Analysis How soon do you know a player is good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes it's obvious early, other times you have to wait. As for Milera, I still think the jury is very much out on him at the moment.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't starting to become slightly concerned about his development as a player. To me he is looking more like he's going to be the next Danyle Pearce rather than the next Andrew McLeod.
Milera's not the only one with question marks hanging over his head - Cameron and Atkins do as well. All three are capable of very good football, but are they capable of taking the next step?

Milera's not the only one with question marks hanging over his head - Cameron and Atkins do as well. All three are capable of very good football, but are they capable of taking the next step?
Well that's it. Deciding wether it's the ceiling or not. They've got to be personally driven and not persuaded.. some are easy to coach some are not so they say.

Lol I thought anyone who saw Bock play early on thought he was ordinary!!
You see, that's funny, I really liked him and I thought he looked like he belonged out there. (And there's probably a dusty old post somewhere to prove it!)

Not saying that makes me a good judge, just that people see/notice different things.

Nah... He wasn't good enough to demand a position as an inside midfielder, and too slow to play as an outside midfielder. There just wasn't a position for him in the team, and VB/Mackay had nothing to do with it.
Footskills more than make up for pace and he was never going to be an inside mid anyway . Look at how Hawthorn utilize players who can actually hit a target . Out side players that have all the pace in the world that burn the ball are way less efficient than those who make smart decisions and can hit targets . Never rated your opinion anyway Vader .

Richmond's player development has much to answer for.
Yet we pay him 1.125m plus incentives over the course of 3 years ... How much does that work out per game .
We pay 1.6m over 4 years of below average s**t from Mookay . Bad Contract which then somehow makes us feel the need to extract value from it .
The Crows continually overdo the length and value of contracts , did we need to give Luke Brown and Hartigan 3 year extensions this season . NO

Last edited:
Footskills more than make up for pace and he was never going to be an inside mid anyway . Look at how Hawthorn utilize players who can actually hit a target . Out side players that have all the pace in the world that burn the ball are way less efficient than those who make smart decisions and can hit targets . Never rated your opinion anyway Vader .
Let's not kid ourselves. Foot skills were the only thing Grigg had going for him, and even then he rarely produced them at the highest level. Grigg's talents were always best suited to the SANFL, and it was no surprise whatsoever that he attracted no interest when Adelaide delisted him.

Let's not kid ourselves. Foot skills were the only thing Grigg had going for him, and even then he rarely produced them at the highest level. Grigg's talents were always best suited to the SANFL, and it was no surprise whatsoever that he attracted no interest when Adelaide delisted him.
Did the club show belief in him to give him a clear run with a dozen games for him to find the groove ... no they didn't .
Not saying he was a lock to have a 200 game career but he was miss handled badly .

Did the club show belief in him to give him a clear run with a dozen games for him to find the groove ... no they didn't .
Not saying he was a lock to have a 200 game career but he was miss handled badly .

because Grigg was not given the extra 10-20 games you thought he deserved he was miss handled badly.

Last edited:
Take McLeod for example. He was ok to good in his first 10 games.
There was 1 special moment though. Cold wet night, playing HFF? Snaps a goal that curled through to win a game?. LFF about 40M out @ footy park.
I reckon he had curly hair?
He was only part time midfield in 97. Blight throws him in the guts in the 97GF. Surprising move and the rest is history.
Facts may be off as its off the top of my head.
I'm sure someone knows where to find the footage of that goal though.
McLeod won a game off his own boot at the death of a game with a moment of absolute individual brilliance, in his second game.

He started 5m behind, but chased down and beat a player too a ball, took control of the ball in wet conditions, turn the player inside out, break the tackle, then kicks the goal straight through from the tightest of angles.

Don't think it's the same instance you've described as it certainly wasn't a snap from 40m out. However, when I witnessed that moment, I knew this wasn't any ordinary man.

Can watch it here

CC is worrying for me. Maybe we can get something good for him this trade period, offer him up in a Gibbs or Zorko trade. Don't think he has the brain to match his talents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McLeod won a game off his own boot at the death of a game with a moment of absolute individual brilliance, in his second game.

He started 5m behind, but chased down and beat a player too a ball, took control of the ball in wet conditions, turn the player inside out, break the tackle, then kicks the goal straight through from the tightest of angles.

Don't think it's the same instance you've described as it certainly wasn't a snap from 40m out. However, when I witnessed that moment, I knew this wasn't any ordinary man.

Can watch it here

Having played many games against Roo in my high school years we ALL knew he was going to be a champion of the game. I recall on Waikerie oval on a wet day/heavy ball he kicked a left foot goal from about 45 out on the run, the guy was a man at 15!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CC is worrying for me. Maybe we can get something good for him this trade period, offer him up in a Gibbs or Zorko trade. Don't think he has the brain to match his talents.

