List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many clubs would want menzel. Interesting to see where he goes

Given the limitations on both his on-field output (in the era of manic forward pressure) and his durability posed by all the knee issues, I don't think there's going to be any clubs offering more than we do.

His bravery to get back and play a role at AFL level has been nothing short of remarkable.

But without a key injection of players who can stay fit and bring the heat in our forward line, it is really hard to see a role for him in the seniors in 2018 and beyond.

https://goo.gl/9sYKQR

DANIEL Menzel’s future at Geelong is likely to become clearer in the next fortnight.

The Geelong forward put negotiations with the Cats on hold during the finals, but with their campaign coming to an end last Friday night, the 26-year-old now has a decision to make.

“I said to my manager a couple of weeks ago “I’m going to focus on the finals and I don’t really want to talk about that stuff until the finals are done,” he said during Geelong’s Wacky Wednesday celebrations.

“I’ll probably sit down with him in the next few days and work out where things are at.

“I’d still like to be at Geelong, absolutely, but there’s still things to be worked through.”

Menzel, who played 19 games and kicked 40 goals in 2017, confirmed he has a one-year deal on the table.

However, he has played down suggestions he deserves more than just another 12 months.

“It’s probably more complicated than that,” Menzel said. “I don’t know whether it’s necessarily the one (year), but it’s obviously got to be the right deal at the same time.

“That definitely plays a role in this.

“To be honest, I don’t know the complete details at the moment, or even my thoughts, because I haven’t thought about it.

“Obviously we lost the other night and it’s been a big few days. It’s something in a couple of weeks’ time we’ll definitely have an answer.”

He says his body is feeling the best it’s ever felt at the end of a season and won’t require any surgery.

“Last year I limped through the finals and the groins were a bit sore,” he said.

“This year, the body felt extremely good rolling into finals, and I was ready to go for them.

“I’ll go into the off-season feeling really fit and enjoy the off-season.

“But I’ll come back day one of pre-season in great shape.”

I think its important for Menz to be injury free this Off season.

Probably the only time he can relax in the Offseason and not rehab - and then when he comes back, just be working on training again and not rehabbing.

Hope he stays especially if Mots is out.

Go Catters

I think its important for Menz to be injury free this Off season.

Probably the only time he can relax in the Offseason and not rehab - and then when he comes back, just be working on training again and not rehabbing.

Hope he stays especially if Mots is out.

Go Catters
If he stays (and I genuinely hope he does, for the right price) i'd love to see what an unhampered preseason can do for him

If he stays (and I genuinely hope he does, for the right price) i'd love to see what an unhampered preseason can do for him
Perhaps his last one was 2011 Preseason injury free I think

Go Catters

I've barely played any footy since school. And none at anything close to an elite level.

I still thought Menzel was being incredibly stupid and selfish.
Played plenty of footy...couple of things. He was clear and could have run another 10 metres to be inside 50. Was slightly off balance and did not hit it out of the screws. Had a couple of options and probably should have used them. in hindsight. I want my goal kickers to go for it. Sick of watching good players 35 metres (Tomahawk) looking to lay off. Att 55 running in you know as a footballer you can kick that goal. But you are not going to do it every time. Kicks it he is a star misses he's out ...NO that is not fair .

He's definitely staying IMO. Sounds like there's a fair bit to work through with his contract.

A forward line of Hawkins, Menzel, Cockatoo, McCarthy, one of Stringer/Smith and one of Ablett/Dangerfield certainly looks a lot more potent than our 2017 forward line...

https://goo.gl/9sYKQR

DANIEL Menzel’s future at Geelong is likely to become clearer in the next fortnight.

The Geelong forward put negotiations with the Cats on hold during the finals, but with their campaign coming to an end last Friday night, the 26-year-old now has a decision to make.

“I said to my manager a couple of weeks ago “I’m going to focus on the finals and I don’t really want to talk about that stuff until the finals are done,” he said during Geelong’s Wacky Wednesday celebrations.

“I’ll probably sit down with him in the next few days and work out where things are at.

“I’d still like to be at Geelong, absolutely, but there’s still things to be worked through.”

Menzel, who played 19 games and kicked 40 goals in 2017, confirmed he has a one-year deal on the table.

However, he has played down suggestions he deserves more than just another 12 months.

“It’s probably more complicated than that,” Menzel said. “I don’t know whether it’s necessarily the one (year), but it’s obviously got to be the right deal at the same time.

“That definitely plays a role in this.

“To be honest, I don’t know the complete details at the moment, or even my thoughts, because I haven’t thought about it.

