2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread - Part IV A New Hope

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha just found out Pittard has signed a 3 year extension at Port. Oh Port, will you ever change? bahahahahahaha

lol :p PAFC ensuring we win future showdowns!:thumbsu:

Pittard, 26, is also turning his back on significant offers from at least two AFL clubs in his home city of Melbourne - deals he could have picked up with no hurdle to change clubs. As an unrestricted free agent, Pittard had a free pass to whichever club he wanted to join. His commitment to the Power - which has held on to the bulk of its uncontracted players in the past five years, is another massive boost for the environment built by coach Ken Hinkley and his football chief Chris Davies. Players stay at Alberton - and re-sign with a minimum of fuss. It is a stark contrast to events at the other end of West Lakes Boulevard with the Adelaide Football Club.:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/11bd6a58388e2d81ba7009a8ca8c268a

The thing is port may be better at retaining their players but name big players that they have had to keep? Apart from probably Boak and Gray.

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app
+1

It would be like us bragging that we kept 400kay away from Victoria. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Yeah that's the more plausible explanation, it can't be they are good at retaining their players

Yes, less players have left Port as the Crows and I do think that in the past we have been poor at retaining players. But whose the better club? Port, for all their player retention look like they are going nowhere fast. Sometimes, you have to make changes to add new dynamics to the squad and game plan. If that means, not matching offers from rival clubs, looking to trade players who may want out probably should be done more often. It can be too easy to clog up the list full of players who don't want to go anywhere and the club just relies on retirements, delistings and the draft. Maybe we are top because we run the gauntlet by drafting the best talent available at the draft regardless of their potential of going home.

Fremantle 18 WA Players - Lets say no more but Freo suck!
West Coast 22 WA players - Old and Slow
Port Adelaide 16 SA Players - In the 8 but failed to beat a top 8 side this year
Adelaide 13 SA Players - Top, speaks for itself
Brisbane 14 QLD Players - Showing signs of putting together a young and exciting list
Sydney 8 NSW Players - Just beat us.

I didn't do Gold Coast or GWS because they are still getting their s**t together.

What is clear, is that Fremantle and West Coast both have a huge % of local talent on their lists but failed badly this year. Of the 13 Crows players on the list, only 5 players are in the best 22 while comparatively at Port, 8 SA players are in the best 22. So logic suggests that if you live on the edge, you will lose a few battles over time. American Sports and Soccer trade star players all the time whether the fans like it or not, its just seen as part of the sport. Why, because they are professional. If we want to be elite, you get the best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think as fans of the AFC we should just accept this and look comparatively at the ladder position. If we are 1st and winning premierships we shouldn't really be caring what happens with the list, as long as we are winning that is. If that changes and we fall away, yes then we should be ultra critical of the club and the list management etc.

lol :p PAFC ensuring we win future showdowns!:thumbsu:

Pittard, 26, is also turning his back on significant offers from at least two AFL clubs in his home city of Melbourne - deals he could have picked up with no hurdle to change clubs. As an unrestricted free agent, Pittard had a free pass to whichever club he wanted to join. His commitment to the Power - which has held on to the bulk of its uncontracted players in the past five years, is another massive boost for the environment built by coach Ken Hinkley and his football chief Chris Davies. Players stay at Alberton - and re-sign with a minimum of fuss. It is a stark contrast to events at the other end of West Lakes Boulevard with the Adelaide Football Club.:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/11bd6a58388e2d81ba7009a8ca8c268a

Apparently that's more important to them than winning. Fine by me.

Well s**t. Why don't you join Port Adelaide... you seem to love and admire what they do so much? :rolleyes: Fair dinkum, if they remotely had any good players (well ok, one or two) and were going for back to back premierships, you MIGHT have a case.... but they are s**t - on AND off the field, have been for a few years, and their players stay BECAUSE NO-ONE ELSE WANTS THEM. Our players are in demand because.... you fill in the blanks.
Pretty mature response there Jenny, of course to acknowledge when another club does something well it must mean you should go and support that club. Grow up.

