Autopsy Dogs 82 beat Carlton 62. The Lewis Young Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else a little frustrated with Bont rucking? I know not many other options but I cringe every time he goes up!

He's actually an amazing ruckman for a 194cm bloke but it's like hanging the Mona Lisa in the dunnies of the Yarck Hotel, then eating a delicious 7 course degustation meal prepared by a top chef in the Yarck Hotel

I actually like the Yarck Hotel but you get the meaning

I'm not as down on Redpath as many are here. He did nothing today, but he got absolutely zero opportunity. I don't think he muffed one realistically gettable mark.

I was pleased to see Libba getting a little more of it. He might be on the road back.... maybe?

JJ is an extra step or two closer again to form. Thank God.

McLean was really impressive.

I desperately want to see the back of Honey but until we hit some consistent defensive form he kind of needs to be there. There were several times he saved our behinds today with some much needed defensive pressure.

I thought Rough was pretty good around the grounds. I wasn't paying much attention to the ruck.

I'm just so so pleased that Lewis Young debuted today to save us poor interstate viewers from having to listen to 2 hours of "The Dogs would be wanting Liam Jones right now" comments, that the commentators were so clearly primed to make.

Macrae like usual amazing
been impressed with Cordy been one of our better defenders
Young we got one here guys looking the goods surely the rising star nod for the week

also my boy Bailey Dale amazing game his just getting better and better quickly becoming my fave player loved his year

Where's the scrutiny that watts or tom Boyd got as a #1 pick though?
Some of the other posts I made about this mentioned Boyd and Watts: i.e. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that these guys are scrutinised so harshly, but that doesn't set a precedent for people to do the same about Weitering. Give him time to develop, he will be very, very good.

I just got back home. That has to be the coldest I've been since I shoveled snow back in Chicagoland in March. Talk about a windy city...

My first and foremost question: What the heck is that Bongo Cam? What next, Kiss Cam and a halftime race featuring people dressed as a meat pie, sausage roll, hot dog and Chiko Roll?

What a difference today was. This seemed more like the never-say-die team of last year. I must applaud Caleb Daniel. His spoil near the Carlton goals against three humongous opponents was awe inspiring. And even though Youngie made a few errors, he was calm and deliberate in most of what he did. Yuge future, I'm sure. The endeavour was certainly there today. Bont and Toby and Jack also caught my eye. After seeing what I did today, I'm not as pessimistic as I became the past month or so.

I didn't make it up to last year's GF seat on Level 4, though I did walk around the perimeter of the ground before the match thinking back on the wonderful day I had a little over nine months ago. I'm now using a cane to get around, so I'm not as nimble as last year when I was just a youngster. However, it was a walk that I really enjoyed.

I texted my brother back in Illinois during the match telling him that I was freezing in the wind and a temp of about 50F in the middle of winter. I will not repeat what he texted back.:catface:
The Pies have kiss cam at their home games, it *ing sucks and is awkward to watch.

No way, we can lose one more. Don't need to win 14 to make it, 13 will be sufficient.

The other teams will have a slump (look at he inconsistencies of their other results)

My biggest hope for the season is that we can at least get a win clear of the Saints and make them miss the 8. They have a lot harder draw than us for the rest of the year so it's doable.

That's ok, each to their own opinion.

Just a quick question though. If Roughead conceded that he was never going to beat a guy that is exactly the same size and weight as he is in the taps, doesn't that sort of prove my point? Why concede that defeat to a similarly built guy? They're both 200cm and 100kgs. If roughead is letting Kreuzer get 25 clearances then he's having an even shitter day than his poor day today. The team winning the clearance battle does not automatically mean "big tick jordan roughead".

Attributing a ruckman losing clearances to his opponent being a positive because the oppo end up not having the footskills to keep it in bounds is tenuous at best aswell.

I personally don't believe that Roughead was running in at the throw-ins and continually watching the ball fall short to his opponent in front of him by design. If he was then why even bother running with his guy and getting his arms up in the first place? He may as well have saved his energy.
Because in determining whether or not a player has a good game, I ask myself "is what he did, working with his teammates and in relation to our and the opposition's tactics, ultimately give us a greater chance of winning, by playing the role asked of him effectively", and I think Roughy did that. If the brains trust of the club thought it was effective to play in such a way to let Kreuzer have 25 clearances, if the impact of a game as a whole, was that we won the overall clearance battle, then it's a job well done.

