Training 2018 Pre Season (How many houses will go down?)

Who's your tip to have the most impressive pre season?

• Willy Rioli

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Daniel Venables

Votes: 59 30.3%
  • New Draftee

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Luke Shuey

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Elliot Yeo

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Scott Lycett

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Nic Naitanui

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Love it boys. Keep it up.

Interesting if Matty Allen can become a player.. how will we manage Brander, Vardy/Lycett, Mcinnes, Allen, Allen, Waterman all in the same EP side. Maybe Brander will be forced to play back

Seriously we are taking the total piss out of Freo here. They cant draft or develop a decent tall for 10 years and we have them springing up all over the place and dont know what to do with them all.

Trade for their Brayshaw?:D

heck me last year Simmo said 10 spots up for grabs in the pre season and that was clearly not the case come round 1 and the "back the boys in" and "runs on the board" tactics were then religiously employed. 3 Rucks and a super tall forward line is all but confirmed with his comment.

Is he a dumb campaigner. It's not that we have too many mids, it's we don't have any mids and forwards that can swap for a little bit. They're too one dimensional.

- Jake Waterman - looking like he has beefed up and sharp ready for action
View attachment 442886
above Jake flexing bare chested

noyphh.jpg

**** me last year Simmo said 10 spots up for grabs in the pre season and that was clearly not the case come round 1 and the "back the boys in" and "runs on the board" tactics were then religiously employed. 3 Rucks and a super tall forward line is all but confirmed with his comment.

Is he a dumb campaigner. It's not that we have too many mids, it's we don't have any mids and forwards that can swap for a little bit. They're too one dimensional.
It's ok mate. Everything will be ok

**** me last year Simmo said 10 spots up for grabs in the pre season and that was clearly not the case come round 1 and the "back the boys in" and "runs on the board" tactics were then religiously employed. 3 Rucks and a super tall forward line is all but confirmed with his comment.

And last year that was correct, Priddis and to a lessor extent Mitchell were one dimentional mids. Our forwards in Le cras, Hill and Cripps offered little midfield support.

Roll forward 12 months and the players that will come into the side include Venables, Ah chee, Rioli, Partington and Ryan. In the next few years add Petruccelle, Ainsworth and hopefully Brayshaw.

Duggan, Cole and Yeo provide defensive mids who can play roles back and spend time in the guts.

We are getting there.

And last year that was correct, Priddis and to a lessor extent Mitchell were one dimentional mids. Our forwards in Le cras, Hill and Cripps offered little midfield support.

Roll forward 12 months and the players that will come into the side include Venables, Ah chee, Rioli, Partington and Ryan. In the next few years add Petruccelle, Ainsworth and hopefully Brayshaw.

Duggan, Cole and Yeo provide defensive mids who can play roles back and spend time in the guts.

We are getting there.
but I want it now Daddy!

verucasalt.jpg

We are getting there.

Definitely getting there.

We just need to unearth some gun inside mids like Shuey who can win their own ball in congestion and execute with class.

Sheed will be get there, Yeo needs to train as a mid - but we need one of our recent draftees to really come on and breakout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are getting there.
What I heard Simmo saying is that we had too many mids in 2017 playing as a forward. The likes of Sheed, Partington, Mutimer, Redden, Priddis, etc are not really players with the right attributes to play in the attacking area.

Of the players being mentioned, Rioli and Ryan are true small forwards but will offer nothing to our midfield rotations. No drama - pretty clear based on their history. That will mean they need to have even better endurance so that the rotations are being used by the players who need the rest because they are playing on the ball and covering more ground. Not sure if we can have a lot of faith in either Rioli or Ryan in the endurance stakes just yet so both need to be fixing the endurance issue and making sure that that will be addressed over the summer. Not as if these are 18 year olds that are coming out of TAC or Colts.

In terms of Petruccelle and Brayshaw, I like some of their attributes but really not sure they will be knocking on the door in 12 months. If you expect that - you may be disappointed.

With a body like his he's already dangerous AF.
He don't need to be killing folks too.

No he's not, hes soft as heck. He hardly ever uses his physique to bust open packs or put people on thier ass and make them think twice about going near the footy when he's around, thats what he should be doing, just like Woosha did. Blokes walk taller when someone like Woosh is playing next to them.

Simpson literally says that he is liking the look of our small forwards and from that you interpret he's going tall?
Sounds like you've already got an opinion about what's going to happen and nothing will change that...why bother commenting?

No he's not, hes soft as ****. He hardly ever uses his physique to bust open packs or put people on thier ass and make them think twice about going near the footy when he's around, thats what he should be doing, just like Woosha did. Blokes walk taller when someone like Woosh is playing next to them.

Woosha played in a different era where running through the man was part of the job, can't do that as much these days.
I would say Hurn is one of the players who does it more than others, pretty sure he's been rubbed out a few times.

Hitting the man all the time takes a bit out of your body, look at Waters, he hit in harder than most and was done before 30.

Simpson literally says that he is liking the look of our small forwards and from that you interpret he's going tall?
Sounds like you've already got an opinion about what's going to happen and nothing will change that...why bother commenting?

