Toast Round 2 Rising Star Nom: Ryan Burton GET AROUND HIM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit silly...

Alright. Two i'll give you. Either way its been a horrid 5 years of drafting.
First round picks on O'Brien, Hartung, and O'Rourke.

Graham Wright has to be feeling the heat

2016 Draft
Harry Morrison - Jury is out
Mitchell Lewis - Jury is out

2015 Draft
Ryan Burton - Star
Kieran Lovell - Jury is out
Blake Hardwick - Jury is out

2014 Draft
Jon O'Rourke - Spud (I get that it was a trade, but we used our first rounder on him)
Dan Howe - Jury is out
Teia Miles - Spud
Marc Pittonet- Spud

2013 Draft
Billy Hartung - Spud
Dayle Garlett - Delisted
James Sicily - Tick
2012 Draft
Tim O'Brien - Spud
Kaiden Brand - Jury is out

2016 Draft

2015 Draft
Ryan Burton - Star

2014 Draft
Jon O'Rourke - Spud (I get that it was a trade, but we used our first rounder on him)
Dan Howe - Jury is out
Teia Miles - Spud
Marc Pittonet- Spud

2013 Draft
Billy Hartung - Spud
Dayle Garlett - Delisted
James Sicily - Tick
2012 Draft
Tim O'Brien - Spud

Your a brave person questioning anything Graham Wright does on this board mate.

Your a brave person questioning anything Graham Wright does on this board mate.

Yeah it's amazing how people overate him.

This board hailed Pelchen for years when we had him, then once he left he copped the criticism he deserved.

Wright will be the same.

Basically the 2004 draft and 2001 drafts were the backbone of the 3 peat

One tick...yay

The jury is still out on a lot of those 'spuds'...

Now many of them were lower than pick 20?

Spuds might be a bit harsh. But those particular players aren't AFL standard.

Majority were lower than pick 20. But numerous in the 20-30 range. There's a reason we have a worst youth in the league. A combination of poor draft selections and poor drafting.

O'Rourke, Hartung, and O'Brien are three misses and were all in the top 30 of the draft

Yeah it's amazing how people overate him.

This board hailed Pelchen for years when we had him, then once he left he copped the criticism he deserved.

Wright will be the same.

Basically the 2004 draft and 2001 drafts were the backbone of the 3 peat

Correct and we filled hole's really well with the 2009-2012 Trade Periods.

Spuds might be a bit harsh.
Majority were lower than pick 20. But numerous in the 20-30 range. There's a reason we have a worst youth in the league. A combination of poor draft selections and poor drafting.

O'Rourke, Hartung, and O'Brien are three misses and were all in the top 30 of the draft

Only O'Rourke was below 20. (19, I think)

have a look at other lists, not just ours, and look at how many guns come from outside the first 15-20. It's still a lottery
The poor selections have played a major part, and perhaps some players haven't come on to be what we would have wanted. But I don't think we can nail definite A-graders (or even B+-ers, with the s**t picks we've had for the past 5 years)

Hartung has been a big disappointment so far, I agree..

Last edited:

2016 Draft

2015 Draft
Ryan Burton - Star

2014 Draft
Dan Howe - Jury is out
Teia Miles - Spud
Marc Pittonet- Spud

2013 Draft
Billy Hartung - Spud
Dayle Garlett - Delisted
James Sicily - Tick
2012 Draft
Tim O'Brien - Spud
Howe is a definitely a spud

Only O'Rourke was below 20.

have a look at other lists, not just ours, and look at how many guns come from outside the first 15-20. It's still a lottery
The poor selections have played a major part, and perhaps some players haven't come on to be what we would have wanted. But I don't think we can nail definite A-graders (or even B+-ers, with the s**t picks we've had for the past 5 years)

No doubt it makes the job a lot tougher. I'm not expecting stars with the picks we've had. Unfortunately we haven't picked enough players that are capable at AFL level.

Other teams have found more than us in recent time. Look at a Jayden Hunt at Melbourne. Or a few of those young Saints that made us look silly yesterday.

I was expecting at least one of Hartung, O'Brien, or O'Rourke to be a capable player for us.

No doubt it makes the job a lot tougher. I'm not expecting stars with the picks we've had. Unfortunately we haven't picked enough players that are capable at AFL level.

Other teams have found more than us in recent time. Look at a Jayden Hunt at Melbourne. Or a few of those young Saints that made us look silly yesterday.

I was expecting at least one of Hartung, O'Brien, or O'Rourke to be a capable player for us.