So you think no other club wants or has wanted:

Wines
Gray
Wingard
Boak
Trengove
Pittard

I actually don't rate Port because they are very ordinary, that doesn't mean they haven't been able to retain some quality players. To suggest otherwise just shows you are in denial and further shows your Crows blinkers are firmly fixed on.

History is repeating down the road ...

Lobbe signs a mega contract: "We've secured the best ruckman in the comp! For five years! Confidence in Port Adelaide Football!"

Hartlett signs a mega contract: "We've kept a gun! Offers flying from everywhere! And for five years!"

Broadbent signs a big contract: "Another superstar stays at Alberton! Destination club!"

Now Pittard signs a THREE-YEAR DEAL!: "We don't lose our star players! Powah clap-clap-clap Powah clap-clap-clap!"

All of them were overpaid. All of them got too long a term.

8 weeks ago they wanted Pittard scrapped. Now he's been signed for THREE YEARS!

Port aren't a destination club. They're an easy target for managers who know just how to push the right buttons that make the Power knee-jerk in reaction and get overs for their clients. And all so they can bullshit on with how good they are at keeping their players. This is the cost.

They have a vanilla list. It's mediocre. Signing so many plebs onto long term contracts probably does that. Managers are cluey bastards, the club really does itself no favours. A manager only has to talk about the negative media response if a player walks out on the famous Port culture. Trengove though has yet to sign.

I always thought I understood footy. I've been around the sport since before I could walk, and grew up in a very AFL family with very deep links to the game.

But apparently the game has changed.

I didn't realise the aim of the game was to keep players in your list until they retire.

I thought it was about winning games of football, and most importantly, winning finals games of football.

Here I was, sitting in my delusion that winning the premiership would be a success... When actually, losing players will wipe out any positives from the season, and replace it with the shame of poor culture.

The experts will look back at 2017 in years to come and revere those teams that re-signed the most players... No one will care who won the flag. No one ever does.

This is only scratching the surface, I have so much to learn about things like what draft picks you have traded for, which players nominate you for trades ... and other TRUE indicators of success.

Lucky I am on Big Footy... so many wise minds to teach me these new ways.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
My wife commented the other day that Footy media is worse than gossip media.

When you actually listen to Footy media there are few that actually talk about the game and tactics. It is all fluff now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My wife commented the other day that Footy media is worse than gossip media.

When you actually listen to Footy media there are few that actually talk about the game and tactics. It is all fluff now

Official AFL Club Press conferences have turned into question after question dealing with rumour mongering on players contracts. I am all for having a comprehensive media coverage of the game, however, it has really strayed from game day analysis and team v team match ups etc. I would like to see the AFL really crack down and ban all questions based around rumour at these press conferences. The Buckley after match press conference was farcical with Rucci demanding answers on a made up rumour. It's turning into a joke and it's all actually a load of rubbish with 99% of the gossip proven to be false. But they sold newspapers and got ratings. Its crap.

Would we be better had we kept Danger?

As for the Hawks they've attracted quality players, the recent players we've brought in are Seedsman, Menzel, Hampton and Gore. None established best 22.
We would certainly have been. We are a better team since he left, but not a better one without him if that makes sense.

The thing with Hawthorn is they attracted players who most of us thought were cooked and turned them into diamonds. Lake was finished.... ended up with a Norm, Burgoynes knees were shot, still going nearly 10 years later, Gibson was a small average KPD, wins 2 bnfs in flag years.

This is about structure and culture and I hope it's something we can work on. Hampton I have high hopes for and IMO is important moving forward, Menzel hopefully too.

If we are going to leak players we have to improve that side of things

Official AFL Club Press conferences have turned into question after question dealing with rumour mongering on players contracts. I am all for having a comprehensive media coverage of the game, however, it has really strayed from game day analysis and team v team match ups etc. I would like to see the AFL really crack down and ban all questions based around rumour at these press conferences. The Buckley after match press conference was farcical with Rucci demanding answers on a made up rumour. It's turning into a joke and it's all actually a load of rubbish with 99% of the gossip proven to be false. But they sold newspapers and got ratings. Its crap.
The AFL would not want it to change as the gossip nature of AFL media has broadened the share the game gets in the media.

