Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XII - The Twelfth One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People raising money or selling newspaper or Foxtel subscriptions in shopping centres or in the street, who compliment you on your hair or clothes as you're going past.

I know they're just trying to get your attention and get you talking, but if I'm not interested to begin with, I'm not going to suddenly change my tune because of some cheap flattery expressed in a vaguely condescending tone.

No sale, keep walking.

People raising money or selling newspaper or Foxtel subscriptions in shopping centres or in the street, who compliment you on your hair or clothes as you're going past.

I know they're just trying to get your attention and get you talking, but if I'm not interested to begin with, I'm not going to suddenly change my tune because of some cheap flattery expressed in a vaguely condescending tone.

No sale, keep walking.
Nice post

The rest can get stuffed, but The Big Issue is a big part of trying to help the homeless earn some money.

Last edited:
The rest can get stuffed, but The Big Issue is a big part of trying to help the homeless earn some money.

Big Issue sellers aren't who I'm referring to, nor am I referring to those raising money for genuine charitable causes for the homeless, disabled, etc. They usually just let people come to them, and aren't often pushing their cause onto you. I'm talking about people trying to 'Save the Rainforest', or sell subscriptions to The Advertiser, or Foxtel, or some other such stuff which would often be pushed onto people through outbound telemarketing or door-knocking.

I get that they're just doing their job, and that these jobs are often shitty, mind-numbing commission-based roles, but it's annoying how they make a big show of saying hello or complimenting you or even stepping in your path as you're trying to go past, so that you feel guilty and look like a jerk if you tell them you're not interested or just keep walking.

It's especially annoying when they position themselves right near the entrance of a shopping centre, so that if you turn them down, it's doubly awkward when you walk back past them on the way out, and get a smarmy "seeya mate" the second time round.

I guess it seems like a bit of an odd minor annoyance, but you're just out on your lunch break from work or something like that, and you haven't got time to waste chatting to someone for 10 minutes about s**t you're not interested in, then you don't want to feel like you're being hassled when you're just trying to go about your business.

A mate is very good at picking locks. It comes in hand. Won't let me borrow his practise lock and tools to teach myself though.

Sent from mTalk

Big Issue sellers aren't who I'm referring to, nor am I referring to those raising money for genuine charitable causes for the homeless, disabled, etc. They usually just let people come to them, and aren't often pushing their cause onto you. I'm talking about people trying to 'Save the Rainforest', or sell subscriptions to The Advertiser, or Foxtel, or some other such stuff which would often be pushed onto people through outbound telemarketing or door-knocking.

I get that they're just doing their job, and that these jobs are often shitty, mind-numbing commission-based roles, but it's annoying how they make a big show of saying hello or complimenting you or even stepping in your path as you're trying to go past, so that you feel guilty and look like a jerk if you tell them you're not interested or just keep walking.

It's especially annoying when they position themselves right near the entrance of a shopping centre, so that if you turn them down, it's doubly awkward when you walk back past them on the way out, and get a smarmy "seeya mate" the second time round.

I guess it seems like a bit of an odd minor annoyance, but you're just out on your lunch break from work or something like that, and you haven't got time to waste chatting to someone for 10 minutes about s**t you're not interested in, then you don't want to feel like you're being hassled when you're just trying to go about your business.
I understand what you mean, it's just the way that it was said in your first post. Left to much ambiguity

I was at work, and still got blamed for it.

Mebby did say sorry when I got home from work..

I irrationally blame my partner for everything. Multiply this tenfold when pregnant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have experienced this a number of times now.

:p:p
I can't even begin to tell you the names I called my other half during labour and went in to great detail as to what I was going to do to him and how it was all his fault

Speaking of Bunnings, the greeters at the entrance s**t me. It's such bullshit. :D It's insincere, and obvious that most of them don't like doing it.
I gather it's mostly a security thing: they're checking out dodgy pricks entering who might be potential thieves; letting them know that they've been spotted and sussed out.

The worst part is that the rest of the store -- at least the ones I go to -- is usually way understaffed, so the greeter would be better served helping customers in the aisles, rather than standing around like a plonker

That's a solid rant by me :p

They get a lot of bad reviews
https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bunnings-warehouse.html

Last edited:
It's insincere, and obvious that most of them don't like doing it.

Same with flight attendants when you're getting off the plane and they're saying goodbye and thanks.

Same with flight attendants when you're getting off the plane and they're saying goodbye and thanks.

No that's genuine - they're relieved to see the back of you. It's when you're boarding that it's forced

The flight attendants on JAL were so sweet. Constantly smiling and bowing. I wonder how often they were thinking "* you you prick".

Speaking of Bunnings, the greeters at the entrance s**t me. It's such bullshit. :D It's insincere, and obvious that most of them don't like doing it.
I gather it's mostly a security thing: they're checking out dodgy pricks entering who might be potential thieves; letting them know that they've been spotted and sussed out.

The worst part is that the rest of the store -- at least the ones I go to -- is usually way understaffed, so the greeter would be better served helping customers in the isles, rather than standing around like a plonker

That's a solid rant by me :p

They get a lot of bad reviews
https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bunnings-warehouse.html
I think of them as less of a greeter and more a quick info desk on your way in.

They usually know what aisle stuff is in so I don't have to spend 10 minutes looking for what I need.

I think of them as less of a greeter and more a quick info desk on your way in.

They usually know what aisle stuff is in so I don't have to spend 10 minutes looking for what I need.
If you dont know which aisle the nuts and screws are (5) or the garden lights ( 38) then maybe Bunnings isnt for you :)

:D

The fact that there is not an option to ignore people for an individual thread. In one thread some people can be absolute f*** wits and in another they can be perfectly reasonable. I hate that I have to fully ignore them in every thread.

i understand why somebody would pretend to be self-made when they live purely on handouts, but I dont understand how they build a fanbase of people who admire and look up to them. what are you looking up to exactly??
Many of 'those people' (read: vapid young women who live and die by social media) scramble to copy their Instagram idiols. Case in point: one of the Kardashians thinks wearing sneakers and a skirt to a restaurant is fashionable, and straight away all the copycats follow suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back