Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that a football club's concerns can be legitimate in this regard, if a player is consorting with high-profile criminals etc. Beyond that, it does seem a bit harsh to try and isolate a player from mates he's known for years, and it would probably be counter-productive as well.

In this case I don't think that the club is trying to banish JDG's mates, despite the reference to 'associations'.
I agree and it's the part of the statement that bothers me most.

I suspect that they are trying to say that he can't live like (nearly) every other 21 year old and also be a professional footballer at the same time. He needs to make a choice.

Maybe they mean Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom, Adam Oxley and Josh Thomas?
Or Marley Williams and co. Or only one of the above, l don’t know.We are just guessing on this, in how the club see it.

Last edited:

Seriously for a knowledgeable poster you are sometimes just a knob..mock indignation? It takes a certain amount of arrogance and ignorance to label people's opinion in that manner.

There was nothing personal about my response just a conversation. It was neither indignation nor mock. With that as a start, the rest of your post is not worth reading and i will leave you in a way you often do others....if that is what you got out of my post i will leave you too it.

Says the poster that pompously asked if I was commenting on how people should parent...

FWIW I realised that it was the wrong way to present my post and edited it accordingly almost 15 minutes before yours, but don’t let my annoyance at myself over that get in the way of your vent.

At least you have the conviction to call it as you see it as opposed to those that merely “liked” it.

Where did I say that??
Sorry thought that was what you were implying. On that basis I am not sure what you meant about asking me if it was my job to represent Collingwood.

Are you telling me you're privy to more info on JDG's behaviour over the past 12 months then the club is?

This drink driving incident is the straw that broke the camels back, a culmination of fcuk ups from a 21yr old male who has the opportunity to turn it all around, if he wants to commit to the life of an AFL player.
No

What are the other f ups that warrant the 20K etc. No one seems to know anything other he has a less that stellar attitude and application. Neither of those should involve a fine.

Maybe these measures will work. Think the argument against these measures is twofold:

Philosophical - the club, the employer, has over-reached its remit and impinged upon its employee's liberties - a grey area and open to debate. Becomes less grey when our own liberties are removed by an employer instead of the legal system. Whilst the legal system is imperfect, it will usually be fairer than a leadership group of football players or a corporate CEO. I think Jordan is a dickhead but I want his rights and my rights to always be defended.

Psychological - the club wants Jordan to change for his good and its good but the techniques they are using are not grounded in behavioural science. They have taken a low probability path. Jordan is more likely to develop as a person and maintain self-efficacy if he retains the positive aspects of his life i.e. playing elite football. Jordan currently has an 'immunity to change' - punishment, work experience, and charity are unlikely to unlock it. Sound psychological therapy has a much better chance but requires more patience and is less dramatic for public consumption.

Think the above may be consistent with the core of Gone Critical's views. If I screw-up in life, I want someone like him in my corner, not people dishing out 'tough love'.

Hugs Jasper :rainbow:

Actually, they are. On the continuum at 1 end you positively reinforce the desired behaviour, at the other end you punish undesirable behaviours. While the response to this recent incident is weighted heavily toward the punishing undesirable behaviour end of that continuum I'd like to assume that there has been liberal doses of rewarding appropriate behaviours as well, from simple pats on the back and basic encouragements to access to sponsors products and opportunities to earn additional income representing the club. Has DeGoey done anything like the Footy Show for instance?

Happy for anyone in the know to confirm that:

1. punitive responses are the only behaviour change processes being used by the club; and
2. there hasn't previously also been liberal doses of rewards doled out.

And yes, you do tend to get more sustainable behaviour change using a carrot rather than a stick. Sadly though, there are times when the carrot alone isn't sufficient to get the job done. The challenge is in getting the levels right and ensuring any punishments when required are appropriately targeted.

Hopefully people like Adam Deacon, Nick Maxwell, Vicki Pratt, and Sally Matthews are all over it in their respective roles at the club.

Said a couple of days ago - (my post was deleted) - that maybe not a lot more that is of real value can be said on this thread - I think that's still the case. The squabble factor far outweighs any useful info here
Actually it’s been quite civil mostly so far, enjoyed the different points of view

Actually it’s been quite civil mostly so far, enjoyed the different points of view

It has but not sure this incident or the clubs handling of it merits the 70-80 pages dedicated to it thus far.

he says adding yet another post....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be silly to draw conclusions from a moment frozen in time, but I'm gonna do it anyway! JDG might have just dropped a nasty larger bomb, or maybe the photographer is 20 mins late, or making them say poxy things to cue smiles, but another interpretation is that Crispy and Big Cox ain't digging JDG playing with Peter Moore's hair. And Peter is more than filthy about it. Tommy thinks it's relatively amusing though, and/or he falls into the 'not outraged' part of the squad. Again, quite silly to read into this image, but it doesn't look like Disneyland in that shot.
Just like I could draw a conclusion you are older than Darcy given you've called him Peter twice:)

It has but not sure this incident or the clubs handling of it merits the 70-80 pages dedicated to it thus far.

he says adding yet another post....
It just shows how much we value Jordan to our team going forward. But wether the club has done or not the right thing for the club, players and Jordan will come down to ones point of view on this. Time will tell

I hope it is okay to post, i am genuinely interested and enjoying the discussion... I think perhaps the most important person is Brent Macaffer, the PDM who in many ways should know of JDGs off-field life holistically. You all will know Brent better than I but I find it baffling when clubs appoint past players without more than a few day certificate into a role that is essentially social work. The Aust Athletes' Alliance recommend a qualified worker for the PDM role. This scenario is incredibly difficult to negotiate given so many competing interests/parties, yet in some ways, it is those close who really can support JDG.

Mate we must be missing something here.
I understand you are saying different alcohol readings impact people differently which is quite obvious (size etc).

What I don’t understand is the relevance in this situation as it relates to JDG. Are you saying he didn’t feel drunk so it was ok for him to feel he could drive?

I’m not having a go, just trying to understand what you are saying.
Ok I will explain it again and how the conversation came about.
A poster said that he should not be getting pissed at this time of the year.
I pointed out that 0,9 does not necessarily mean a person is pissed. Just that, nothing more.
My comment was not in relation to driving or to Jordan. Forget those things.
I was merely stating that 0,9 does not necessarily mean a person is pissed.

It’s a very serious offence, IMO. Far too many people take the responsibility of driving for granted.
You have every right to consider it a very serious offence. I have no issue with that. But no matter how we choose to think of it as individuals doesn't change the fact of what our law defines it as.
It is a traffic offence. Using emotional and sensationalist language (not referring to you) doesn't change that fact.

Ok I will explain it again and how the conversation came about.
A poster said that he should not be getting pissed at this time of the year.
I pointed out that 0,9 does not necessarily mean a person is pissed. Just that, nothing more.
My comment was not in relation to driving or to Jordan. Forget those things.
I was merely stating that 0,9 does not necessarily mean a person is pissed.

Sorry mate, could you re-phrase that?

And so that gives you the chance to belt him hard. I'm kinda in favour of punishments being fair and metered out for real offences not a less than perfect attitude. $10 K is just a crazy amount, totally unjustified.
GC
I am not a moderator but for your patient's good I am giving you a day off to get over his subject

Sorry mate, could you re-phrase that?
giphy.gif

I resent having to reply to Pauline Hanson, but I'll explain anyway because I'm a trooper.

My long-windedness is a disease, a malady I've suffered for years, and I admire the prose of those who don't suffer from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back