Prediction 2017 Trade rumour accuracy thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The ones I believe at this point are:

Josh Kelly specifically to North Melbourne due largely to the family connection with the club (old man played for them)

M McGovern to WA :(

Lever to remain a Crow :)

Pittard to Vic

Schache to Vic

Rockliff to remain a Lion

Devon Smith to Vic

Ablett to the Cats

Billings to remain a Saint

Scharenberg to remain a Pie

Sam Reid to Vic (FA)

Zak Jones to remain a Swan

Personally I have no read on the situations with Dusty, Fyfe, Hopper or Gibbs. Just as likely to stay as they are to go I feel. Would love to jag Dusty, Fyfe or Hopper, but can't see it happening. Gibbs will either play for us or Carlton in 2018, but his price has dropped and I don't think Carlton will accept what we offer (at least initially). Hard to tell how that all plays out. Maybe we've moved on. Maybe Bryce has moved on.

I bloody hope I'm wrong about Gov. The injury has made the situation even harder to read and probably delayed talks a fair bit too.

Just feels to me like we're doing everything we can to bring in a midfielder after the Gibbs debacle, and that, combined with the awful contract we handed Jenkins (I'm not a huge fan of the reported deal we handed B Crouch either), and the hugely competitive offers out there for both Lever and Gov, means we are probably not able to keep both unless they BOTH accept significant unders.

I'm confident Lever will do this. His situation feels exactly the same to me as Sloane and Lynch in recent times.

Gov? Haven't heard any of the right noises coming out of his camp which concerns me. If he does leave, we need to fully maximise the return through effectively selling the club environment and lifestyle to at least one big name mid, and subsequent contract offers and creative trading. As I said, would love to be wrong as I view him as a vital and unique cog in our premiership assault. There's not really another player with his combination of height, pace, agility, vertical leap, tackling ability and clean hands in the marking contest in the league if you really stop and think about it.
If we cannot afford to pay both Lever and Gov high contracts how are we going to be able to afford to bring in a big name mid if Gov does leave? If Gov does leave i think we will push for a first round draft pick and then draft the best mid available.

If we cannot afford to pay both Lever and Gov high contracts how are we going to be able to afford to bring in a big name mid if Gov does leave? If Gov does leave i think we will push for a first round draft pick and then draft the best mid available.
We can afford it as the salary cap goes up $2m.
It just depends whether that money is earmarked for a top mid or not.

I've had this conversation with Geelong supporters for a few months.

Apparently he is not worth anything at the trade table. The possible GOAT, the player ranked in the top 10 players in the league currently, that his club are not trying to move on.

If Gold Coast cannot get a player they need, then let him retire or play out his last CONTRACTED year at the Suns.

Try and compare this to Gibbs, you'll get told Gibbs has plenty of footy left him in - GAJ does not. Geelong are just looking to give him a spot on their list and paying him for nothing more than sentiment :rolleyes:
Gold Coast have really hardened up at the trade table of late. They will get what they want from Geelong (minimum 2 seconds) or they will send him to the PSD/let him sit out the year. Whatever applies.

They were willing to let O'meara go for nothing, they could just as easily bend Gary over and dare Geelong to come save him.

I hope they do

Our biggest area of need is the midfield.

We are offering contracts to midfielders around the league regardless of whether or not McGovern leaves. In order to do this, we can't be paying McGovern the 600k per season which he'll probably get from WA clubs.

To be clear, I believe our biggest priority in bringing in a quality mid. That unfortunately pushes re-signing a 25-30 game really promising forward down the list.

If he leaves, going to the draft is not the way I'd go. We need to win now. That draft pick won't peak for another 8 years.

Let's say hypothetically he goes to Freo, I'd be demanding a first round pick from either 2017 or 2018, and then on-trading that in a deal for an established midfielder.

At the end of the day, I don't love a net result of McGovern out, Gibbs in. But if an out of contract McGovern elects to go home, we'd probably take that.

The more exciting options include bringing in a guy like Fyfe, Martin, Kelly or even Hopper, but getting any of those to move to sleepy old Adelaide when none have any real ties here is not going to be easy.

In an ideal world, we'd re-sign Lever and Gov, AND bring in a mid. I have a strong feeling only 2 of those 3 things may be possible (would love to be wrong). McGovern looks the least likely to me.

What would Melbourne get for Hogan and would we get the same for Gov?

