2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s everyone’s thoughts on bells chance of playing this season?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on bells chance of playing this season?

I think he'll be in the round 1 team and won't get much leeway if he starts failing to justify his spot.

Mid time or mainly just fwd time?

His clearance work has actually been quite good. I reckon he'll spend a good amount of time in the middle.

Interesting how quickly things can change. I didn’t have Bell anywhere near my
Round 1 side all summer but he’s got to be in the mix now.

We tend to remember the worst of some players and ignore the fact that they have demonstrated they can perform at the required level.

Still not sure he’s a better medium term option than the likes of Matho or Keays but I’d lean towards him for round 1 at this point if we want inside muscle. Would want to perform though.

We tend to remember the worst of some players and ignore the fact that they have demonstrated they can perform at the required level.

Still not sure he’s a better medium term option than the likes of Matho or Keays but I’d lean towards him for round 1 at this point if we want inside muscle. Would want to perform though.

I think Bell really struggled to play a game plan that wasn't natural to him. Style has completely changed so it's possible he could get back to best career form which would be pretty handy.

I think Bell really struggled to play a game plan that wasn't natural to him. Style has completely changed so it's possible he could get back to best career form which would be pretty handy.
That's true. We were using him more as a medium forward when his best year was as a half forward. His disposal isn't good enough to play exclusively as a hff, but combining his outside workrate with more time at stoppages and an apparent improvement in his contested work could give us something we lack in both departments. Mathieson clearly doesn't work hard enough both ways (or possibly still can't) and Keays doesn't seem to get enough of it at afl level.

That's true. We were using him more as a medium forward when his best year was as a half forward. His disposal isn't good enough to play exclusively as a hff, but combining his outside workrate with more time at stoppages and an apparent improvement in his contested work could give us something we lack in both departments. Mathieson clearly doesn't work hard enough both ways (or possibly still can't) and Keays doesn't seem to get enough of it at afl level.

I'd say Matho runs quite hard but hasn't quite got the match fitness yet. Keays on the other hand doesn't really play that inside mid role in the 1s so it is hard to say if he can't at senior level.

If he plays like he did in the preseason he's basically a slightly better Rischitelli in his B&F year.

It feels like damning with faint praise now, but getting your hands on the ball and thumping it forward for it to be intercepted is arguably better than losing it at the coalface in the first place. Add Bell's extra size allowing him to clear a path more successfully and he can hold his position in the team.

Not that it'll do any favours for my enjoyment of watching us play, given how frustrated I used to get at Rischitelli's aimless kicks forward though...

It feels like damning with faint praise now, but getting your hands on the ball and thumping it forward for it to be intercepted is arguably better than losing it at the coalface in the first place.
Though Hawthorns game plan was about intercepting those hacks out of congestion and then cutting through the opposition with accurate kicks. Geelong to an extent too. So I would argue the hack forward is really old style footy.

There is no two ways about it, Bell has done fantastically well to come back from the injury, but to stay in the team he needs to improve his kicking.

Though Hawthorns game plan was about intercepting those hacks out of congestion and then cutting through the opposition with accurate kicks. Geelong to an extent too. So I would argue the hack forward is really old style footy.

There is no two ways about it, Bell has done fantastically well to come back from the injury, but to stay in the team he needs to improve his kicking.

Being long term out with an injury could actually benefit some players. When you can't join the main group but are in the active recovery stage you get to work on a limited number of activities, say not doing drills that involve agility and contact work means you can spend the time on kicking and goal accuracy. As long as the player really puts in effort they can be improved when they do return and this may (hopefully) be true in Bell's case. I'd love to see him grabbing the pill, using those ridiculous shoulders to charge through a pack and getting off a decent kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the chaos ball could well do the trick against St Kilda at Etihad though with Cameron, Christensen, Taylor and possibly Rayner to collect up forward.

Yep. Quick ball movement and a mobile forwardline is our best hope for kicking a winning score.

He will however at 27. I personally don’t rate his skill level by foot . I would prefer to develop young talent give them a shot.
With the long term view in mind.

There will still be plenty of youngsters getting a game. Clugg, Berry, Rayner, etc.

I think the chaos ball could well do the trick against St Kilda at Etihad though with Cameron, Christensen, Taylor and possibly Rayner to collect up forward.
Didn't work against GC with those players. Just hacking it forward isn't gonna do Hippy any favours, let alone the smalls. Thats why l don't mind Bastinac in the team, always a precise kick into the f50

It will be interesting to see how the forward line gel in the early parts of the year.
A lot of new faces added to the mix this year in comparison to last.
Bundy, Robbo, Bell, Cameron and Rayner, all new faces to be added in. Might take a little while to get used to playing with each other.
They have had the full pre-season but nothing like games to sort out what is and isn't going to work.

Didn't work against GC with those players. Just hacking it forward isn't gonna do Hippy any favours, let alone the smalls. Thats why l don't mind Bastinac in the team, always a precise kick into the f50
Difference is Etihad is fast and dry.

As long as the chaos ball doesn't hit the Saints on the tit.

There will still be plenty of youngsters getting a game. Clugg, Berry, Rayner, etc.

Then play them absolutely.all for it , the nex gen of lions need as many games into them as possible. I do not rate Bell at all and most importantly I believe,will not be around quite possibly next time we play finals.Bell would not be Nunan’s first choice due to skill ( Nunan had a ruthless pursuit in excellence but unfortunately no money to achieve it) and he certainly is not mine. I made a comment that him and fews others should be given notice and the savings pumped into seasoned A grade talent to act as role models to further enhance and accelerate the young ones development. Want to win a premiership don’t wast time on players with no value going forward.

If he plays like he did in the preseason he's basically a slightly better Rischitelli in his B&F year.

It feels like damning with faint praise now, but getting your hands on the ball and thumping it forward for it to be intercepted is arguably better than losing it at the coalface in the first place. Add Bell's extra size allowing him to clear a path more successfully and he can hold his position in the team.

Not that it'll do any favours for my enjoyment of watching us play, given how frustrated I used to get at Rischitelli's aimless kicks forward though...
I thought he looked his best in the preseason when he was able to grab the ball, stand up and feed a handball out. Kicking, not so much.

Then play them absolutely.all for it , the nex gen of lions need as many games into them as possible. I do not rate Bell at all and most importantly I believe,will not be around quite possibly next time we play finals.Bell would not be Nunan’s first choice due to skill ( Nunan had a ruthless pursuit in excellence but unfortunately no money to achieve it) and he certainly is not mine. I made a comment that him and fews others should be given notice and the savings pumped into seasoned A grade talent to act as role models to further enhance and accelerate the young ones development. Want to win a premiership don’t wast time on players with no value going forward.

Bell is a C grader. If the younger player (Bailey, Starcevich, Matho, Keays, etc.) is any good they’ll overtake him. For now there’s no harm in creating some competition for spots and making them earn it. Similarly with Bewick, Frost, Bastinac and even guys like Mayes or Cameron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back