I wouldn't be judging CC on recent form, as he clearly has an issue at the moment.

You see, that's funny, I really liked him and I thought he looked like he belonged out there. (And there's probably a dusty old post somewhere to prove it!)

Not saying that makes me a good judge, just that people see/notice different things.
No. You're a good judge mate.

For me it is about awareness and how they move across the ground. Even before an AFL game some guys stand out for the good or bad.

If I watch a guy live (Hard to gauge in TV) and it looks like he can read the play move in the team pattern and has confidence to not just "get and give" and move the ball with with purpose (ie not panic)I think he will make it at AFL level in some capacity.

If he can't do this early he won't make it IMO.

I called John Butcher at Port early. Many in the Bay would remeber this. As a Port Magpies supporter saw his early games and he looked to be incredibly athletic, but looked lost reading the play and panicked when he got the ball. Plus that kicking action.

I feel the same as Wigg. His running patterns and reading of play is to fine. But think he lacks the composure a guy who has the amount if time in an AFL system should have.

I was stoked when we got Milera. Could see with Centrals playing SANFL Finals he had composure and understand his he works in a team.

Atkins is another I saw early and though he would make it for the reasons I stated above.

Feel the same about Poholke moreso than Gallucci.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You're putting the cart before the horse.

Grigg didn't get the "clear run with a dozen games" because he wasn't good enough for them to justify selecting him in 12 consecutive games. It's not a case of them not giving him a chance, he wasn't good enough to earn that chance.

I wouldn't be judging CC on recent form, as he clearly has an issue at the moment.
CC was well below his usual standard on Friday night, I accept that.

The problem is that he really hasn't stepped things up at all. He's now 62 games into his career, statistically this is the best season of his career, and he's still only averaging 14.2 disposals per game. Cyril Rioli can get away with 14 disposals per game, Charlie Cameron cannot.

This was the year he was expected to step things up. He was supposed to move to the midfield, and go from being a 13 disposal per game player to a 20 per game player. In 62 games, he's only ever had one solitary 20+ disposal game - 23 disposals in R1 2017, vs GWS. This was supposed to be the year when Cameron gained some consistency, playing four quarters on a regular basis. He's still a cameo player, who burns brightly for one quarter per game (maybe two quarters if he's having a good game), but goes AWOL for the rest of the time. His highlights reels continue to look really good, but those highlights reels contain almost every single possession he has - he's all flash, but no substance. 62 games in, and we're still seeing the same lack of composure once he lights the afterburners.

I've been shot down several times for making the comparison with Jared Petrenko, another player who just didn't get enough of the ball - and left brown stains in his shorts every time he was kicking for goal. Cameron has more weapons at his disposal than Petrenko ever did, but statistically there's not that much between them.

Cameron has the weapons, but can he achieve the consistency and composure he needs to take his game to the next level? Those are the questions which remain unanswered, well beyond the 50-game benchmark which Phil Walsh used to talk about.

Take McLeod for example. He was ok to good in his first 10 games.
There was 1 special moment though. Cold wet night, playing HFF? Snaps a goal that curled through to win a game?. LFF about 40M out @ footy park.
I reckon he had curly hair?
He was only part time midfield in 97. Blight throws him in the guts in the 97GF. Surprising move and the rest is history.
Facts may be off as its off the top of my head.
I'm sure someone knows where to find the footage of that goal though.

Can watch it here

It was 22 years ago! I was purely going off memory of the moment.

I know Milera is only 22 games into his career and 19/20 but can you honestly see him being an absolute Agrader gun?

I know Milera is only 22 games into his career and 19/20 but can you honestly see him being an absolute Agrader gun?
Even Macca was up and down for his first season or 2. Showed a lot, faded out of games, wasn't sure what would happen with him.

I don't know if Milera will go in that direction, but noone can tell at this point. He's also a kid - when he gets the steely eye resolve, then we'll see.

I'm prepared to hold off on making the call. His foot skills are very nice and he does have pace as well, so that's 2 very good starting points.

Player being good - You're looking for tools that translate to AFL well. Sometimes all you need is a highlight video (though they are misleading), others a couple of games to really pick out a weapon/s that will mean he'll end up being a solid pick.

Players being bad/not making it. This is more subjective, sometimes it can take a couple of games (I've never been that hot on wigg's prospects) to 3-4 years which is someone just not stepping up.

Very easily (he's the one I'm most confident on that is currently on our list)

Milera possess very good skills, vision, composure and pace which is all the boxes an outside midfielder needs to tick to be an absolute gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back