Strongest Player in the AFL - Pound for Pound

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Buckley used to do mid 150s but the only source I can find was BigFooty.

And I think Dane Swan was our strongest player for a while. Not sure what his actual number was though

Don’t think Buckley was every that high.
Swan was around the 145-150kg mark which is impressive given he avoided doing weights as much as possible.
Goldsack and Pendlebury were the biggest deadlifters (both around the 220kg mark with a trap bar)

Strength and Power are different things

And as a singular measure of either, the bench press is a good indicator of how well someone bench presses but not necessarily their overall upper body strength/Power.

Small guys can have an advantage at lifting weights because they don't have as far to lift them as others have pointed out.

Only certain types of lifts. Some are actually harder for short people. But one of the main ones that are easier is the bench press.

Only certain types of lifts. Some are actually harder for short people. But one of the main ones that are easier is the bench press.

There wouldn’t be too many gym lifts (if any) that would favour a taller athlete from a leverage stand point.
Taller athletes do have the advantage of being able to carry more muscle mass though (which is why all the all time lifting records are set by guys around 190-195cm; must be the optimal balance of mass and leverage)

Prime example that strength means nothing in AFL. Probably the biggest pea hearted player in the games history.

I don't think you know what "pea hearted" means. It does not mean the same as "not good at football".

I don't think you know what "pea hearted" means. It does not mean the same as "not good at football".
To me pea hearted in a football sense means lazy and soft as melted butter and lacking courage in a contest. I mean it’s like his playing against a 15 year old girl every time he’s on the field.

I don't know.
Wattsy could do reverse situps all night. With 3 bags full of shopping over his shoulder.
Full of Gucci & Prada (sorry only 2 I could think of) cravats :p
As for pound for pound strength in footy, i’m Going with Luke Breust.
Built like Bambi’s anorexic cousin, but he always seems to break tackles :thumbsu:

I'm not knocking the use of the exercise I'm sure the sports science guys know what they are doing that being said I'm fairly sure AFL players box squat because it reduces the chance of injury and nothing to do with them not needing to squat low.

I'm just saying that quoting lifting numbers for partial reps means nothing especially in this case where Viney is squatting onto an already high box with a plate thrown on for good measure.

Rob Jackson has them back squatting high primarily because it’s more transferable to the positions they need to be able to apply force during a game.
They also do front squats and lunges to train knee extension through full ROM
(Source: we bounce ideas off each other via Instagram)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like you are living vicariously through the muscly exploits of a footballer from the team you follow. Bit sad.
Just an observation, pal.

You reading too much into some harmless comments tells me you're not looking forward to watching a spoon quality team in 2018.

I get it and you have my sympathy. It won't be fun. Footy will give you zero pleasure for 5-10 years.

Just an observation, pal.

You reading too much into some harmless comments tells me you're not looking forward to watching a spoon quality team in 2018.

I get it and you have my sympathy. It won't be fun. Footy will give you zero pleasure for 5-10 years.
I have fun watching my team every year. Yet to see a spoon yet.

alot of these claims shouldn't be believed without a video.

Why? powerlifters in untested federations either cant or barely manage to put up some of these numbers.

Natural endurance athletes that dont train specifically for powerlifting arent putting up podium placing level numbers.

alot of these claims shouldn't be believed without a video.

Why? powerlifters in untested federations either cant or barely manage to put up some of these numbers.

Natural endurance athletes that dont train specifically for powerlifting arent putting up podium placing level numbers.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from but the all time unequipped bench records are as follows;
52kg class = 177.5kg
60kg class = 186.0kg
67.5kg class = 218.0kg
75kg class = 231.0kg
82.5kg class = 252.5kg
90kg class = 256.3kg
100kg class = 272.5kg
110kg class = 305.0kg
125kg class = 306.2kg
140kg class = 318.0kg
open class = 335kg

Even locally (and Australian lifters have historically been poor benchers) you would have needed the following to podium at the Arnolds this year
80kg class = 162.5kg (biggest bench was 202.5kg)
95kg class = 180kg (190kg)
110kg class = 210kg (230kg)
125kg class = 215kg (257.5kg)
open = 240kg (260kg)

Viney's lifts as reported in this thread are here:

This is an older video but you can see the Porp benching 127.5kg (dunno how much Tex is squatting exactly but looks like it's only 100-110kg unless they've got a different set of 25s for squats than the rest of the gym)

Person at 0:25 is benching 110kg+

@1:02 & 1:30 is 90kg

@1:10 using 40kg dumbbells (albeit through about 1/3 full ROM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdpL-MjDfg

i was referring to untested federations in australia like ProRaw.

https://arnoldsportsfestival.com.au/pro-raw-powerlifting-results/

Look at the 80kg division, vast majority were under 160kgs.

Also that Viney video looks like 140kg to me, 2 reds (20kg), 4 yellows (15kg) and 2 greens (10kgs) = 40kg + 60kg + 20kg +20kg bar = 140kg

That makes it a lot more believable.

The numbers I used were pulled from that same results sheet.
At 86-88kg Viney also has a 10kg bodyweight advantage over the 80kg lifters, not to mention how much you lose from a pause.

Also, the red plates are 25kg not 20kg.

For good measure here’s a drug tested 60kg female pausing 147.5kg

A 14 year old squatting 210kg

A 14 year old hang cleaning 145kg

I think you severely underestimate how much more gifted elite/professional athletes are than the vast majority of us amateur powerlifting plebs

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back