People get bored with analytical discussion, but gossip is popular. It has turned AFL into a seven day news cycle.

Look at the discussions on these boards. Most if it is gossip and few talk about the actual games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would certainly have been. We are a better team since he left, but not a better one without him if that makes sense.

The thing with Hawthorn is they attracted players who most of us thought were cooked and turned them into diamonds. Lake was finished.... ended up with a Norm, Burgoynes knees were shot, still going nearly 10 years later, Gibson was a small average KPD, wins 2 bnfs in flag years.

This is about structure and culture and I hope it's something we can work on. Hampton I have high hopes for and IMO is important moving forward, Menzel hopefully too.

If we are going to leak players we have to improve that side of things
Clarko is big on system and structure. Get the right players to fit his method and not just a name.

I suspect Pyke is similar.

Putting aside the issue of player retention success, why on earth would a team re-sign a player to a 3 year contract after they've been dropped twice this year. How is that smart list management? Surely a 1 or 2 year contract would be the maximum you'd give an experienced player who isn't even necessarily going to be in your best 22 at the start of next season?

The AFL would not want it to change as the gossip nature of AFL media has broadened the share the game gets in the media.

People get bored with analytical discussion, but gossip is popular. It has turned AFL into a seven day news cycle.

Look at the discussions on these boards. Most if it is gossip and few talk about the actual games.

I'm not saying ban any discussion on it, just at the mandatory press conferences which is set by the AFL. I agree with your points though. Just don't think Coaches getting grilled like Buckley was after the game was a good look even though Buckley made Rucci look like the ferret he is.

Port have a heap of defenders KP and running smalls. Surely they would gave been better off not offering Pittard and Trengove contracts - banking the draft picks and using the salary cap space on another missing piece.

They really need to work on their carelessness. How many puzzle pieces can one club be missing?

They really need to work on their carelessness. How many puzzle pieces can one club be missing?
Need one of these:

Article on AFL.com.au

Another of Connors' high-profile clients is Jack Watts, and the Demon has been getting a similar amount of pressure to Kelly for far different reasons.

Dropped to the VFL in recent weeks for indifferent form, Watts' commitment has once again come into question as the Demons approach a likely finals berth.

Connors marvels at how the 2008 No.1 draft pick has acquitted himself under constant scrutiny.

"I'm unashamedly his No.1 fan," Connors said.

"I think he's the most resilient footballer in the AFL, and I was just grabbed by someone last night saying, 'Can you please keep Jack Watts at Melbourne?'.

I'm guessing the person Conners was talking about is a supporter of a club Jack Watts has been linked to! :D

Cant believe that NM are trying to get Dusty on a $2m deal. Seriously ffs they are not just one player away from being a decent team.
I heard $1.5M for 7 years, but still crazy stuff.

North are acting desperate & not sure how it is going to help them in the long term for a rebuild by overpaying players.

Reckon they become the next Gold Coast...

I heard $1.5M for 7 years, but still crazy stuff.

North are acting desperate & not sure how it is going to help them in the long term for a rebuild by overpaying players.

Reckon they become the next Gold Coast...

I can appreciate a top 6 team doing that, but to so far deluded that Martin will take them to a flag is mind boggling.

Plus they will struggle to hold onto key players if they make a bid for Martin of that size. its madness.

TBH Its not a bad for the betterment of the competition if they do, his signing could cripple and kill the Club, force them to relocate to Tassie.

I can appreciate a top 6 team doing that, but to so far deluded that Martin will take them to a flag is mind boggling.

Plus they will struggle to hold onto key players if they make a bid for Martin of that size. its madness.

TBH Its not a bad for the betterment of the competition if they do, his signing could cripple and kill the Club, force them to relocate to Tassie.
Imo, they will end up being the Tasmanian team, which will be good for the national competition.

North Melbourne need more than money to become a desirable destination at the moment.
Spare money isn't the biggest problem for the Roos... perhaps they should let B Scott walk to the Gold Coast & start a proper rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back