Who Is Going To Be YOUR Best Player From This Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon all three will be in your best 22 next year

Unlikely.

Higgins is the best chance, but has some stiff competition for a spot, Balta needs work, and even if he didn't, he and Miller would be competing for the same spot (and not exactly front of the line for it).

I don't know.
I doubt any will get games next year. Guys like Taranto and Powell-Pepper are unusual stepping straight into the ones.
Zac Langdon is the unknown to me. On wikipedia stats seems to have had a good year for Claremont, and he's more mature at 22. Against that both the WA clubs would have been well aware of him and didn't target him in a year where WC seemed to focus on the WAFL.

Unlikely.

Higgins is the best chance, but has some stiff competition for a spot, Balta needs work, and even if he didn't, he and Miller would be competing for the same spot (and not exactly front of the line for it).
Miller is a funny one. He could play FF for you guys (I wanted him as our Hooker replacement) and let Jack roam. But do you tinker with a winning formula?
I reckon Higgins replaces Castagna, and probably pretty early. He's an upgrade and once ready is a no brainer to play him.
Castagna reminds me of Colyer @ Essendon. We play him for pace but he has a case of the fumbles. The additions of Smith, Stringer and Saad freeing up McGrath does not bode well for him. The addition of Higgins likewise for Castagna.

Im reading through drafts and i seriously cannot a better draft from a reigning premier.

I don't know.
I doubt any will get games next year. Guys like Taranto and Powell-Pepper are unusual stepping straight into the ones.
Zac Langdon is the unknown to me. On wikipedia stats seems to have had a good year for Claremont, and he's more mature at 22. Against that both the WA clubs would have been well aware of him and didn't target him in a year where WC seemed to focus on the WAFL.
There is a trend of late to play 1st year kids that won't benefit from 2's experience.

We've had Parish and McGrath in recent years (and Hurley, Heppell and Daniher over the years).
Parish came 4th or 5th in the rising star and McGrath won it.

I reckon this draft will produce a few that will get named Rd.1
Cerra, LDU, Constable, Brayshaw, Dow, Kelly, Higgins.
Rayner may also get a look in with Brisbane.

Miller is a funny one. He could play FF for you guys (I wanted him as our Hooker replacement) and let Jack roam. But do you tinker with a winning formula?
I reckon Higgins replaces Castagna, and probably pretty early. He's an upgrade and once ready is a no brainer to play him.
Castagna reminds me of Colyer @ Essendon. We play him for pace but he has a case of the fumbles. The additions of Smith, Stringer and Saad freeing up McGrath does not bode well for him. The addition of Higgins likewise for Castagna.

Im reading through drafts and i seriously cannot a better draft from a reigning premier.

At this point, Higgins would be behind Bolton (and perhaps Stengle) as a small forward should Castagna be replaced (and that's assuming he got replaced by a similar 'type'). I can see Higgins going ahead in time, especially as he'll warrant more midfield minutes, but for now, there is a queue and he's not at the front. (I really think that for type, he was close to the last guy we wanted, but he slid so far we just couldn't say no).

Miller intrigues me. I don't know a hell of a lot about him, but he seems like an almost perfect fit for our needs...but at the same time I'm aware that players who slip that far in a weak draft must have some noteworthy limitations, so I think it's a case of cross the fingers and hope the development coaches can bring out his best.

There is a trend of late to play 1st year kids that won't benefit from 2's experience.

We've had Parish and McGrath in recent years (and Hurley, Heppell and Daniher over the years).
Parish came 4th or 5th in the rising star and McGrath won it.

I reckon this draft will produce a few that will get named Rd.1
Cerra, LDU, Constable, Brayshaw, Dow, Kelly, Higgins.
Rayner may also get a look in with Brisbane.
Fair enough
We often "blood" first year players through the year. I meant more first year players moving straight into the best 22.
I get teams like the Lions and Blues in development mode are more likely. Possibly the Lions more so because the NEAFL standard means it probably isn't as good as the VFL to develop youngsters.

At this point, Higgins would be behind Bolton (and perhaps Stengle) as a small forward should Castagna be replaced (and that's assuming he got replaced by a similar 'type'). I can see Higgins going ahead in time, especially as he'll warrant more midfield minutes, but for now, there is a queue and he's not at the front. (I really think that for type, he was close to the last guy we wanted, but he slid so far we just couldn't say no).

Miller intrigues me. I don't know a hell of a lot about him, but he seems like an almost perfect fit for our needs...but at the same time I'm aware that players who slip that far in a weak draft must have some noteworthy limitations, so I think it's a case of cross the fingers and hope the development coaches can bring out his best.
I watched Miller @ the combine testing and his ability to get the ball off the ground is good.
He marks good and his kicking is perfect. He could be a FF or a damaging CHB (not sure what he's like as a defender or intercept marker).
I was keen with our pick where we took Houlahan. Daniher (CHF), Miller (FF), Stewart (3rd) - good forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Miller @ the combine testing and his ability to get the ball off the ground is good.
He marks good and his kicking is perfect. He could be a FF or a damaging CHB (not sure what he's like as a defender or intercept marker).
I was keen with our pick where we took Houlahan. Daniher (CHF), Miller (FF), Stewart (3rd) - good forward line.

Yeah, good size and strength, tested well, has a decent highlight reel, so there is clearly reason to hope.

Being from Kalgoorlie, he's also supposedly had relatively little coaching (played Subi colts, but didn't train with them) which could be a good or a bad thing depending on what bad habits he has and how easily they can be fixed.

but at the end of the day, 62 other guys were chosen before him in a weak draft, so I'm not going to get ahead of myself on this one.

Big boy at 183 kgs.
ec9c32ed347cb9107b91399f82f431ec.jpg

Agree with this.
Had him @ 1 in my phantom drafts, but thought he'd go 2 cos Brisbane would take either of Rayner or Brayshaw. And Freo would still go LDU over Rayner.
Surprised the blues passed.

Was stoked when the Blues took Dow instead.
Almost happy for North.

Reckon all three will be in your best 22 next year
Higgins and Balta maybe, although Higgins is also up against Bolton who's had a years development already and showed some excellent signs when he was played, and Balta depends on whether the club wants to play him forward or back, if forward Griffiths will probably get first crack again as the second tall/ruck and in defence he'd be fighting it out for possibly Broads spot who's that 190+ defender who plays big or small.

I haven’t seen enough of Guelfi but plenty of Bombers seem to think he will end up our best. Sounds like he is the closest to being ready to play and may even get games this year but from going on what I’ve seen I think the Bezerker might end up the best from our class but he is a long term project who will spend a couple of years in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back