Woosha played in a different era where running through the man was part of the job, can't do that as much these days.
I would say Hurn is one of the players who does it more than others, pretty sure he's been rubbed out a few times.

Hitting the man all the time takes a bit out of your body, look at Waters, he hit in harder than most and was done before 30.

You can still hit the contest hard and the player hard enough to do damage legally mate. Its only the off the ball and head high stuff thats gone from the old days. He doesnt do it enough for me.

Went to Lathlain Park and must say, I preferred Wembley. That said, the lay-out of the ovals at Lathlain were excellent. The club rooms are a long way off.

The morning started with Keys carer taking a nice photo of the two of us. Thought Dark Sharks might like to know what we really look like so he can drop in and say hello next time he attends
View attachment 442860
The club reps found a nice balcony for us close the the bathrooms since they recognised we might have a few incontinent issues. Pity Monocle was not able to get leave from Bethanie Beachside - something about Wednesday being the medication changeover day. Oh well.

The session started with a Simmo interview - explaining the number of training sessions, not the club call on when players return, need to be ready but not too early , la la la

View attachment 442880

So to the on-field bits.

JK spent the whole session away from the squad just running laps. Same thing he did last year so no issue.
NicNat was in with the main group and competed in everything. Looked strong.
Cripps and Yeo spent time away from the squad running laps. Not sure what is happening there.

Who has been doing their 45 a day?
Honourable mentions to the following:
- Jake Waterman - looking like he has beefed up and sharp ready for action
View attachment 442886
above Jake flexing bare chested
- Daniel Venables - looking much better than last year and starting to look more and more the Boots clone. DV18 is looking like he is the most skilled of his age group with bullet passes that stay low and direct to a target (JK says "yes please")
View attachment 442881
above Venables (I think)
- Rotham - he is still light but no where as light as he was this time last year and looked more at home in the squad
- Rioli - not so much that he being doing his 45 a day but more that he has resisted the turtles and looks about as lean as a Rioli will be
- M Allen looked really smooth and sleek on the track. His ball control and ball handling makes me think he is serious about the future and will be putting it out there
- Masten actually hit the contest for a couple of drills at top pace. He collected at pace, went to a sprint and then delivered. He may well have got the message that corralling is dead
- Tom Cole - he is still looking skinny but up close he is really developing great leg muscle definition. Talked with him walking back to the car park and he is aiming to get right for midfield time. Seems like a really decent guy.
- Vardy looks like a jarhead marine. Standard at the barber - high and tight, yes sir.
- Speaking of hair styles - Jackson has got rid of that bloody silly bob and looks more like a footballer

The first years
A few observations
- O Allen was included in some skills with the talls making me think he was drafted as a KPP and the talk of him being a mid is rubbish
View attachment 442885
above - Oscar saying let me play with the big boys not the mids
- Allen next to eMac makes him look like a genuine tall
- Ainsworth looks like he is serious about training. He was the one timing and pushing the quartet as to when times, break points, restarts, etc
- Hamish is only second behind Hurn with the dunny stump legs. He is thick set and parts of him look close to playing but he has some serious conditioning to get right first. Chances of playing AFL in 2018 look slim to me.
- England looks a runner and showed it in the junior tank build time.
Brander is no slouch in pace and may surprise some as a possible chance to play this year. His
body

View attachment 442882
above Hamish, Ainsworth, England and Brander
- Jack Petrucelle has the best defined calf muscles in a 1st year draftee than I could have imagined. He is also a decent size and shape. Physically he looks like he would be able to step up. Now needs to get the footy smarts right
- Tony Olango is bloody tall and skinny. He will need a few pre-seasons so be patient
View attachment 442887

I will leave it at that. There seemed to be a really good spirit at the track - even better than last year.

Thanks for the report.

Is there a chance that we can have a separate thread just for training reports?
Can be hard to trawl through all the trash to find these as they can get lost.

No he's not, hes soft as ****. He hardly ever uses his physique to bust open packs or put people on thier ass and make them think twice about going near the footy when he's around, thats what he should be doing, just like Woosha did. Blokes walk taller when someone like Woosh is playing next to them.

All due respect, but with changes to rules and tactics the game Worsfold played is nothing like today's game. Hurn wouldn't be available to play on a regular basis if he tried to emulate the #24.

AsterixTheGaul Keys

How did Mutimer look? I am hoping he has been working on his running.

Did they do any contested drills?
Can't say I saw much of Mutiner tbh but he did look a bit leaner than I remembered him being last season. Didn't do any asterix level calf scrutiny so that might be an incorrect view

No contested drills. It was a pretty light session and was more a dusting off the cobwebs day rather than a full blown session as you might expect for the first day back

For the main part they split into two groups - one on each oval - so there was half the squad well out of vision from where we were sitting. Mutimer was in the group on the far oval

Thanks for the report.

Is there a chance that we can have a separate thread just for training reports?
Can be hard to trawl through all the trash to find these as they can get lost.
Fair point

I'll get around to creating a new thread purely for training reports and any discussion can stay in here

Back