List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Needs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching fox footy draft show. Have us picking Brander, a kpd/forward.

What’s our need?
Can't see us going Brander. Another one who doesn't really have a set position (KPF or KPD?)

Funnily enough, can see GWS going for him. They might need a bit of tall depth at either end now that Mummy's retired and Lobb has to go into the ruck. (was originally a GWS academy prospect until ruled ineligible earlier this year)

Can't see us going Brander. Another one who doesn't really have a set position (KPF or KPD?)

Funnily enough, can see GWS going for him. They might need a bit of tall depth at either end now that Mummy's retired and Lobb has to go into the ruck. (was originally a GWS academy prospect until ruled ineligible earlier this year)
Who do you think we will get?

AFL Draft Central's Matt Balmer/Bishop gut feel where players will fall in the 1st Round at this time...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bishops-2017-draft-thread.1162459/page-57

This is based off gut feel/inside info/guess work -- it's not an exact science. Happy to justify selection etc.

Have wipped up 'Others" in about 5 minutes due to work commitments. If there's a spelling/grammar error, apologies!

Pick 1: Brisbane Lions: Luke Davies-Uniacke

Others: Paddy Dow seems like the only other contender for the No.1 pick, with everything I hear suggesting Rayner isn't the Lions no.1 (he isn't the consensus No.1 around the place either)

Pick 2: Fremantle: Adam Cerra
Others: Freo have liked Cerra for a long time and I thought Pick 5 they'd consider him, but now may grab him at 2. Andrew Brayshaw another they've watched and liked throughout the year. Too early to consider Brander/Naughton. Already have a lot of Rayner 'types' - Dow could be considered too.

Pick 3: Carlton: Paddy Dow
Others: Picking a 'full-time' midfielder might see them grab Dow or LDU/Cerra if available. Darcy Fogarty another name that doesn't go away - but they might hope that he gets past North at 4 & to their next Pick at 10. Andrew Brayshaw would also be a candidate.

Pick 4: North Melbourne: Cam Rayner
Others: Have had multiple people mention to me over the last 96 hours that North are fans of Fogarty - but he's not someone I'd take this early. X-Factor Rayner should appeal to build their future around, Stephenson's strong 2nd 1/2 to the year might see him considered too.

Pick 5: Fremantle: Andrew Brayshaw
Others: Some people close to Brander continue to suggest that Freo have been right into them - some in the know say Naughton is another they might take, others say he isn't going to be considered. Brayshaw seems the best fit here.

Pick 6: Collingwood: Nicholas Coffield
Others: They might consider Naughton as a tall defender - but Coffield makes sense here as the best available. Aiden Bonar's strong 2nd half to the year will make him appeal heavily. They were the first club to speak to Nathan Murphy earlier in the year, but it's too early for him.

Pick 7: St Kilda: Jaidyn Stephenson
Others: Best available here - Saints will grab a slider if a tall goes above them.

Pick 8: St Kilda: Aiden Bonar
Others: Best available here - Saints will grab a slider if a tall goes above them but couldn't see Bonar being overlooked. Might look at Dandenong Stingrays teammate Hunter Clark. Saints were keen to add another KPD - but they may wait til next year after grabbing Logan Austin in trade week.

Pick 9: Western Bulldogs: Aaron Naughton
Others: Hands down the hardest pick inside the top 10 - who do they take? They've liked Nathan Murphy, but could hope he gets later. Fogarty would have to be a chance too. Small forward like Jack Higgins another.

Pick 10: Carlton: Darcy Fogarty
Others: Charlie Constable is one that SOS would take, while some sources say this is the furthest Bonar will get with the Blues unlikely to let him get past.

Pick 11: GWS: Jack Higgins
Others: Everyone linking them with Higgins makes me worried that this pick might not be as easy as it seems, especially when they could've grabbed Ainsworth last year and took Taranto. Watch this space with GWS.

Pick 12: Adelaide: Hunter Clark
Others: Best available, would grab D.Fogarty surely if he gets through.

Pick 13: WCE: Oscar Allen
Others: They need mids - but there isn't a suitable option here. Allen next best player on the board and a WA prospect. Clark would fit the bill if he slides. Constable's running in WA might be an issue - but he could be a project midfielder if they can get him up to speed.

Pick 14: Sydney: Nathan Murphy
Others: Seems the best fit here for the Swans - can play at either end. Constable another candidate.

Pick 15: Brisbane: Charlie Constable
Others: Best available here - but the fear could be that he is gone before this pick & it'd be very hard to see who the Lions grab at Pick 15. They also have Pick 18 - might look to take an outside mid or add some speed such as Petruccelle or Lochie O'Brien. Unlikely to take a tall with Ballenden's bid coming in the 20s.

Pick 16: Western Bulldogs: Ed Richards
Others: Murphy will be there man if the Swans don't take him. Could they take Gryan Miers this early? Richards' speed will appeal, as could Jack Petruccelle. Good chance to bid on Naish.

Pick 17: Richmond: Jarrod Brander
Others: Best fit to grab a tall. If Oscar Allen gets here that'd make sense - think Sam Hayes will be grabbed at their next pick, but he has a lot of work to be done on his running. Naish bid could come at Pick 16 - otherwise they'll be able to use Pick 20 as well. Lot of talk Richmond like Noah Balta too.
Would be great to get Paddy Dow. Just so someone hold up a banner when we play the cats... "Paddy Who? Paddy Dow".

Who do you think we will get?
If I were a betting man, I'd say Hunter Clark at this stage, although a lot can change from this point.