“Obviously we lost the other night and it’s been a big few days. It’s something in a couple of weeks’ time we’ll definitely have an answer.”

He says his body is feeling the best it’s ever felt at the end of a season and won’t require any surgery.

“Last year I limped through the finals and the groins were a bit sore,” he said.

“This year, the body felt extremely good rolling into finals, and I was ready to go for them.

“I’ll go into the off-season feeling really fit and enjoy the off-season.

“But I’ll come back day one of pre-season in great shape.”
the fact he is even considering to stay shows what class the guy has.

So no takers for Dan......I hope we secure him now and have him available for the 2018 season.

He's a quality player...his shortcomings in defense can be addressed, and with another pre season should be available for the majority of games as he was this year.

By the end of the year he was cooked, if we are going to keep him he is not capable of playing more than 12-13 games and needs to be managed accordingly.

By the end of the year he was cooked, if we are going to keep him he is not capable of playing more than 12-13 games and needs to be managed accordingly.
I think the contract offered was based on this very fact, which is why it is reportedly around the 1 year 180k mark

So no takers for Dan......I hope we secure him now and have him available for the 2018 season.

He's a quality player...his shortcomings in defense can be addressed, and with another pre season should be available for the majority of games as he was this year.

No one will be talking about Dan's lack of pressure if guys like Cocky / McCarthy / Gregson / Parfitt can stay fit, also add Jones to that as I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a debut early next season.

Another full pre-season to Menz, maybe some better ball use out of the middle with Ablett, less defenders focused on him if Danger/Ablett spend some time up forward, watch out comp... 50+ goals to Menz in 2018 :thumbsu:

May have been playing a bit for preservation this year, with a view to shopping himself. I think it may be good for us if he stays, realising this might be as good as it gets contractwise for now. Obviously a proud and driven guy. If he can stay fit, look forward to some bigger more committed efforts from him if he is in the hoops next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So up Menz's deal to over 200k for this year - may be to 225 or 250.

One year deal still - and make the last 50k incentive based. Give him something to work for.

GO Cattesr

One year deal still - and make the last 50k incentive based. Give him something to work for.

GO Cattesr
Don’t think we will be upping the offer now Daz. He has tested the market and has no suitors for a better deal.

Credit to Geelong for getting the offer right and not overpaying.

Don’t think we will be upping the offer now Daz. He has tested the market and has no suitors for a better deal.

Credit to Geelong for getting the offer right and not overpaying.
Sure.. my point was that can lead to things being a bit stale...

We cut his $$ - he tested the market - got donuts - and now presumably will play here.

To keep him motivated - and $$ motivates the best - up his deal on incentives to keep that carrot infront of the donkey so to speak.

Go Catters

Last edited:
Still a chance he gets picked up away from us though.
I'd prefer to keep him. Been through so much with us, both he and GFC deserve some of his fruits if he is indeed in as good shape as he says.

No one will be talking about Dan's lack of pressure if guys like Cocky / McCarthy / Gregson / Parfitt can stay fit, also add Jones to that as I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a debut early next season.

Another full pre-season to Menz, maybe some better ball use out of the middle with Ablett, less defenders focused on him if Danger/Ablett spend some time up forward, watch out comp... 50+ goals to Menz in 2018 :thumbsu:
This is the irony of the Menzel situation. The players you mention - who do run about like tackling maniacs can't stay on the park as long as Menzel! :D

And players before them doing that role, the same. It seems like the premiership team is the one lucky enough to have those types who can last out a season. And looking at the Bulldogs, no more than that. Collingwood 2010 was a one off too.

I don't know the ins and outs of AFL free agency but how the hell did not a single club put an offer in front of this bloke?

I understand the forward pressure concerns but 40-goal players aren't exactly dime a dozen.

Are there any lingering question marks over his knee? Would have loved our club to kick the tires.

GO Cattesr

$1,000 per tackle :D

Still a chance he gets picked up away from us though.
I'd prefer to keep him. Been through so much with us, both he and GFC deserve some of his fruits if he is indeed in as good shape as he says.

He wont risk the draft too much chance no one will pick him up.

I don't know the ins and outs of AFL free agency but how the hell did not a single club put an offer in front of this bloke?

Just because he didn't sign an offer doesn't mean there wasn't plenty put in front of him. He would have wanted a 'career contract' offer by this age.

Just because he didn't sign an offer doesn't mean there wasn't plenty put in front of him. He would have wanted a 'career contract' offer by this age.
Ah ok. Phrasing of the article I read made it seem like noone offered him a contract but makes more sense that he just didn't sign anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back