It would be handy if we had of got Zach Merrett over Hartung or Mason Wood/ Membrey over TOB.

Report from BH watchers are that JOR has what it takes. I know it's frustrating, and it sounds a cliche/cop-out/whatever, but he really is one that has yet to get his body right, and this year might be it.

TOB I would have said the same, then he pulls out a game like last week, and it looks like he's turned the corner and then it's back to ordinary this week. It's hard to tell how much is down to the team being s**t and down to the player. Gunston and Breust both look like 'spuds' this year (I really don't like this term about our own players, but just this once) but we know they're not

Hartung, I dunno...I'm not holding my breath any more. His poor decision making and delivery are conspicuous...but who knows...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Report from BH watchers are that JOR has what it takes. I know it's frustrating, and it sounds a cliche/cop-out/whatever, but he really is one that has yet to get his body right, and this year might be it.

TOB I would have said the same, then he pulls out a game like last week, and it looks like he's turned the corner and then it's back to ordinary this week. It's hard to tell how much is down to the team being s**t and down to the player. Gunston and Breust both look like 'spuds' this year (I really don't like this term about our own players, but just this once) but we know they're not

Hartung, I dunno...I'm not holding my breath any more. His poor decision making and delivery are conspicuous...but who knows...

Agreed it's hard to tell. But those three players didn't really impress last season when there were opportunities. We had some sort of gameplan last year to.

Hopefully JOR gets a clean run at it and makes it. From what I've seen he isn't going to. As much as it pains me to say. To me, he doesn't have the drive and belief to make it.

I really rated Hartung year 1. If anything he's gone backwards. His decision making is poor, and he is a pea heart. He is only playing this season due to his run. We have no one else capable of offering that at BH.

TOB just doesn't have the size for AFL. West Coast was easily his best game. But it's a one off in my view. Eagles didn't show him the respect Saints did. The result was 4-5 times being outworked and outmarked.

Saw the lad at Southland with Billy today. Was sitting right next to him and didn't realise.

I almost leant over for a hug.

2016 Draft

2015 Draft
Ryan Burton - Star

2014 Draft
Dan Howe - Jury is out
Teia Miles - Spud
Marc Pittonet- Spud

2013 Draft
Billy Hartung - Spud
Dayle Garlett - Delisted
James Sicily - Tick
2012 Draft
Tim O'Brien - Spud

I don't disagree with most of these ratings. If Lovell and Hardwick (4 games in and I think he his promsing) are at least ticks I think GW has done a reasonable job with the picks at his disposal. I don't think our strike is much worse than most other teams, its just we haven't had the volume of top 30 picks in the last 5 years that is now starting to bite. I had a quick look at St Kilda's drafting over 2012-2016, for example, they've had 10 top 30 to our 4 and will probably have at least 4-5 misses in there. (yes i take into account we made trades to win flags in this time and they were beginning their bottom out period).

2016 Draft

2015 Draft
Ryan Burton - Star

2014 Draft
Dan Howe - Jury is out
Teia Miles - Spud
Marc Pittonet- Spud

2013 Draft
Billy Hartung - Spud
Dayle Garlett - Delisted
James Sicily - Tick
2012 Draft
Tim O'Brien - Spud

That's probably better than you'd expect considering there's not been one top ten pick in a decade. Jury still out on JOR and TOB too. These kids need games.

According to some on this board its all just a lottery anyways, can't have it both ways. Which one is it ?

There are a shite load of variables, to say that it's not a lottery is kinda silly. Plenty of top 10 picks don't make it.

I'd say though, drafting injured players seems to be a bit of an achilles heel for us (Muston, Dowler, etc).

If O'Meara comes good, going to be egg on a few faces here. But I have reservations about that type of injury, not the player he can be. History says no-one comes back from it completely. It shortens careers.

I hope he is the exception though.

The similarities between Steven Green and Hurtung are eerie. I'm hopeful that Billy can turn the corner though. He shows glimpses every so often, and why give up on hope?

So TOB is not a footballer.... Is he 26 already? Is it still 2013, when service was lace out every week? Or is he just another in a group of under performing forwards from the past year and a bit?

We all want a lot from players right off the bat. It's silly to give up on them, right up until the club does.

So many people were howling at Chance Bateman till quite late in the peace. There are plenty of others like him too. How long did Hodge take to come truly good, a few years?

Is anyone else concerned he will request a trade back to Adelaide in the next few years?

If we continue to dish up the same s**t we have been for the rest of the year there won't be much incentive to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back