Toast Collingwood's greatest 25 players (Michael Roberts - HS today)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Michael Roberts has done a stellar job here.

The top 20 are 100% correct, I can't think of anyone I could swap out, or in to that top 20. After that it becomes a debate about many players, both recent and pre WW2, who could slide into those final 5 positions.

Hope this link isn't paywalled for most;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sp...s/news-story/26abcc812c88d290851697ea083675dc

If it is, here's the top 25;

1. Bob Rose
2. Nathan Buckley
3. Syd Coventry
4. Albert Collier
5. Harry Collier
6. Dick Lee
7. Peter Daicos
8. Gordon Coventry
9. Len Thompson
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Des Fothergill
12. Dane Swan
13. Phonse Kyne
14. Jack Regan
15. Wayne Richardson
16. Gavin Brown
17. Murray Weideman
18. Bill Picken
19. Tony Shaw
20. Peter Mckenna
21. Des Tuddenham
22. Peter Moore
23. Thorold Merrett
24. Darren Millane
25. Dick Condon

Discuss, pick apart, or just enjoy.

Richard Condon clearly to me, see Jock McHale view, as clear best 10 or so.
Loved Bill Picken but he's not, in my view, top 20.
But good job.

Note: Roberts says 100 games is mandatory which pushes out Ron Todd, Fred Leach, Phil Carman, Dan Minogue in my view.

Ted Rowell to me would be close best 25 too.

Pendles is pretty high. I love the guy, but not sure about that.

I'm always uncomfortable with these lists. How can we confidently place, or disregard, our stars of 100 years ago? Anyway, great to see Bobby Rose at the top.

Having a go at our top 10, order a bit too hard but top ten, applying games played criteria so matches though I'd prefer that not be a factor as denies Ron Todd and others of their unique place:

Bob Rose
Nathan Buckley
Gordon Coventry
Leeter Collier
Harry Collier
Dick Lee*
Peter Daicos
Des Fothergill
Richard Condon
Jack Regan

*agree he MUST become an AFL Legend, won the goalkicking 10! times

Pendles is pretty high. I love the guy, but not sure about that.

I'm always uncomfortable with these lists. How can we confidently place, or disregard, our stars of 100 years ago? Anyway, great to see Bobby Rose at the top.
Agreed he is very high, many could make the argument Swan should be higher, i used to think the same until i heard this stat. The list of players with the most consecutive games in the AFL ever with 80+ ratings points for a game (forgive me i dont remember the exact numbers):

1st - Pendles - 115 games
2nd - A Geelong bloke i forgot the name of - 80 games
3rd - Swanny - 75 games
4th - Pendles - 70 games

The blokes consistency is just on another level. Being number 1 is absurd, but then also holding the 4th place is ridiculous. Never has a bad game (except ANZAC Day this year where the streak was broken). Is his best better than some of these blokes? Maybe not, but i think consistency is vastly underrated in the AFL today.

Rose must've been an amazing player, only played about 150 games.
The Rose story is amazing really.

Left to coach in the country at just 27.

Had won 4 Copelands before that, and 2 of those in grand final years (one flag too).

If he'd played his whole career at Collingwood he'd be top 5 AFL/VFL all time.

Having a go at our top 10, order a bit too hard but top ten, applying games played criteria so matches though I'd prefer that not be a factor as denies Ron Todd and others of their unique place:

Bob Rose
Nathan Buckley
Gordon Coventry
Leeter Collier
Harry Collier
Dick Lee*
Peter Daicos
Des Fothergill
Richard Condon
Jack Regan

*agree he MUST become an AFL Legend, won the goalkicking 10! times

Between 1906 and 1922, during what was then a Victorian Football League record seventeen consecutive seasons, Lee played 230 V.F.L. games for Collingwood and kicked 713 goals. He headed the V.F.L. goal-kicking ladder eight times (1907-10, 1914, 1916-17, 1919) and tied for the lead twice (1915, 1921)—a record which has not been challenged. Lee was players' representative for nine years (1909-12, 1915-19), vice-captain twice (1910-11) and captain twice (1920-21). He played in three premiership teams (1910, 1917, 1919) and after retirement as a player served Collingwood for an additional sixteen years as vice-president (1923-34, 1950-53). Injuries seriously hindered his playing career.