We were happy to let Kreuzer have 50 hitouts, because we still won the clearance battle overall. Roughy could still compete with Kreuzer but is fundamentally a weaker and lower quality tap ruckman, so he likely would have been beaten anyway. So he played in such a way that meant that Kreuzer still won plenty of taps, but gave us a better chance of winning, in part by winning more clearances and limiting the quality of Carlton's clearances (and minimising Krezuer's around the ground impact to the lowest level in several months).

Modern footy's not a game of one-on-one battles, and hasn't been since the early 90's. There's more to winning games than having your man beat his direct opponent and hope that you can do that for as many of the 18 one-on-one battles around the ground. It might have won us a flag in '54 with Wally Donald and Herb Henderson leading us but that's not how modern footy is played.

Seeing a lot of stuff here about Macrae, his consistency and likelihood he'll take out our BnF (it would be a daylight robbery if he doesn't) and I come back to a Scott Spits piece in The Age about each team's likely Brownlow votegetters, where, for the Dogs, he raves about Bontempelli, Dahlhaus and even gives Johannisen a mention, yet nothing on Macrae. I suppose there's a beauty in how he so massively flies under the radar that I can't seem to appreciate.

I also thought Roughead played his best game of the season so far. Seemed to be taking more contested marks than he had previously (which is 99% of what I rate his game on)

We really missed his marking around the ground when he was being played at FB.

He's actually one of the best ruckmen in the league in the air, but he gets slaughtered in the actual ruck far too much.

I thought that this game was more similar to the style that we were winning games last year, than any other game that we've played this year.

Not saying for a second that Carlton are a particularly strong offensive fire powering or strong ball movement team, that being said, but we were suffocating the Blues' ball movement like how we were winning games last year.

Everyone's saying "well Carlton made heaps of mistakes etc.", which is true, but why were they making more mistakes than usual? Because we were pressing up the ground, applying pressure (which in turn leads to perceived pressure), and risking some over-the-top goals in order to force turnovers as close to our own goals as possible, understanding that territory is more important relative to possession for a team like ours, that isn't a particularly skilled ball movement team.

Sure, we didn't kick a huge score, but firstly remember our best forward went off injured early (and played a great 1st quarter), but also remember, that's the trade-off with the types of players we pick.

Our forward line has a lot of resting midfield-turned-more-permanent forward types - Honeychurch, Wallis, Picken and Dahlhaus, Bontempelli, Libba etc. when they rest forward, are all more "natural" midfielders than they are forward. This means that we have to play to their strengths - winning contested and ground balls, and applying forward pressure, and try to minimise the weaknesses of these players, which is overhead marking and raw strength. How do we best go about this? We actually press high up the ground, to force turnovers, or to force the ball to ground in our attacking half, that our superior ball-winning ability overcomes theirs, and then we kick (some) goals, whilst forcing the opposition ball movement to turn to absolute s**t. It forces mistakes that are frustrating for the fans of the other team, but are happening, in part, because of the systematic structure and pressure that our tactics force upon the other team.

In other words, as our strength lies in ball-winning over our opponent, as opposed to ball-using over our opponent, by pressing up the ground, we make the key determinant of the game a battle of each team's ball-winning, as opposed to each team's ball-using.

The funny thing is, I could have types this about almost all of our wins last year. Bevo has tried to be clever for his own good, trying to be "ahead of the game" fearing that other teams would work out this system, so we moved away from it even before it was necessary. Go back to what works. We play this style for the rest of the season and I'm backing us in to play finals.
Agree with the top part particularly but I wonder if that has anything to do with playing at the G. We are unbeaten at the G in the past two years, suits our style and to see us play more to our potential could be because of that. If we back it up next week, then i'll concede we might be on the right track though.

DE13jfXVwAA1_sJ.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Carlton do the Richmond thing where they film people not paying attention and see how long it takes for them to notice? - yeah sometimes I just wanna check scores at breaks is that too much to ask?!
One team does, I remember it but can't remember who. The halftime gimmicks are bloody annoying, I use it to either hit up the social club for a quick bevvy or go drain the dragon then load up on tucker. Rarely am I seated for more than a few minutes during the halftime break anyway.

Thought Roughie was great, was a threat around the ground and while Kreuzer got numbers he wasn't all that influential.

Young, bloody hell. Read the ball in flight like a veteran of 100 games, wasn't panicked under their forward pressure, clean pair of hands, neat kick. What a prospect.

We need to sign Bailey Dale up asap, can't afford to lose his touch on the wing.

