Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Fagan had the opportunity to prise away a valued player from Hawthorn, but refused to do so because of some sense of loyalty to his former club, I'd be ropeable. We pay his salary, and we recruited him in large part because of those existing contacts and networks that might give us a slender competitive edge when it comes to recruiting players.

So by the same token I can't criticise Leppitsch if he's using his relationship with Schache to bring him to Richmond. It sucks for all kinds of reasons, but his responsibility right now is to his current employer, not to us.
I think it's the principle of it with Leppa. Only last year he was complaining about our players getting poached and now he's joining in. He knows too well the predicament this club is in. He's just sticking the knife in now.

The PSD is the weakest of weak threats. Players can go in the national draft and nominate their contract requirements.

Unless we are willing to cut our own throat to make a point and redraft a player who doesn't want to be here with a high draft pick, we can't blackmail our way to a better deal.
If he decided Richmond and they had pick 1 in the PSD. We would be low balled big time. So there are some benefits in having the high PSD pick.

I wonder if we as a club would benefit long term from re-drafting a player in this situation (through the PSD that is). The AFLPA would loose their s**t and we could argue back saying we are losing quality players left right and centre and have no choice to stay competitive.

We'd most likely would trade him after a year anyway and he'd be getting paid what he wants. It could force the AFL and the AFLPA to at least stop sitting on their hands and do something.

If Fagan had the opportunity to prise away a valued player from Hawthorn, but refused to do so because of some sense of loyalty to his former club, I'd be ropeable. We pay his salary, and we recruited him in large part because of those existing contacts and networks that might give us a slender competitive edge when it comes to recruiting players.

So by the same token I can't criticise Leppitsch if he's using his relationship with Schache to bring him to Richmond. It sucks for all kinds of reasons, but his responsibility right now is to his current employer, not to us.

Not during the season, where the kid is supposed to be representing the Brisbane Lions and he is coaching the opposition. After round 23, no issue - but not while Josh is in Lions colors, he is essentially 'distracting' one of our young players mid season as an opposition coach. No way is that ok, let alone the fact he is using previous intel and a connection to our club (whilst being payed by us) to do so.

I find it interesting that Wilson's scoop was immediately followed by Richmond also playing against GWS last Saturday (noting our reserves also played against GWS before the Richmond game) and Richmond officials had the opportunity to meet with Schache in Sydney...

I find it interesting that Wilson's scoop was immediately followed by Richmond also playing against GWS last Saturday (noting our reserves also played against GWS before the Richmond game) and Richmond officials had the opportunity to meet with Schache in Sydney...

What about this vision? If that was a job interview he did a terrible job. Their was one contest where he failed to mark and then watched his opponent run off and made no effort to chase.

It also came after another Richmond choke, so maybe they want some good news out there to distract all the fans who want Dimma sacked again.

Totally agree.

For those with short memories didn't 'we', as a group, all toast Leppa when he was using his connection/friendship with Alex Rance in trying to get him up to the Lions?

Leppas connection was said to be 'of help' to our pitch. What we are reacting to is the notion that Leppa is central to an 'ongoing pitch'.

Rance is also a grown man at the peak of his powers, very self assured with vast life experience capable of making his own choices.

Schache is a young impressionable 19 year old, not dealing with distraction in the slightest and said to be 'unhappy'. If Leppa is leading the charge on Richmond's behalf with phone call and text etc, and is causing this distraction and in addition Schache's form slump, then that's F**ed. It actually is hurting our on field performance, let alone it being a betrayal of sorts.

And the big factor is in or out of season, again - him talking to a young opposition player after round 23 - is fine, and is very different to calling and texting him or his manger mid season as an opposition coach causing distraction.

Personally I wouldn't be happy if I heard Fagen was personally leading the charge, mid season, in trying to poach a 19 year old from hawthorn. But knowing what Chris is like, there is NO WAY he would do that. TBH - I highly doubt Leppa would be comfortable doing that, maybe being central more meant, the central reason Josh wants to go to Richmond, as opposed to Leppa actually being on the phone to him.

