Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia

Remove this Banner Ad

But your basing your argument on 3/4 of a season on a player not having a preseason and only being able to train twice a week for the last month.

You tell me which one of us is reaching in our arguments? You're basing your argument on a very small sample size.
This is not a "suck and see", nor is it an argument...its simple bang for buck. The FD traded our #6 2016 draft pick (with all the upside & downside that comes with it) to the Suns and got a player back (who has been very much in the system) that it negotiated to pay $4m over 5 years. This is all about expectations...I have adjusted for his year 1 output...l very much want his years 2-5 to deliver significantly more.

This is not a "suck and see", nor is it an argument...its simple bang for buck. The FD traded our #6 2016 draft pick (with all the upside & downside that comes with it) to the Suns and got a player back (who has been very much in the system) that it negotiated to pay $4m over 5 years. This is all about expectations...I have adjusted for his year 1 output...l very much want his years 2-5 to deliver significantly more.

Pick 6 from this years draft would have more impact this year than Prestia? How's he going? Bang for buck? Were trying to win a flag now not build for the future. Maybe you missed that memo?

Pick 6 from this years draft would have more impact this year than Prestia? How's he going? Bang for buck? Were trying to win a flag now not build for the future. Maybe you missed that memo?
Lol we are indeed...seems the FD that selected Conca over Heppel and Lennon over Cripps and Yarran from the Blue Magoos missed that earlier memo as well huh? Bringing in injured footballers. And so lets run this fellow into fitness huh for our tilt? Lol seen our last 6 matches...I got my fingers crossed we actually make it to the finals.

I want him to come good...never said I didn't. Our expectations seem to differ. Yes I want to win it now...and in 10 years time as well. You saying this is our year, nothing exists beyond 2017? We packing up shop after this year?

Lol we are indeed...seems the FD that selected Conca over Heppel and Lennon over Cripps and Yarran from the Blue Magoos missed that earlier memo as well huh? Bringing in injured footballers. And so lets run this fellow into fitness huh for our tilt? Lol seen our last 6 matches...I got my fingers crossed we actually make it to the finals.

I want him to come good...never said I didn't. Our expectations seem to differ. Yes I want to win it now...and in 10 years time as well. You saying this is our year, nothing exists beyond 2017? We packing up shop after this year?

Where did I say it was our year? This is the clubs decision, not mine. They think they can win it by topping up with players like Prestia and Caddy. When you have Jack, Rance, Cotch and Martin in their age profiles what other course do you take?

I think a healthy dose of common sense and reality wouldn't be unhelpful

Just catching up with this. Been climbing a few Scottish hills.

I attended dinner in December last year with the Coaching group (only one not present was Truck). I did post at that time that Dustin and Trent would spend more time forward, which has been facilitated in part due to the introduction of Caddy and Prestia.

Less pressure on the heavy lifting of the past for those two. Also Trent often has a structural role re forward 50 pressure which I will not go into. Would not have happened in the past I believe.

Haere Ra
The time Cotchin and Martin spent in the midfield could have been reduced even more if a few things hadn't of occurred.
Vlaustin , Conca, Graham (inj), Miles at VFL and Caddy( no form) .

No doubt we were bent over in the Prestia trade. I reckon there was a degree of panic in signing him. In previous trade periods we'd missed out on Treloar, Shield had re-singed during the season so we needed to land somebody and payed overs for a solid but not A grade talent.
It's not only the effect of losing an early pick that hurts but having 750k a year in the salary cap tied up over the next 5 years. It greatly reduces our chances of making a play for an A grade talent when it does become available.

No doubt we were bent over in the Prestia trade. I reckon there was a degree of panic in signing him. In previous trade periods we'd missed out on Treloar, Shield had re-singed during the season so we needed to land somebody and payed overs for a solid but not A grade talent.
It's not only the effect of losing an early pick that hurts but having 750k a year in the salary cap tied up over the next 5 years. It greatly reduces our chances of making a play for an A grade talent when it does become available.

We had to do the deal.

We are going well.

Stop crying.

He's on the list now. It's done

What ifs are redundant as a topical discussion. Recruiters will learn from this whether it's positive or negative.

No point rinsing negative s**t, everyone may as well get behind him as a Richmond supporter.
This thread relates to Prestia and when he doesn't perform then it's fair enough that people debate what was given up to obtain him.
It works both ways though, I praise the club for landing Nankervis and recognising him as a talent that fitted our needs.

This thread relates to Prestia and when he doesn't perform then it's fair enough that people debate what was given up to obtain him.
Why? Everybody knows how we obtained him, it's not going to change his output or suddenly bring Sam Powell-Pepper to the club.

You can learn from past choices, but there is no point dwelling on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...people saying we paid too much not even one year into a five year deal. My goodness. You lot are just something else lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just miserable people who have nothing better to do than pot the club

The AFL has new data available to pundits on the afl app.

Prestia ran 15.3 kilometres against Brisbane.

Scully runs about 16 each week and is considered the best two way runner.

Given that he hasn't had a preseason he clearly a very good runner coming into fitness.

By the way Brandon is the best runner, followed by Lambert most weeks.

It works both ways though, I praise the club for landing Nankervis and recognising him as a talent that fitted our needs.

Much of what you say is true but criticising the price paid for a player is criticising the club. It is not helpful and measures the club unfairly and out of context.

Perfection in list management is the aim but cannot be the expectation.
If you accept that club decisions won't all be perfect it helps because then your expectations are realistic.

For the first time in a very long time, we have genuine hope for the future
Get over whatever price was paid for Prestia and look at the big picture.

It's an exciting time to be a supporter of the Richmond football club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gday Mug. Hmmm reads like a backhander, feels like a backhander...lol so I'll bite...how would you recommend I write posts? Is there a format you prefer I use? And your opinion on any RFC issue matters what exactly?

He's not having a go at you Tiger7374 . He's just having a subtle contretemps with me. We go way back.

Not you.

Haere Ra

Much of what you say is true but criticising the price paid for a player is criticising the club. It is not helpful and measures the club unfairly and out of context.

Perfection in list management is the aim but cannot be the expectation.
If you accept that club decisions won't all be perfect it helps because then your expectations are realistic.

For the first time in a very long time, we have genuine hope for the future
Get over whatever price was paid for Prestia and look at the big picture.

It's an exciting time to be a supporter of the Richmond football club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No doubt the issue is with the club. Not Prestias fault that he's on 750k over 5 years.
Really don't get some posters taking exception to the crtiticism though and getting the sads. Members, Supporters have every right to question the clubs decisions relating to recruitment. Just focusing on recent decisions Yarran was a massive error in judgment and the Prestia trade will come back to bite us on the bum.
Don't place you in this category mate, your post is a good one, but I have a bit of a laugh at some of these muppets that jump up and down and are horrified that any one dare question the clubs decision making.

...people saying we paid too much not even one year into a five year deal. My goodness. You lot are just something else lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Compare the seasons to date and roles they have played , of Prestia and Jack Steele who cost a future 2nd round pick .

The club did pay to much .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back