Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

See, I still think the Saints are a side in transition - and will continue to be until Roo retires.

No matter how good he has been, unless they are contending this year he's kind of a waste. Yes, he's a brilliant leader, been a brilliant player and still dominant to a degree. But everyone knows he's probably done by the end of 2018 at the longest. After the fright everyone had in Round 1, it felt like it was time for a little.

But until he does leave, the Saints can't really move on developmentally. He's playing up the ground on a wing a lot. Yes, he's been brilliant, but wouldn't it be better off locking in Acres for 22 games and potentially looking at say Battle at this point? But no, they continue to play the old champ.

The reality is, he's not a part of their next flag. Now, I know BF says that about anyone over 28 playing for a bottom 10 side, but this is different - he's the fifth-oldest player in the league, and may very well be the oldest by next year if he goes around again.

At what point is it worth tapping him and saying 'we think it's time'?

Bottom line is after 4 years under a coach i think you'd like to see more improvement from the Saints.

Worrying, even Saints supporters are seeing that tactically he may not be up to it...Saints only win when their manic running and defensive pressure is at 100%.

See, I still think the Saints are a side in transition - and will continue to be until Roo retires.

No matter how good he has been, unless they are contending this year he's kind of a waste. Yes, he's a brilliant leader, been a brilliant player and still dominant to a degree. But everyone knows he's probably done by the end of 2018 at the longest. After the fright everyone had in Round 1, it felt like it was time for a little.

But until he does leave, the Saints can't really move on developmentally. He's playing up the ground on a wing a lot. Yes, he's been brilliant, but wouldn't it be better off locking in Acres for 22 games and potentially looking at say Battle at this point? But no, they continue to play the old champ.

The reality is, he's not a part of their next flag. Now, I know BF says that about anyone over 28 playing for a bottom 10 side, but this is different - he's the fifth-oldest player in the league, and may very well be the oldest by next year if he goes around again.

At what point is it worth tapping him and saying 'we think it's time'?
Whilst I do agree to an extent, I'm a firm believer (trying my hardest not to have massive bias but that's pretty hard) that if he wants to go around again next year, and his body can take another year of football then as long as he's still a solid contributor to the team then he should absolutely play into 2018.

Very hard to see him playing after 2018, but the longer he is around the better (depending on how you look at it) things will be for McCartin who's still learning his craft, Bruce and Membrey, not to mention Battle who was rated by many as the best KPF of last years draft. He's in Year 12 this year though, which is his priority so I wouldn't expect a debut this year.

He's an amazing leader, one of the best players of the last 25 years and will be considered (if he isn't already) as one of the best players in the history of the St. Kilda Football Club. Has got plenty of runs on the board and the decision should be left to him if he wants to go around the block one last time.

Thought it was all over after he injured his knee in Round 1, very lucky he's still playing. Regardless, it's going to be an incredibly sad day when he finally announces he's hanging up the boots, and a day I've been dreading for the last 2-3 years.

See, I still think the Saints are a side in transition
Yeah I think so too.

Riewoldt and Montagna are the two oldest players there but you could argue that they should retire as they are holding up spots that could be given to the the younger players for their development. But then the argument you could make in the case the Saints retire these two is that it leads a big vacant leadership vacuum that needs to be made up for the retirement of these two experienced legends of the club. I think out of these two players Riewoldt is the more important one to the Saints atm.

Bruce and Membrey have struggled to replicate their best years in 2015 and 2016 respectively and McCartin is showing signs but is still inexperienced and having an experienced player in Riewoldt there seems to straighten them up a bit providing a target up the field or deep in the forward line. Also having him providing guidance to these 3 players is quite valuable as well as they will be apart of St Kilda's future forward line. When Riewoldt retires, Battle would probably be the one who comes in on a more permanent basis I would think.

Montagna has been good this year but it could soon be time for the likes of Bailey Rice, Brandon White and Daniel McKenzie for example to develop at the AFL level and get more game time. I'm thinking Montagna might be the one leaving those players out of the side. I think Montagna's output is more replaceable than Riewoldt's is and perhaps one of these three defenders I've named could take Montagna's position or maybe someone different but the point is that it's pivotal that the development of St Kilda's younger players is the priority.

