QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

A very young and different looking Magpies side went down by about 6 goals to Morningside. At times it looked like Morningside had 10 extra players on the ground when working it out of their back half. When going forward Maggies found it hard to hit a target and were often kicking to 3 on 1 contests. Looks like Morningside were playing a loose man in defence while the Maggies were playing a forward up the middle of the ground, hence the difficulties. They appeared to go man on man in the last quarter which really evened things up - Maggies possibly even came out in top.
I suppose that's what practise games are for - testing structures and game plans and both sides came away learning a few lessons to take into the season.

Should be good for the maggies to finally have a game. Been training sunce November under a new coach and with 10 gone from last years side and a youthful feel about the place with plenty of local juniors looking to play seniors at their home club, this was literally the first time they have taken the field!

The called off praccy game really hurt preseason preparations

Balwyn and Blackburn are playing on good Friday. Strathmore and Keillor in edfl. Ammos is a traditional league.

Ok yep you are right. When I checked a few weeks ago when I booked my flights I couldn't find a game anywhere, so a couple of fixture changes.

There's also a VFL game too, but originally all comps had byes on the Easter weekend.

Perhaps a couple of QAFl clubs should ask for a fixture change next year as an experiment to see if Good Friday pulls a crowd

Ok yep you are right. When I checked a few weeks ago when I booked my flights I couldn't find a game anywhere, so a couple of fixture changes.

There's also a VFL game too, but originally all comps had byes on the Easter weekend.

Perhaps a couple of QAFl clubs should ask for a fixture change next year as an experiment to see if Good Friday pulls a crowd

The Ovens and Murray , the Murray , and a few other local comps in that area all play a game on Good Friday and experience large crowds.

The Ovens and Murray , the Murray , and a few other local comps in that area all play a game on Good Friday and experience large crowds.

In fact , the Murray league play 5 games on the good friday.
The GVFL also have a good friday match ......
and all other games for the fixture afe played on the easter saturday

The QAFL is still treated like a kids league and they are worried about families going away for the holidays. Queensland footy is a joke.
You happy to umpire any games over Easter peanut? Reckon this would be the biggest drama. I'm like Damo, unsure why it didnt start earlier and games at Easter, and especially good Friday, are dumb IMO,at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What ?? How did you come to that conclusion ?? If it makes you feel better, then sure !!
Just reading your message about how the game would be played if you were an umpire. Wasn't that hard to piece together why I asked that I didn't think

Just reading your message about how the game would be played if you were an umpire. Wasn't that hard to piece together why I asked that I didn't think
Still, how would that make me some kind of 'hard man' ?? Assuming I had any level of umpire accreditation, all it would take is a bunch of 'play on' calls, allowing the game to flow, and paying very few free kicks. It was all a bit of fun internet banter with SMY.

So in Morningside's opinion Palm Beach Lions are the benchmark of this competition, according to the QAFL interview.

If you actually listen to it they say benchmark for the majority of last year and not on the final day. Was no reference to this year. Clearly Labrador are the benchmark

I'd say Labrador Palm Beach in any order then daylight, throw a blanket over the rest of the teams bar Surfers & Sandgate to finish 3rd 4th n 5th, Wilston Grange n Broadbeach to be the big improvers n either or both could snag a finals spot & Surfers/Sandgate to round off the bottom two.
I reckon either Western Magpies or Mt.Gravatt could slide downwards n miss the 5 if have a bad run with injuries, good test for both coaches, either could finish 3rd or 6/7th.

I'd say Labrador Palm Beach in any order then daylight, throw a blanket over the rest of the teams bar Surfers & Sandgate to finish 3rd 4th n 5th, Wilston Grange n Broadbeach to be the big improvers n either or both could snag a finals spot & Surfers/Sandgate to round off the bottom two.
I reckon either Western Magpies or Mt.Gravatt could slide downwards n miss the 5 if have a bad run with injuries, good test for both coaches, either could finish 3rd or 6/7th.
It's all a bit of a guessing game until the real season starts isn't it ?

Some recruits look good on paper but sometimes don't deliver due to a variety of reasons.

The coaches and captains previews have been interesting to watch

The Gorillas open their new clubhouse/dressing rooms, and use their new lights for the first time, this Monday night v Sandgate.

The playing surface is pretty immaculate at the moment as well, so Hickey Park should now be a more attractive venue for visiting teams, and games in general.

I think we'll have a good crowd in on Monday night to kick off the season, looking forward to it.

Grange and Sandgate have been playing Anzac eve twighlight/evening games for the past couple of seasons. They are always a well attended game at both venues.

Shitter than average umpiring leads to shitter than average games where players seem to take the law into their own hands vigilante style and square ups and rough play are common place due to inadequate control from the umpire.

Peanut is just confirming he is shitter than average....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back