Lee twice (1910, 1915) won the greatest distinction bestowed on footballers in his day, Champion Player of the Colony. He could star in defence or on the ball as well as at full-forward and he was one of the truly great high marks, arguably the equal of Roy Cazaly. Lee's marking has been described as 'freakish' and photographs of him taking the ball high over other players have been reproduced countless times. He was also a great kick, extremely adept with drop-kick or punt but especially proficient in the place-kick. According to Harry Collier (captain of Collingwood 1935-39) Lee could place-kick a goal from the boundary line without seeing daylight between the goalposts—even at a rival ground with kids throwing oranges trying to knock the ball over!

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/lee-walter-henry-dick-7152

I would have daicos second injuries cruelled him as a great all round play of the game
If you're picking most talented he's number one.

Injuries forced him away from the midfield where he was sublime, into a forward where he was just freakish.

Easily the most talented player ever to pull on a Collingwood jumper, Phil Carman next according to those who saw his 1975 (??) season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries forced him away from the midfield where he was sublime, into a forward where he was just freakish.

Easily the most talented player ever to pull on a Collingwood jumper, Phil Carman next according to those who saw his 1975 (??) season.
Carmans 75 season was great.

Carman was the most talented player I have ever seen.
Saw lots of Daicos and Buckley and they were both freaks, but for pure talent Carman had both of them covered

Carman was the most talented player I have ever seen.
Saw lots of Daicos and Buckley and they were both freaks, but for pure talent Carman had both of them covered
Yeah I never saw Carman play, but my old man raves about him, especially those first few years.

Daicos was just fun to watch though, never seen anyone control a ball like he did, in any team.

Agree. Carman best I've ever seen.

But fell short of required games played on Michael Roberts criteria

Between 1906 and 1922, during what was then a Victorian Football League record seventeen consecutive seasons, Lee played 230 V.F.L. games for Collingwood and kicked 713 goals. He headed the V.F.L. goal-kicking ladder eight times (1907-10, 1914, 1916-17, 1919) and tied for the lead twice (1915, 1921)—a record which has not been challenged. Lee was players' representative for nine years (1909-12, 1915-19), vice-captain twice (1910-11) and captain twice (1920-21). He played in three premiership teams (1910, 1917, 1919) and after retirement as a player served Collingwood for an additional sixteen years as vice-president (1923-34, 1950-53). Injuries seriously hindered his playing career.

Lee twice (1910, 1915) won the greatest distinction bestowed on footballers in his day, Champion Player of the Colony. He could star in defence or on the ball as well as at full-forward and he was one of the truly great high marks, arguably the equal of Roy Cazaly. Lee's marking has been described as 'freakish' and photographs of him taking the ball high over other players have been reproduced countless times. He was also a great kick, extremely adept with drop-kick or punt but especially proficient in the place-kick. According to Harry Collier (captain of Collingwood 1935-39) Lee could place-kick a goal from the boundary line without seeing daylight between the goalposts—even at a rival ground with kids throwing oranges trying to knock the ball over!

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/lee-walter-henry-dick-7152
Absolute super star.

Only time (and being Collingwood) means he's lost somewhat in the sands of time.

not a bad list. I'd have daicos above bucks buts it's understandable having bucks higher than daicos.

Buckley is probably the most consistent player we'd ever seen and probably responsible for the ultra professionalism we see in today's footballer. He was able to play in Any position bar ruck and did well when required to do so. Was one of the nicest kicks we've seen at Collingwood and a brilliant player who got as much out of himself as he possibly could. Buckets never left anything on the table.

Daicos, and let's not kids ourselves injuries curtiailed him, was and out and marvel. Had every every attribute required and had genuine X factor and a unparalleled skill set, was a gun midfielder and, with a shot body, became a goal scoring machine. Made the impossible a possibility almost every week and left us bewildered with some of his miraculous feats. Still my number 1 footballer I've sever seen. Bucks only a hair or 2 away.

The most interesting choice I found was pendles ahead of swanny... don't agree with this. Swanny,imo, was a better footballer than pendles. Both the complete opposite of eachother, but club greats, but I'd take Sean to over pendles. I still think swanky was more damaging. Pendles, like bucks, does all things in he background to extract all his ability, whereas swanny, was just a talented footballer who could play and had fun doing it. Swanny should have also had 2 brownlows, not 1.

Johnny should be there for sure...and just quietly...JG had Carman covered for skills and X factor too
Greening another one that was elite level talent.

Phil Carman absolute super star

Yeah I never saw Carman play, but my old man raves about him, especially those first few years.

Daicos was just fun to watch though, never seen anyone control a ball like he did, in any team.
Carman WAS elite of elite.

Daicos brilliant on both sides left and right, either or

Remove this Banner Ad

Back