Fogarty also a decent chance, and I reckon if Aiden Bonar is still at our pick we take the risk on him (but looking unlikely he'll be there).

Hayes will be tempting too as a genuine ruck/ forward that could take over fron sauce eventually but also kick bags of goals forward

Clarke , Constable , Bonar , Fogarty , Higgins , Naughton

+ Hamish left field one

Wouldn't surprise to see a bid on Ballenden as we always seem to bid on someone !!

Bloody hope not, saw him here about 2 months ago and a GWV Rebel kid Flynn Appleby who looks likely to struggle to get drafted easily held Brander giving away 8 - 10cm and about 10kg, mind you Flynn is an excellent shut down defender that can play on smalls or talls. Every time I've seem Brander I've not been overly impressed, drops a lot of overhead marks that someone his size should he hanging on to and I really don't get the hype that surrounds him.
Not aggressive enough and too inconsistent

Hard to place , could go super early or in 20s

Hayes will be tempting too as a genuine ruck/ forward that could take over fron sauce eventually but also kick bags of goals forward

+ Hamish left field one

Wouldn't surprise to see a bid on Ballenden as we always seem to bid on someone !!
Wouldn't surprise me to see Ed Richards linked to us closer to the draft

12 probably a bit early, but has the speed and the defensive game that we seem to like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ Hamish left field one

Rekon with pick 12 there may have been a handshake to not bid on Ballenden? ;)

Like Burton Hayward or Graham

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Unfortunately Burton is signed until 2020, so you'd have to wait until then. Hayward and Graham are both out of contract at the end of 2018. If they have very good years next year and look like developing into guns, then absolutely, get in their ear and get them to hold off signing a contract. Hell, I'd just like to see other clubs - particularly those contesting finals - having to put up with the constant speculation on will they or won't they that we seem to deal with every bloody year.

Hey all, sorry for the intrusion, a couple of weeks ago just before your SANFL grand final, I went over to Adelaide to see my mate who is a promising young footballer.

He's also 17, at school at Sarced Heart, plays local footy for Glenelg.

I Was sitting in the Stands at AAMI Stadium watching him train with other potential draft picks (Lukosius, Rankine)
I already know those 2 are going to go high, do you know what the draft stock is like for Liam Wisdom?

He'll likely go between our 1st pick and 2nd pick, certainly wouldn't consider him at 12, if we want an outside line breaker Falcon Ethan Floyd would be worth a gamble, put him in space and he's as effective as anyone in this draft, some chance he'll be available at our 3rd pick. I can't see why Matt Signorello can't be used off half back/wing in the role Richards would likely play, the Sig has a really good set of wheels and is prepared to take the game on and unlike most of these types his contested game is good.
Yeah agreed that he goes in between our picks (reckon the Bulldogs might be very interested), wouldn't take him at 12 myself but can see him being linked to us, a la Isaac Cumming last year.

I rate him though, he's got a decent hard edge for an outside player. Good combination of run and carry, speed and good kicking skills. Could be a bit cleaner, though

Floyd is a late to rookie pick for mine, wouldn't select him with 39

Besides Jackosn

How many players are we going to collect, you would think if fogarty is available at 12 we will jump a that one.

Im thinking one other player on the list and maybe one or two rookies

I know it's not really 2017 related, but what is the obsession with Jack Hately? Watched a lot of footage of him recently and I really don't see a lot to get excited about. How is he even touted as a first rounder?

Rozee looks the much better prospect.

Besides Jackosn

How many players are we going to collect, you would think if fogarty is available at 12 we will jump a that one.

Im thinking one other player on the list and maybe one or two rookies
Fogarty at 12 would be awesome. 3 teams with 2 top 10 picks doesn't bode well for us though, you would think 1 of those would take the punt on him with their 2nd pick. Having said that he did his best to slide to us. Poor Under 18's campaign (by his standards), no combine, pre draft surgery... He's a team player...

To answer you question I'm 100% sure Jackson Edwards gets picked up in the national draft anymore? His draft stock seems to be going the way of Ben Jarman and Jonty Sharenberg. Wouldn't be surprised if the Crows run the Gauntlet of picking him up with a rookie draft selection.

Isn't it sad how we're scared of drafting Vic metro kids now because they might just piss off in three years' time anyway?
I am not, nor do I think that club is or should be.

Best available every time. Some will leave after 2-4 years, some after 6-8 and some will stay one club players.

Bicks Jeffcrowe Danger in Texas

Dear resident draft experts ;)

Care to share your top twelve power rankings please? Basically a list of the player you'd take at each pick, up until our actual pick, if we hypothetically had pick 1, pick 2... etc.

Hope this makes sense, and apologies if you've already provided this.

I see Carlton picking Fogarty at 10 if he still available and this board going into a meltdown! :D

Seriously, he fits with them so well. He can play in the forward line and in the in midfield and in time. Fast forward a few years and Blues would have the luxury of rotating Curnow and Fogarty through the forward line and midfield, keeping their opponents on the back foot for the entire game. Add to that Cripps and its starting to look pretty darn potent! :eek:

I see Carlton picking Fogarty at 10 if he still available and this board going into a meltdown! :D

Seriously, he fits with them so well. He can play in the forward line and in the in midfield and in time. Fast forward a few years and Blues would have the luxury of rotating Curnow and Fogarty through the forward line and midfield, keeping their opponents on the back foot for the entire game. Add to that Cripps and its starting to look pretty darn potent! :eek:
Agreed - Carlton will pummel us one day and it will be hard to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back