friend of eddie...

i think we all know that if you work for an organisation that is constantly stuffing commitment and traditions down your throat, and yet the leadership is as committed as a bunch of justin bieber fans....hmmmm bad analogy, i'd like the board to have the commitment of the beaver fans.. anyway, if the leadership is saying something different from what it is doing, then the troops will get very very cynical and start looking out for themselves.

The culture of the club starts at the top, not at the bottom...

A few things ...

(1) Pretty sure she's the only interstate member on our board. I know that you (like me) are very passionate about the club thinking beyond 3066 - she's potentially our rep for that cause.

(2) Business acumen. If "Good old Collingwood" is going to be "forever", it's important we've got people on the board who know how to keep companies afloat and prosper. For all your poo-pooing of running a vitamins company - it is a company that is accountable to medical regulators (TGA in Australia) - you do need grown-ups running those gigs.

well i meet criteria 1 because i live interstate..... there might be a few more of us out here

as for criteria 2, i recognise that blackmores does not harm the community. She is not running a cigarette company. However, my point is that if we are really promoting the club's community intentions, I think we could find some long-term genuine collingwood supporters who have skills in running community organisations and probably running companies that make money...

i recognise that it might be harder to find highly placed women with that experience....

in the end, she is the least of my concerns.... try making a case for ian mcmullin

So true and funny it's frightening! Visions of runningman by Stephen King

well its not surprising that he bought a board membership..... his father in law bought a presidency at carlton and his mother in law is still on the board for that same reason...

the question is why has collingwood gone down that route? other than the fact that alex is probably a good friend of eddie...

i think we all know that if you work for an organisation that is constantly stuffing commitment and traditions down your throat, and yet the leadership is as committed as a bunch of justin bieber fans....hmmmm bad analogy, i'd like the board to have the commitment of the beaver fans.. anyway, if the leadership is saying something different from what it is doing, then the troops will get very very cynical and start looking out for themselves.

The culture of the club starts at the top, not at the bottom...
Seems like a good board to have for kick starting our netball team and women's team and doing good public relations. They know their finances too and would no doubt throw a good party. I wonder if they realise we're not doing so well at that footballing thingy we do in one of our subsidiaries. They will eventually find out in the half yearly report I suppose.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/pratt-soninlaw-to-join-blues-board-20091203-k8r7.html

The Vice President of the Collingwood football club runs the investment arm of the Pratt family Empire...Thorney investment group... the vice president of the club. And we wonder why the players play as if they are working for their next pay check

Mate, I can't help think how irrelevant some of your ranting has been.

You need to fully understand the role played by each board member. It all begins with the president, who, unfortunately has to take the blame for what has transpired. Maybe he has been in the role for too long and still running it as an autocrat. Time has moved on and with it the role and operation of the president.

well i meet criteria 1 because i live interstate..... there might be a few more of us out here

How many of us are CEO of a $1.8 billion company?

Sure, it's not the only measure of success - but how many suitable equivalents would be out there?

I can type 70wpm, I cook a mean spag bol, and I can recite the first 30 elements of the periodic table. I don't think my achievements stack up somehow :(

as for criteria 2, i recognise that blackmores does not harm the community. She is not running a cigarette company. However, my point is that if we are really promoting the club's community intentions, I think we could find some long-term genuine collingwood supporters who have skills in running community organisations and probably running companies that make money...

Totally agree with your point about having representation on the board of someone who has NFP / community organisation experience. IMO it should be limited to one or two people though.

i recognise that it might be harder to find highly placed women with that experience....

ColinWood might tick a few boxes for you ;)

Back