Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We couldn't afford to let him go. A high teens pick as compensation is a joke. Yes Hawthorn got the same for Buddy but thier list was much better than ours is. We could win a flag if everything goes right like the dogs last year but our list isn't as good as Adelaide, GWS, Geelong and Sydney. We couldn't let our best player go for stuff all.

Would have been a win-win situation for Richmond if a decent 2nd KF (e.g. Reid) and good but not Dusty tier mid (???) had been on the market.

Keep him and they keep probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the comp, for what will be average salary for a player of his calibre very soon.

Lose him and they'd still have Cotchin, an improving Prestia, the 'good mid' (that doesn't have a name), and a solid bunch of B-graders, as well as fixing up their biggest weakness, and still having a couple of first rounders to play with.

Once it was clear that the options weren't really there, they really had to get the deal done.

but there is two of them and the hawks seem be functioning ok cap wise (?)

That's because we've never paid overs for one player. I'll never be critical of Richmond for the Martin deal, that's their concern. All I know is, if the Hawks matched Sydney's deal for Franklin and kept him at the club, I would have been one very nervous Hawks supporter every time he went for the ball. Hawks would never do this as they've always believed in a far wider spread across the board. Plus, we always knew some players would be putting their hands out for a little more as a bonus for winning premierships. We needed to keep room in the salary cap. Sydney is uniquely situated as a club as they know if they stuff up, uncle AFL will come to the rescue, but if a club such as Hawthorn or Richmond stuffed up, don't expect the AFL to be much help.

North melbourne are overall as a club going nowhere and lack direction, but the best thing they did this year was forcing the tigers to overpay Martin and really hold the Tigers accountable and at least prevent then from getting any better.

As a club theyre not good enough to be true contenders but if they had added another key piece, maybe they would be.

Now with the Martin saga, their hands are tied. Well done north.
We're shaking in our boots with the emergence of Carlton. Can't wait for those plebs to become relevant again so we can beat them when it counts. Too bad you're just GWS - lite and are rubbish.

$1.2m + is overs for a midfielder. Especially over 7 years.

That being said, he is a gun and Richmond has retained their best player so there's a fair few intangibles in that which make it probably worth it.

North signing him for $1.5m would of been a disaster.

We're shaking in our boots with the emergence of Carlton. Can't wait for those plebs to become relevant again so we can beat them when it counts. Too bad you're just GWS - lite and are rubbish.

No-one mentioned Carlton so your post screams of insecurity. You overpaid for Martin. Accept it and move on. Your tears have no value here missy.

No-one mentioned Carlton so your post screams of insecurity. You overpaid for Martin. Accept it and move on. Your tears have no value here missy.
Salary caps aren't breached at tigerland haha

In what psychologically skewed world do you think any Richmond supporter would be drowning in their sorrows right now? Maybe if your judgement was better you'd do what the majority of the Carlton supporter base did and join the Melbourne Victory and leave afl once and for all.

That's because we've never paid overs for one player. I'll never be critical of Richmond for the Martin deal, that's their concern. All I know is, if the Hawks matched Sydney's deal for Franklin and kept him at the club, I would have been one very nervous Hawks supporter every time he went for the ball. Hawks would never do this as they've always believed in a far wider spread across the board. Plus, we always knew some players would be putting their hands out for a little more as a bonus for winning premierships. We needed to keep room in the salary cap. Sydney is uniquely situated as a club as they know if they stuff up, uncle AFL will come to the rescue, but if a club such as Hawthorn or Richmond stuffed up, don't expect the AFL to be much help.
LOL
You just paid 700k to a guy who could hardly get on the field and hasn't played a full season in over 3 years, and yet you'd be nervous if a guy who hasn't missed a game in almost his whole career went near the ball!!

OK mete.

People do anyway. If you know the history of the Richmond supportorbase you'll understand the pic
You mean Melbourne supporter base dont you, seeing as the whole microwave our membership tale was started by a Melbourne supporter.
Only true story about Richmond is the truck load of chicken s**t, we rarely finish ninth and I dont know of any of our huge suporter base that have ever microwaved their membership, I doubt it would even work owing to the requirement of liquids to make a microwave work, does your tupperware melt when you heat up your leftovers and if they did it would be from conducted heat from the food;)

Now on the other hand the Essendon are cheats Essendon using supplements, Essendon supporters being naive(blind faith) about what Hird did are all proven facts.

How could we have overpaid, the market decides value and he had an offer much larger than ours meaning we got him for a steal, he is in the top two players in the comp yet he isnt the highest paid player, shows it was a good deal, although we could have done a SOS and picked up half a dozen rejects for similar money instead:drunk:

You mean Melbourne supporter base dont you, seeing as the whole microwave our membership tale was started by a Melbourne supporter.
Only true story about Richmond is the truck load of chicken s**t, we rarely finish ninth and I dont know of any of our huge suporter base that have ever microwaved their membership, I doubt it would even work owing to the requirement of liquids to make a microwave work, does your tupperware melt when you heat up your leftovers and if they did it would be from conducted heat from the food;)

Now on the other hand the Essendon are cheats Essendon using supplements, Essendon supporters being naive(blind faith) about what Hird did are all proven facts.
Yep Tiger supporter base is magnificent. Most unsuccessful club since 82 and arguably the biggest club in the land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We couldn't afford to let him go. A high teens pick as compensation is a joke. Yes Hawthorn got the same for Buddy but thier list was much better than ours is. We could win a flag if everything goes right like the dogs last year but our list isn't as good as Adelaide, GWS, Geelong and Sydney. We couldn't let our best player go for stuff all.

What kind of bizarre logic is this?

With all the new cap increases. Geelong must have a scary amount of room. Our best 2 players are on 800k each.

With all the new cap increases. Geelong must have a scary amount of room. Our best 2 players are on 800k each.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You guys were trying to offload Motlop last year desperately to free up cap space. So I don't think you're as good as you think you are.

Last edited:

how much is tommy and jager on?

i dont think richmond have paid over either, dusty aside. then again you could argue dusty is pretty good and worth the money

Last edited:
?
Rance, Cotch, Jack are all coming close to the end of their contracts which you would assume where front loaded. They will all be pushing 30 and receive a smaller contract for the next one.
Prestias the only one on big money that just started a contract.
Dusty very well may be getting $1.1 million a year. That our "final" offer a week before he signed and I see no one saying we upped our offer other than I guy saying we we paid $1.3. In the interview Dusty said he went over to New Zealand to tell his Dad he was staying at the Tiges, so its unlikely a new offer would have come after that.
So if we are actually only paying $1.1 after the 20% in cap, then thats a very reasonable contract for a top player.

We have no players that look like they will break out and become worth $700k+ plus within the next year or two either, so doesnt look like a real big issue there.
Our young players are just getting started and any of them currently signed or singing in the next 1-2 years will most likely be on at best $400kish contracts.

North melbourne are overall as a club going nowhere and lack direction, but the best thing they did this year was forcing the tigers to overpay Martin and really hold the Tigers accountable and at least prevent then from getting any better.

As a club theyre not good enough to be true contenders but if they had added another key piece, maybe they would be.

Now with the Martin saga, their hands are tied. Well done north.
Who said we overpaid? Any proof?

Spot on with all that Damon. On Matthew White, despite the fact that he was a required player who we really didn't want to lose, there was no compensation whatsoever offered on his free agency. Not even a 4th round pick. It's a woeful system.
The sooner it goes to zero compensation the better. Teams are deliberately not re-signing players and "losing" them because they know the compo they're getting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back