The fact that only 1 is a top 10 pick is not really the point. A good portion of those players listed would have received attractive offers to move elsewhere- they chose to stay.

I think it is the point actually. Top 10 draft pick is a huge commodity we continually lose. We put a lot of time and development into them and we are losing them after 2 years bar Mayes. There were actually rumours that Mayes was trying to shop himself around as well but didn't attract any team so he signed with us.

For obvious reasons atop 10 pick re-signing are obvious: Generally a higher chance of being far talented than lower down in the ladder. There are anomalies tho. Secondly, yes we have had a good history in re-signing 2nd round and lower but l wouldn't say we have a lot of high skilled, quality players in the 2nd round or lower. Ergo, barely in the top 22 in the bottom team means that other teams probably wouldn't offer them anything.

We don't really know that those players that you listed would have received offers either. Can't imagine Taylor would have the way he played, Skinner 2 ACL, Paps hasn't really done much (might have gotten something from a WC team l dunno), Cutler possible.

What about this vision? If that was a job interview he did a terrible job. Their was one contest where he failed to mark and then watched his opponent run off and made no effort to chase.
Made for Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If everyone thinks he is under pressure now just wait when he signs the $700,000 a year deal at Tigerland and he does not perform to expectations. Imagine the tiger army then. Going to a club like Richmond with big money and being seen as a problem solver for the forward line and not performing, the heat will come on him 10 fold. If he thought he has pressure now, going to a club like Richmond or Collingwood as a big recruit, mate you better prepare yourself if you don't perform.
On the other hand if he does go to the Tigers, he will find it a lot easier l reckon. Immensly better resources, probably better developmental coachs and more of them, Psychologist, playing behind Reiwoldt is huge as it gives him the 2nd Key defender and another off-season of incremental improvement and size etc. I wouldn't blame him at all as it is something l would probably do, but it is still disappointing.

You'd hope Leppa and Fagan would put the players best interest before their current club which is what Leppa apparently did with Rance.
You assume he isn't.
I think it's the principle of it with Leppa. Only last year he was complaining about our players getting poached and now he's joining in. He knows too well the predicament this club is in. He's just sticking the knife in now.
The assumption here is that Leppa is trying to coerce Schache to move against his will.
Maybe Schache initiated any plans to move. "Leppa, can you get me to Richmond?" For Richmond and Schache, it's a win, win. If he is happy here, he will stay. If he goes, it's because he wants to go.
If a coach is able to use their relationship to convince a player to move, the player was already open to the move.

You'd hope Leppa and Fagan would put the players best interest before their current club which is what Leppa apparently did with Rance.

I don't hope that. I want Fagan to be absolutely ruthless in trying to make us competitive again.

I don't give a stuff about Schache's best interests. It seems to me he gets to choose between being massively overpaid to play sport in Melbourne, or massively overpaid to play sport in Brisbane. But even if it's Jake Barrett on the rookie list I still don't care much, to be honest, provided there aren't serious compassionate issues.

I don't hope that. I want Fagan to be absolutely ruthless in trying to make us competitive again.

I don't give a stuff about Schache's best interests. It seems to me he gets to choose between being massively overpaid to play sport in Melbourne, or massively overpaid to play sport in Brisbane. But even if it's Jake Barrett on the rookie list I still don't care much, to be honest, provided there aren't serious compassionate issues.

No issues with the difficulties Schache is obviously going through at the moment?

You assume he isn't.

The assumption here is that Leppa is trying to coerce Schache to move against his will.
Maybe Schache initiated any plans to move. "Leppa, can you get me to Richmond?" For Richmond and Schache, it's a win, win. If he is happy here, he will stay. If he goes, it's because he wants to go.
If a coach is able to use their relationship to convince a player to move, the player was already open to the move.

Or he arrived at Richmond late last year and said 'Josh Schache hasn't made it known yet, but I feel as if he is movable if I were to work on him' - and he made contact, utilized his relationship with him around Feb, and Josh became 'unhappy' and 'keen to go home'.. in about March.

