our captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Across the entirety of the league big Tex remains massively underrated. He's seen as a star, but he should be in the conversation about the very best players in the league. His peak form this year has been that good.

Walshy got this SO right.

I'm sure my 'we'll miss finals' thread has several more bumps left in it, but surely someone can give my 'Tex should be our next captain' thread from 2014 a bump every now and then.

Across the entirety of the league big Tex remains massively underrated. He's seen as a star, but he should be in the conversation about the very best players in the league. His peak form this year has been that good.
I hate using the term 'potential' - but potentially on his day Tex is as good as anyone in the AFL.

Last edited:
Love the Tex. He will always have games where he is down every player does but when he is on song he is the best CHF in the comp. In fact even when Tex is off a little he still does enough to influence the game. Some of his simple tap on's are brilliant and demonstrate that he has a real understanding of the game yet most go unnoticed. (so much for him being a simple country hick like someone suggested when they were talking about the Crouch brothers). Then there is his handball. Some are simply brilliant but some are just uncanny like pulling a rabbit our of a hat. His kicking is second to none we all know that. Finally his leadership which continues to grow has shown the rest of the team that we can be tough. I always thought that Sloane should have been captain but at the moment its difficult to argue with the decision that Phil Walsh made when he appointed Tex.

He seems to have shaken off whatever injury/niggle that was holding him back in the middle of the year. He's leading and jumping at the ball again instead of trying to sneak out the back every time.

5 contested marks in those conditions was an insane effort.

I loved how he took every opportunity to get stuck into the opposition, but didn't cross the line into cheap shot territory like schoolyard thug Hawkins.

I'm not sure why there's even mention of Tex being underrated, when last year he was voted the best Captain of the AFL by his peers!
No doubt us doing well over the last couple of years is helped by Tex's leadership. Some just don't understand how good he is, because they judge him on purely his marking ability. They forget he has one of the best non-dominant left legs out of the entire AFL league, and best quick handpasses and tap-ons to advantage the game has ever seen. Also, he is probably one of the best kicks outside of 50m. Huge weapons he has!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the guy and has been my favorite player for years now, but always frustrating that he such a beautiful, natural kick of the footy misses so many goals.

Would love to have seem him play in the days of the lead-up full forward. May have even been better than Grenville ;)

I'm sure my 'we'll miss finals' thread has several more bumps left in it, but surely someone can give my 'Tex should be our next captain' thread from 2014 a bump every now and then.

Gold

But it's much easier to be negative and bump the ridiculous calls than it is to bump the great calls ;)

Is there a better photo?

View attachment 401060
No
There isn't

It's almost as if he's been let off the leash a bit.

I love the big Texan
Thank you Phil Walsh

Don't read the rest of the poem
Too sad

But the opening lines

"O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won, "

I think people focus too much on Goals as a KPI for CHF's these days, but they neglect to point out the Tex also leads the entire AFL for goal assists. If it was the 1980's Tex's goal tally would obviously be higher as he would have been told to have a ping at nearly every kick he gets from within 65m.

As it stands though, we are the highest scoring team in the league by a country mile and Tex is a massive reason for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back