Honeychurch's current stint in the side has sucked for the most part but I thought he hustled well today. Just can't cop his finishing, it poisons the whole side's disposition when easy chances are pissed away like that.

Redpath is a lovely bloke and his career is already an enormous success for how far he has come but I can't see how he's of more value to the side than Cloke in any facet of the game. Godspeed Trav (and Boydy).

There's some real potential in Carlton. Managing expectations well, master tactician in the box, players buying into the grind and talent galore. Lots of garbage to clean out, they'll need to adapt and I'm not having a bar of SOS as a list manager but they've good cause to be optimistic.

Stringer and Cloke for Wood and Redpath my changes. Dig deep, still plenty on the line.

Was reading the game day thread for sh*ts and giggles. Some of you guys seriously need to HAGHLAY. Same guys every week ripping into our players and coaches. (2minutes into the game it's already tragic) Real heroes. Then waltz in here after a win and wax lyrical on the victory. I'm dead set sure many of them never go to a game, ( cos I sure can't be f****d typing when watching) yet all are experts.
I missed the first three quarters, so after watching the last quarter live, I read through the game thread to get a feel for the way the game panned out. It's a bit weird being a meta-watcher of a game, i.e. watching it through the words of BF posts.

Strongly recommend pages 2-6 (=first 15 mins of the game) for a hoot. Game started at 3:20pm. First prediction of 10 goal loss at 3:23pm (another one at 3:31). First call of "game over" at 3:31.
So 10/10 for passion and engagement. 1/10 for perspective. But hey, that's what watching footy's all about. Game Day Syndrome at its best. (Candid confession: have been known to suffer bouts of it myself).

On a slightly more serious note I hope Honey doesn't read some of the the stuff that's written about him here. I'm not trying be precious about criticisms - many of them are fine and probably even justified, but some of the stuff I read is just unwarranted personal abuse IMO. If one day it turns out he needs time off for depression and anxiety and the same people start posting things like "get well little fella" I reckon I'll spew up. It's the BF equivalent of "supporters" leaning over the race abusing players as they leave the ground. Can't we just leave that to the Tigers' mob?

Was waiting for the weekly stoush of Hard Ball Get v The Rest re umpiring. It duly arrived a couple of pages later. Needed another packet of popcorn.
Keep fighting the good fight HBG! ... although the standard of umpiring IS a serious concern.

One team does, I remember it but can't remember who. The halftime gimmicks are bloody annoying, I use it to either hit up the social club for a quick bevvy or go drain the dragon then load up on tucker. Rarely am I seated for more than a few minutes during the halftime break anyway.

Definitely Richmond then, was there when they got beat by Swans.

I appreciate fan engagement and filling dead time but that definitely felt forced. It's not overpowering at Etihad.

Thought Roughie was great, was a threat around the ground and while Kreuzer got numbers he wasn't all that influential.
As I said elsewhere I didn't mind Roughy's last quarter. The less Bont has to ruck the better.

On a slightly more serious note I hope Honey doesn't read some of the the stuff that's written about him here. I'm not trying be precious about criticisms - many of them are fine and probably even justified, but some of the stuff I read is just unwarranted personal abuse IMO. If one day it turns out he needs time off for depression and anxiety and the same people start posting things like "get well little fella" I reckon I'll spew up. It's the BF equivalent of "supporters" leaning over the race abusing players as they leave the ground. Can't we just leave that to the Tigers' mob?
Personally I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't say to the person's face. That includes my view on umpiring decisions. But criticism of players can so easily turn into abuse and that crosses the line for me.

How good would it be to make your AFL debut at the hallowed MCG aged 18 years and not quite 7 months and take a speccy like that in front of 35k people? Then see the photos of it in all the dailies.

It's great feel-good Boy's Own Annual stuff. No wonder he rated it the best day of his life.

Instant hot property.

Shane Biggs has put together a bloody good month of footy. Hopefully we can get him, JJ, Wood, Bob all firing off half back. Plus Boydy and Williams.

About time someone said this.. I've been reading this S*** for the last month and it's no wonder he has no social media (Facebook, Instagram).

I think it is pretty clear he is playing injured, he was great the first couple of months of season. He has lost zip since and is not covering as much ground, i would bet that at end of season he is having groin or knee surgery.
To be fair, his kicking has been ordinary from day one and ain't gonna improve. Problem is, a lot of our small mids have the same problem which is a real worry for our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back