Opinion Who is our most important player?

Who is our most important player?

• Josh Kennedy

• Lance Franklin

• Dane Rampe

• Heath Grundy

• Luke Parker

• Dan Hannebery

• Isaac Heeney

• Jake Lloyd

• Sam Reid

• Sam Naismith

• Kurt Tippett

• Tom Papley

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be Kennedy for me. Sure, in his absence we got over an injury-hit Geelong and smacked the Dockers, but if we were to make it to grand final day this year I'd rather be missing any other player than JPK.

Runner up is Franklin, then it's tight between Reid, Parker and Heeney.

Rampe.. sure results look good since he has returned, but his own form was very poor for some of those wins. His return also coincided with us getting our full strength side back together (and pulling our finger out).

Tough to say, i think you could make cases for Bud, JPK, Rampe, Grundy or Parker.

Bud - Easily our best player, can turn a game in 5 minutes and so much of our offence flows through him. Has probably single handedly won more games for us than anybody over the last few years

JPK - Most consistent player I've ever seen. Never has a bad game and sometimes it seems as though the team would crumble without him. He'd probably get my vote but we seem to go ok without him the last 2 weeks (admittedly the freo game shouldnt count)

Rampe & Grundy - Pillars of the best defence in the competition (along with nick smith). These two have great chemistry together. It was ridiculous how much we missed Rampe in the first 6 weeks. I think Reg also missed him, as he's been playing much better since The Dane Train has been back.

Parker - Not the best or most consistent, but when he plays well we usually win. That to me means he's a very important player. Been up and about the second half of the year and we've been a much better team because of it. If we are to go all the way this year we'll need a fit and firing Luke Parker.

Honourable mentions - Hanners & Lloyd

Has to be Kennedy for me. Sure, in his absence we got over an injury-hit Geelong and smacked the Dockers, but if we were to make it to grand final day this year I'd rather be missing any other player than JPK.

Runner up is Franklin, then it's tight between Reid, Parker and Heeney.

Rampe.. sure results look good since he has returned, but his own form was very poor for some of those wins. His return also coincided with us getting our full strength side back together (and pulling our finger out).

Ive read before on this board that Rampe has had a poor year. I must of watched different games tbh. Only bad game I've seen was against Richmond were he made a few bone-headed plays. Other than that game i think he's been terrific. Rarely gets beaten, good penetrating kick and is a great leader of the back 6

Plenty of honourable mentions but it's Rampe for me. Rampe out completely destabilises our whole defence as there is no natural replacement. He just covers so many bases with his flexibility.

Overlooked in 3 national drafts.

Picked up as a Rookie for nothing.

Kinnear Beatson You Star!

Ive read before on this board that Rampe has had a poor year. I must of watched different games tbh. Only bad game I've seen was against Richmond were he made a few bone-headed plays. Other than that game i think he's been terrific. Rarely gets beaten, good penetrating kick and is a great leader of the back 6
I wouldn't say a poor year, I think he's worked his way in to decent form now. When he returned from injury he had 2-3 very ordinary games. It's probably highlighted because normally he's so clean and consistent, so when he's off his game it stands out.

Parker.

His workrate is exceptional and when he's going forward kicking goals we're unstoppable.

Gets a lot of flack for dominating in blowouts going missing when the going gets tough. Does it ever occur to people that there might be some causation there? When he's BOG we absolutely blow the doors of teams and when he struggles so do we.

Any year prior to this I would have said jpk

Now it is buddy in my opinion due to Parker stepping up when jpk has been out recently

Strong argument for McVeigh after seeing how disorganised our team looked without him (amongst others)

IMO he hasn't had a poor year but has not been as good as he was last year, which was exceptional.
The difference is that opposition teams are paying him more respect compared to last year.

Has to be big Bud > Grundy/Rampe > JPK for me.

But jeez I feel like when Heeney has a good game he completely changes our team. His cleanness collecting the ball + handballs/kicks to advantage make our ball movement sooooooo much crisper and seem to make everyone around him better.

Maybe I just changed my mind...

Purely based on this year I'd have to say Rampe. But our team is slowly getting rid of its dependencey on a few players and is now much more systematic. Well except Rampe and Lloyd as evident this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in our system groups of players are more important than individuals. JPK can miss a game and Buddy can be down on output and we can still win.

JPK played well in our 0-6 run and all for nought.

Commercially and individually, I think it's Buddy then daylight.

Structurally, I think it's a dead heat Grundy vs Rampe.

I'm only half joking when I say Towers. Every club has a top half dozen as good as ours, and probably a mid half dozen as good as ours. It's those players at 20-25 on the list that make the difference. Towers has been in and out of that side. He's been scapegoated, ridiculed, criticised, and written off. But when you watch his Reserves efforts, there's been no more enthusiastic player. Clearly he's not the most talented but I'd bet if you asked a fellow player, he'd be one of the most respected. It's what Dean Towers represents that makes him the most important in my opinion. It might be that he gets dropped for Kennedy just on talent, or for Newman if he spends a week out with his knee, but the club knows that there's a player there who can be relied upon at any time to come into the side and run and run and run and compete and play tall if need be or fill holes if need be. Only GWS can look at their replacements with the same confidence we can with ours, especially Dean Towers.

And that's the difference between the really good clubs and the others.

I agree, but it's hard to prove because he's missed so few games.
That was half my thought process he's missed so few during a successful era. Also lack of replacements, when he got rubbed out for the qf in 2012 we had LRT to cover that role. We don't have any proven replacement like that atm.

I agree, but it's hard to prove because he's missed so few games.

He missed the QF v Adelaide in Adelaide in 2012 when he clipped Podsiadly in the last H&A game.
Not underestimating Reg's value because it is immense but we won that game easily without him.

Reg is really the only player we have who can play on the massive KPF's.

Hawkins is the example at the top of my head. Thanfully there are fewer and fewer Hawkins style KPF's in the game today.

Franklin, JPK, Grundy, Rampe, Parker, Hannebery, Lloyd, KJack and McVeigh, Heeney are our core group. Cannot say the *one* player
Then the next level is Rohan, Hewitt, Papley, Mills, Jones (usually Smith in past years) and the third level is Towers, Melican and Newman.
Hmm, none of us have named Reid, Tippet, Naismith or Sinclair.
I think that is what makes us a tought side to beat, it is that the opposition cannot tag just the one player to the stop the team.
We need a contribution from most of our core group, which pulls along the rest of the team.
I wish that we had better bullet, waist to shoulder high direct passing into our forwards instead of our long bombs.
Gotta love this team.

Back