Both your and my suggestions are highly plausible, but either way, if he is talking to Schache MID SEASON and distracting him, challenging his loyalty,and putting ideas in his head about next year - all of which is said to be contributing to a massive form slump, then he is a prick. If he is not, fine, lets move on.

If he asked, "Leppa, can you get me to Richmond?", mid season or that conversation is currently ongoing.. Leppas answer should be - I am an opposition coach and have a relationship built around the IP of my time at your current club, I don't feel comfortable discussing this with you in the season, especially where you are concentrating on your footy, but what I will do is let my our list manager know you are keen to get to Richmond and he can contact your manager, if you need any more info or want to tour the facility at seasons end I would be happy to chat more once your decision is public and the season is done'.

Last edited:
Looks like I chose a good night to crash early and a good morning to go for a ride. **** me that was not a nice 6 pages to read through.

If Schache goes it will be annoying, we seem to only get 1 good year out of a player while they spend year 2 stinking it up working out contract offers.

But this time it's not as bad, so long as we go hard at the trade & get maximum return.

The key now is keeping mcstay mcluggage & the other 2016 draftees. What id like to see is the club announce one over the next week or so. Don't care if it's Cox or witherden or a bigger target just some positive press to fight against all this schache s**t.

If we take ballenden & add 3 first round mids for next year we won't miss Schache - with hammelman, close & Freeman we were looking KPF heavy anyway.

Sorry Carlos Danger, unless we receive a high PP or rocky leaves and nets us a high compo pick, or Richmond trade us both their first round picks, it will be pick 1, then match a bid on Ballenden, then use the pick traded in for Schache on next best player that doesn't figure to be a flight risk.

Heard something to the contrary that contradicts Wilson's story?

Yes. I'd be pretty surprised if he has changed his mind that quickly to the point he is now 100% departing the club. A huge offer could no doubt have changed his mind, but I'm certainly not resigned to losing him. My money is on him staying.

Well according to Caroline Wilson he is gone - not sure how accurate she is with this stuff? But you have to think his time at the Lions is coming to an end. Like others have said previously i wouldn't pick him for the seniors just let him sit in NEAFL. Fagan said he wants to know by end of the bye - good luck with that! His manager will continue to play the game all the time knowing he is out.

Truly sick of this. It's got so bad now that the Melbourne media are now actually aware their is a problem!

Let's see how the new team of Noble and Fagan deal with it. I suggest they ask for PP on the back of Schache leaving and we will no doubt finish last. I hope they ask the AFL for PP at start of the draft and therefore we get the first two selections. Even then we are not guaranteed that the selected players will stay unless the AFL makes initial contracts 3-4 years which they don't want to do .

Another mess and when your 1-8 this just makes life as a Lions supporter so demoralising.

Considering I have a very scary feeling that this will be a one win season for us, a PP better be on its way, right after our first selection.

Considering I have a very scary feeling that this will be a one win season for us, a PP better be on its way, right after our first selection.
If we do win 1 game this season on the back of a 3 win season and we don't get the beginning of 1st round PP the AFL should just get rid of the PP altogether.

If we do win 1 game this season on the back of a 3 win season and we don't get the beginning of 1st round PP the AFL should just get rid of the PP altogether.

Not sure if it's been posted, but should both Schache and Rockliff leave and we win less than three games (finishing bottom), I'd be highly surprised if we didn't receive a priority pick disguised as free agency compensation for Rockliff (eg. Frawley/Melbourne).

Knowing us, we'll somehow find competitive form in Round 20 and string together an upset win in Rd22 against Melbourne at the G and then a nailbiter sub-6 point win against North at the Gabba in to bring us to 3 wins again. And the AFL will go "See they're improving, they don't need a PP. That form will carry into 2018."

Knowing us, we'll somehow find competitive form in Round 20 and string together an upset win in Rd22 against Melbourne at the G and then a nailbiter sub-6 point win against North at the Gabba in to bring us to 3 wins again. And the AFL will go "See they're improving, they don't need a PP. That form will carry into 2018."

I will be absolutely stunned if we finish the season with 3 wins. I just can't see it. We are so undermanned its not funny. Our midfield really does have no depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back