2017-18 FA Cup

Who wins the FA Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate the FA Cup. To me though the league cup is pointless.
For the bigger clubs playing in europe its a hinderance potentially adding 5 more games to the season . The teams the big teams put out usually indicate their interest or lack of . Love FA cup when the smaller clubs and non league clubs can have moment in the sun.

The real problem for me is when even the smaller teams put out weakened sides because they are more concerned about premier league survival. Then it just becomes a farce - almost like a reserve team competition.

This is an interesting article on the decline of the competition

http://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/Blog/FAcup.html

I've never had an issue with clubs using their entire squad and keeping people playing, I do have an issue with teams not going out there trying to win though. I'm convinced one of the reasons we went down in 15/16 was that we had a large squad for Europa and LC/FAC and then went out of most comps very early, so players became unhappy with not playing, so I'll always be of the belief that rotation is healthy in Cup competitions, but again, it comes more down to mentality and attitude of the manager.

I've never had an issue with clubs using their entire squad and keeping people playing, I do have an issue with teams not going out there trying to win though. I'm convinced one of the reasons we went down in 15/16 was that we had a large squad for Europa and LC/FAC and then went out of most comps very early, so players became unhappy with not playing, so I'll always be of the belief that rotation is healthy in Cup competitions, but again, it comes more down to mentality and attitude of the manager.
There’s an argument for that, certainly in the earlier rounds. It all comes down to money though I guess, and staying in the PL or qualifying for the CL just massively trumps winning the cup in financial terms. Will be interesting to see what team Swansea field when they play us, considering they are right back in the thick of a relegation fight.

I would love the fa cup to have a champions league spot up for grabs. I would also like to see all clubs who qualified for European competitions excluded from the league cup.
That would be nuts. You’d get Sutton or Woking fluking a FA Cup and earning more in CL money than they’ve made in their existence.

That would be nuts. You’d get Sutton or Woking fluking a FA Cup and earning more in CL money than they’ve made in their existence.

How often has a Championship, let alone League One/Two team won the FA Cup in the last.. 20 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what you're taking issue with? Or did you throw your thought out on a discussion board not expecting it to generate discussion? :think::think:
Just not interested in arguments with you anymore :)

Just not interested in arguments with you anymore :)

Right..

I wasn't arguing, was just responding to your point. Again, not sure you understand the basic concept of a discussion board.

EDIT: In fact, you carrying on like a wally is what has turned this into a back-and-forth.

Other than Portsmouth and Wigan the other winners were the usual suspects

Especially if there was a CL spot on the line even more likely for the big clubs to take it seriously.

Ah yes, the CL place in the FA Cup. One major problem: Under UEFA rules, only the top ranked finishers (up to four) in a national league of at least eight teams can qualify for CL. The only exception is the Europa League.

National FAs are allowed to allocate Europa places as they like... for example, guaranteeing a 2nd Tier Belgan team a spot in European Competition.

If England decided to give out a Europa place for the most disciplined team, they are allowed to do that.

Back