News Gary Pert Has Officially Resigned (from page 9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of those types of situations develop over time and so incrementally that it can be hard to discern from within. People scoffed at the review but it seems to be hitting all the right marks.
Yes, that is generally the case but it is the job of an administration to monitor performance and for a CEO it seems they are some of the pretty basic performance criteria. Anyway, it's been dealt with and hopefully the replacement can get everyone back on the same page. The club does need look at it performance measurement criteria for key employees though.

Yes, that is generally the case but it is the job of an administration to monitor performance and for a CEO it seems they are some of the pretty basic performance criteria. Anyway, it's been dealt with and hopefully the replacement can get everyone back on the same page. The club does need look at it performance measurement criteria for key employees though.

As far as I'm aware, Peter Murphy's review hasn't even been finalised yet, only the Geoff Walsh FD review. It's Peter Murphy's review that will look at the management side of things and another that looks at governance I'm sure will have recommendations in them about how these things should be done going forward.

Last edited:
Is Murphy actually a candidate to resume in this position? As much as I like information leaking (for our sake) it's refreshing not to resemble a sieve at the moment.
No. He’s made it clear that he cannot take up the position permanently as he has other commitments. It’s a shame, because a guy like him is exactly what we need to keep Ed in line.

No. He’s made it clear that he cannot take up the position permanently as he has other commitments. It’s a shame, because a guy like him is exactly what we need to keep Ed in line.

He will keep Eddie in line because if Eddie stuffs up he will challenge. Was strongly rumored to do it last year but pulled out. Problem was he had no profile with the members. That is not the case anymore. Very smart businessmen, has the cash etc to challenge but did not have the profile. You can cross that off now and if Eddie stuffs up, he will swoop.

He will keep Eddie in line because if Eddie stuffs up he will challenge. Was strongly rumored to do it last year but pulled out. Problem was he had no profile with the members. That is not the case anymore. Very smart businessmen, has the cash etc to challenge but did not have the profile. You can cross that off now and if Eddie stuffs up, he will swoop.

These are very interesting and encouraging comments. But not sure it will pan out that way. McGuire is the sort of bloke that could sniff a challenge coming from a 1000 miles away. And if he does, he will use his influence to quash a potential threat.

There are 2 main reasons why McGuire is still in the role of president:

(i) the majority of supporters love him;
(ii) it is an honorary position and hence, any business man/woman of substance does not have the time to spend in such a role. McGuire on the other hand, benefits/leverages from the role.

Hence, it makes him almost bullet proof. And Big Ed will fight tooth and nail to stay in the role. After all he wants to be the longest serving President in the history of the CFC and have that statue outside Holden Centre.

These are very interesting and encouraging comments. But not sure it will pan out that way. McGuire is the sort of bloke that could sniff a challenge coming from a 1000 miles away. And if he does, he will use his influence to quash a potential threat.

(ii) it is an honorary position and hence, any business man/woman of substance does not have the time to spend in such a role. McGuire on the other hand, benefits/leverages from the role.

Hence, it makes him almost bullet proof. And Big Ed will fight tooth and nail to stay in the role. After all he wants to be the longest serving President in the history of the CFC and have that statue outside Holden Centre.

he grew up loving the biggest and best

only natural he would aspire to be the same

Your strong rumour source is talking crap.

Not interesting or encouraging. What they actually are is not true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah just like when I started this thread saying pert was gone. How did that turn out? Also stood firm re Lever to dees when people were trying to say he wanted to be a pie.
I'm not sold

I think you’re being a bit harsh on Ed there ... I don’t think this is some machiavallian plot by Ed to hold onto power.

For all his faults, IMO Ed truly wants to do what is best for Collingwood, and to his credit, it looks like what he’s engineered (with the Murphy review, etc) is more in Collingwood’s best interests than a board challenge last year would have been.

You reckon? Of the voting members, sure, there’d be some who love him. There’d also be some who despise him too. I’d reckon the majority would be somewhere in the middle and would love to see him put up against another option.

That’s purely because McGuire has made it that way.

Andrew Pridham is a merchant banker - a businessman of substance - and yet somehow he seems to find the time to be Chairman of the Sydney Swans.

Board roles are meant to be at arms length from company operations. It’s not the President’s role to sniff around trade prospects or list management decisions or whatever. They turn up to Board meeting once a month where they hold the CEO and the executive team to account, they play host at home games and any important events and announcements, and that’s pretty much it.

Good god, IIRC, we’ve got another 10 years or so to go for that to happen, haven’t we?

Is Murphy actually a candidate to resume in this position? As much as I like information leaking (for our sake) it's refreshing not to resemble a sieve at the moment.

Don’t be surprised if Murphy nominates for a board position at the upcoming AGM (probably February).

I think people are being a bit harsh on Pert in this thread.

Sure, it’s just so damn convenient to blame everything on the person who just left the building. But what purpose does that serve?

To the people who blame Pert for the leaks ... do you seriously believe McGuire would have kept him on as CEO of Collingwood for 10 years if he had been backgrouding the media on everything going on in Collingwood?

Collingwood has somebody with his tentacles tangled right through the media and it ain’t Gary Pert.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Pert in this thread. Sure, it’s just so damn convenient to blame everything on the person who just left the building. But what purpose does that serve? To the people who blame Pert for the leaks ... do you seriously believe McGuire would have kept him on as CEO of Collingwood for 10 years if he had been backgrouding the media on everything going on in Collingwood? Collingwood has somebody with his tentacles tangled right through the media and it ain’t Gary Pert.

Now you've really got me wondering...

Sure, it’s just so damn convenient to blame everything on the person who just left the building. But what purpose does that serve?

To the people who blame Pert for the leaks ... do you seriously believe McGuire would have kept him on as CEO of Collingwood for 10 years if he had been backgrouding the media on everything going on in Collingwood?

Collingwood has somebody with his tentacles tangled right through the media and it ain’t Gary Pert.
Pert was a major problem. Staff and players disliked him.

Don’t need tentacles through out the media to get info out, just a couple of contacts

What sort of "stuff up" do you hope Ed makes?

Or testicles as the great Jack Dyer once quipped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back