If Riewoldt's form indicated he could go on for another year, then I'd let him play on in 2018 and retire Montagna as I think there are a few HBs at St Kilda developing in the VFL and waiting in the wings for their consistent opportunity at AFL level. I think Bruce, Membrey and McCartin could benefit from another year with Riewoldt in the side to give them guidance and on-field support as it may help them develop more as footballers with the support of an experienced target. Someone like McCartin I reckon could benefit from this especially as he is still in the early stages of his career.

Saints supporters deserve to bask in this thread.
Honestly people who make threads like this on coaches half way through a season are just clueless on sport.

To be honest there is a lot of truth in this thread and beating 4 very ordinary teams does not hide the fact that we still lack X factor. I think after this year's draft season we will be a vastly improved team.

To be honest there is a lot of truth in this thread and beating 4 very ordinary teams does not hide the fact that we still lack X factor. I think after this year's draft season we will be a vastly improved team.
Even though it was Tigers we just played a top 4 side and won by 11 goals after hitting half time 92-10. Enjoy the win what X factor do you want exactly?

I feel the Saints will run over anyone who doesnt put work into the gameplan. The worrying part is that if/when teams put work into restricting the rebound the saints almost don;t know what to do, the gameplan turns to "Just funnel it to Ross and let him bail us out!"

We saw tonight Richmond clearly didnt pay the rebounding saints game any respect, and they just slaughtered them, The saints stopped themselves from leading by 100 at half time.

The premise of the thread was that Richo deserves to be under pressure, not that you could use more superstars (who couldn't)

It's like when supporters bang on about needing more outside pace and class then name Josh Kelly. Who the * wouldn't look better with Kelly?
There's a handful of legitimate gun outside wingers.

Saints list build is going fine just. They are being talked up as premiership chances 2 weeks after we were and a week after the Tigers were. Any coach who gets their side to better than a 50/50 record this year is doing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom line is after 4 years under a coach i think you'd like to see more improvement from the Saints.
More improvement?

2014 - 4/18
2015 - 6/15 and 1 draw
2016 - 12/10
2017 - 9/6

The guy inherited the worst list in the comp in 2014, he wasn't going to take us straight to finals.

Even though it was Tigers we just played a top 4 side and won by 11 goals after hitting half time 92-10. Enjoy the win what X factor do you want exactly?

Do you think Tigers are a strong top 4 side. They've beaten the Eagles and Demons.

In my opinion we are not a flag contender this year. We could be next year if we get the trade period right.

Melbourne, Richmond, now St Kilda are all premiership contenders apparently. Who will it be next week? Essendon? Hawthorn?

Saints, like Melbourne, tracking in the right direction. Both significant improves this year. Only one team will play finals this year however.

Good point about the 3 premiership contenders. They surely deserve it, because unlike Adelaide, GWS and Geelong, they've all beaten teams above them on the ladder.

Big Footy Science in action :)

Do you think Tigers are a strong top 4 side. They've beaten the Eagles and Demons.

In my opinion we are not a flag contender this year. We could be next year if we get the trade period right.

This has hit it. Would love us to be contenders this year but that is not reality.

Being a Saints supporter is full of intrigue, the improvement is obvious over the last couple of years and annoys the hell out of some posters who want to lay the boots in without any substance.

There is no denying there are concerns over our midfield and need for some more class in there. The game plan deserves scrutiny nothing wrong with that - but gotta be honest enjoying watching them now a lot more than back in the period when the current Freeo coach had the gig.

The trade / draft period this year is very very important for the continued improvement.

More improvement?

2014 - 4/18
2015 - 6/15 and 1 draw
2016 - 12/10
2017 - 9/6

The guy inherited the worst list in the comp in 2014, he wasn't going to take us straight to finals.
Richo's achieved those results whilst at the same time turning over 2/3 of the list.
Riewoldt, Montagna, Steven, Ross, Geary, Newnes, Roberton, Webster, Gilbert, Armitage, Hickey, Pierce are the only ones that remain. Some good ones in there, but hardly AFL superstars.

No doubts about his ability to develop, question marks over his ability as a tactician however - think we'll learn a lot more about that in the run home. But you can't be unhappy with what he's built in 4 seasons given the trash he started with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back