Mcgovern to Freo, their first in return plus our first to GWS for Josh Kelly.... is the only way I see us landing an A grade mid. We can't keep Mcgovern and Lever and expect to Land an A grade Mid without giving up something Juicy. It has to be a young mid too none of this Gibbs crap.
Even if we have pick 10 (from Freo) and 16-18 in the draft we could always bundle it up for a top 4 pick. we desperately need top end Talent that is ready to go from day dot.

He is still a brilliant footballer and at the Cats will not have to carry the load he does at GC. He and Danger can switch from forward to mid all game and become a really dangerous duo. Like I said Ablett to the Cats gets then top 2 in 2018 as long as everyone stays fit and healthy etc. He just turned 33 and probably has another 2-3 years in him at worst. He is not a Sam Mitchell. Mitchell is still a very good footballer but can't change games and doesn't get the Eagles that much closer to a flag. Abletts worth to the suns is almost Nil now but to the Cats he is worth a solid chance at a flag.
The situation is much closer to Gibbs to AFC than Mitchell to WC.

If we got Gibbs we would have improved our list and premiership chances ... same goes for Ablett to Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the catalyst for that precedent was that Hawthorn wanted to move Mitchel. Completely different situation. I'm usually not onboard with the pro victorian bias but when it comes to trade time they are off the chain.
Summary Narratives
Danger to Geelong (for family) "The Crows shouldn't fight to hard and let him go"
Gibbs to Adelaide (for family) "The Crows need to pay here, he has a contract, blues should play hardball"
Buddy to Sydney (for money) "We need to look at the COLA, can't just buy players"
Trealor to Collingwood (for money) "Kid looking for a start in the football capitol"
I could go on. This is the bit that drives me nuts. Unlike a lot of the other s**t, it also has real world implications this actually affects trade negotiations.
This is the most salient aspect of Victorian bias. It's very grating when some (not most or all) Victorians act as if they have copyright over Australian rules football and are entitled to any and every football-related benefit. When a player moves from a Vic club to a non-Vic club it's such a crying shame. And when the opposite happens, it's right and proper because Victoria is entitled to have all the good footballers.

It's blatant hypocrisy and really, really gives me the shits.

The situation is much closer to Gibbs to AFC than Mitchell to WC.

If we got Gibbs we would have improved our list and premiership chances ... same goes for Ablett to Geelong.

Gibbs gets us a fraction closer......... Ablett gets Cats substantially closer. Ablett is still a champion.

Mcgovern to Freo, their first in return plus our first to GWS for Josh Kelly.... is the only way I see us landing an A grade mid. We can't keep Mcgovern and Lever and expect to Land an A grade Mid without giving up something Juicy. It has to be a young mid too none of this Gibbs crap.
Even if we have pick 10 (from Freo) and 16-18 in the draft we could always bundle it up for a top 4 pick. we desperately need top end Talent that is ready to go from day dot.

We could offer them Freo's first, which id expect to be top 10 by year's end, and our 2018 first round whilst keeping 2017 1st rounder.

I think we will have the ammunition to trade its just whether or not Kelly would be keen to play here. I give it a less than 5% chance of happening.

Essendon wouldnt lie.
Well they would look pretty silly now to unnecessarily come out and make a statement refuting the claims, and then go and do it.

They didn't rule out recruiting him, they've only stated that they haven't offered him the 1.6 million that was reported. Hence, knocking the original rumour on its head.

I must say though, it is strange for a club to come out and deny media rumours. Usually clubs just ignore them.

Gibbs gets us a fraction closer......... Ablett gets Cats substantially closer. Ablett is still a champion.
Agreed ... but I was just saying that the Ablett / Gibbs scenarios are much closer than the Ablett / Mitchell scenarios. and yet Geelong supporters constantly refer to the Mitchell for pick 80-ish as a guide for what they should have to pay for Ablett.

I'm much more in your camp of - Ablett is a freakin' awesome addition to any list.

Can I join in?.........Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, the common sense rumours become the common sense outcomes.

Hopper to Carlton.
Kelly to North.
Gibbs to Adelaide.
Fyfe to the Saints.

Depends who the list managers are

Can I join in?.........Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, the common sense rumours become the common sense outcomes.

Hopper to Carlton.
Kelly to North.
Gibbs to Adelaide.
Fyfe to the Saints.
The Gibbs trade has sailed.
Your stuck with the old codger now.
You get zip, nada, nothing, jack chit.
Enjoy your rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back