2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread - Part IV A New Hope

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time 2 years ago the 'experts' had us taking a tumble down the ladder due to losing the games best player.

This time last year there were doubts we could improve and withstand the inevitable GWS surge and impending Dogs dynasty.

Yet here we are.

We haven't won anything you're quite right, but we are in a good position to do so. It's clear our system is one of the best going around. Hawthorn lost players quite a bit in their years (mostly due to retirement) but they always found another one either via draft or trades.

Losing 2 of our best young players in the one hit won't be great should it eventuate, and clearly we need to find out why this is a regular occurance. Is it just money ?? And if it is why are we so comfortable in doing what we do when it appears detrimental.
Would we be better had we kept Danger?

As for the Hawks they've attracted quality players, the recent players we've brought in are Seedsman, Menzel, Hampton and Gore. None established best 22.

How many times can we rely on recruiting finding players late and in cat b rookies to save our inability to hold talent?

Well Hamish said he's not leaving until the "job is done" (Flag)

So while he's around, i'm confident we'll continue to recruit good players with lower picks. And if he leaves, we've more than likely won a flag, so i'll be ok with that too!

I am not sure why you are so hung up on "keeping players".

If they are keeping a group like Geelong and Hawthorn during their Premiership years I could understand your angst

But they aren't. And they have actively tried to break this group up and the industry said "No thanks".

I have come to a point where I don't care if players leave as I have confidence in our club to remain strong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Next man up

How soon will Port try to trade Pittard?

Just wondering whether they'll regret this one more than the Lobbe, Hartlett, Broadbent contracts.

The emergence of Byrne-Jones means they now have two identical players. Smacks of "no-one wants to leave us" chest puffing PR exercise.

Lost by 97 in that one

Never been beaten by 100 at home

We've lost 9 games in our history by 100 or more. Freo have had 3 this year!

At the Dome under the roof in sterile conditions with the Dons needing to win to secure finals.

Expect another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant believe that NM are trying to get Dusty on a $2m deal. Seriously ffs they are not just one player away from being a decent team.
Their warchest is bigger than ours

FFS NM have had 3 $9m offers in the last 3 years and havent landed the big fish. Its not money sometimes

Yeah that's the more plausible explanation, it can't be they are good at retaining their players
Well s**t. Why don't you join Port Adelaide... you seem to love and admire what they do so much? :rolleyes: Fair dinkum, if they remotely had any good players (well ok, one or two) and were going for back to back premierships, you MIGHT have a case.... but they are s**t - on AND off the field, have been for a few years, and their players stay BECAUSE NO-ONE ELSE WANTS THEM. Our players are in demand because.... you fill in the blanks.

**** I hate Kane Cornes, but Port certainly do have a much greater track record of maintaining players. While we're league leaders in losing A grade talent...

Maybe we need a better before game song? The towel thing didn't work, maybe some better hats?
Theres your answer ;)

History is repeating down the road ...

Lobbe signs a mega contract: "We've secured the best ruckman in the comp! For five years! Confidence in Port Adelaide Football!"

Hartlett signs a mega contract: "We've kept a gun! Offers flying from everywhere! And for five years!"

Broadbent signs a big contract: "Another superstar stays at Alberton! Destination club!"

Now Pittard signs a THREE-YEAR DEAL!: "We don't lose our star players! Powah clap-clap-clap Powah clap-clap-clap!"

All of them were overpaid. All of them got too long a term.

8 weeks ago they wanted Pittard scrapped. Now he's been signed for THREE YEARS!

Port aren't a destination club. They're an easy target for managers who know just how to push the right buttons that make the Power knee-jerk in reaction and get overs for their clients. And all so they can bullshit on with how good they are at keeping their players. This is the cost.

Last edited:
I always thought I understood footy. I've been around the sport since before I could walk, and grew up in a very AFL family with very deep links to the game.

But apparently the game has changed.

I didn't realise the aim of the game was to keep players in your list until they retire.

I thought it was about winning games of football, and most importantly, winning finals games of football.

Here I was, sitting in my delusion that winning the premiership would be a success... When actually, losing players will wipe out any positives from the season, and replace it with the shame of poor culture.

The experts will look back at 2017 in years to come and revere those teams that re-signed the most players... No one will care who won the flag. No one ever does.

This is only scratching the surface, I have so much to learn about things like what draft picks you have traded for, which players nominate you for trades ... and other TRUE indicators of success.

Lucky I am on Big Footy... so many wise minds to teach me these new ways.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

**** I hate Kane Cornes, but Port certainly do have a much greater track record of maintaining players. While we're league leaders in losing A grade talent...

Maybe we need a better before game song? The towel thing didn't work, maybe some better hats?

It was pretty sad hearing Kane trying to claim that Shittard was on the same level as Lever.

As always with Port supporters and people like Kane and Rucci they always trying and use false analogies to try and prove that Port are superior.

The most ridiculous was hearing Kane trying to use Wingard as an example of Port being able to hold on to players, Wingard is frigging from SA you moron !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back