Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching the Crows game on BT Sport and wondering...does Jason Bennett have any background in cricket?
Adam Collins has also impressed me. Is he tied up with any TV station?

Bennett's just a good alround broadcaster - he's wasted at 7 at the moment.

Collins is highly rated. People like Geoff Lemon and Jarrod Kimber would be interesting voices. Brydon Coverdale (Cricinfo writer) is already employed by 7 to do the Chase - I wonder if he'll do some work for them as well.

You'd imagine Ed Cowan will get picked up somewhere - he already does a lot of special comments on Fox Sports when they need a cricket opinion. Would have thought he'd almost certainly be on the ABC as well.

Brad Hogg's doing some good work on the IPL coverage - he'd be good for the Big Bash.

I reckon there's a chance that the Grade Cricketer boys will get to do some sort of alternate commentary on Fox as a yellow button option, kind of like the Alternative Commentary Collective have been doing for the New Zealand broadcast.

I would love JB in the central commentary position- honestly I think he is great. But has anyone ever been kissed on the dick more leaves 9 joins 7 and the cricket follows!

Mark Taylor
Ricky Pointing
Isha Gua
Simon Katich
Mark Waugh
Kerry o’Keefe

Never have to sit through some shitty merchandise sale again.

Thank *.

I'm interested to see how 7 manage the test cricket and Tennis this summer with only 1 HD Channel

The Sydney test will clash with a lead-up tournament, Hopman Cup and probably Brisbane. No one really watches that. By the time the Australian Open starts Test cricket will be well and truly over.

Glad to have more sport on Fox over the Summer. Excited that they will be providing their own commentators as well. Gerrard Whateley as the face of Cricket would be great.

God no thanks. I'm only now willing to go back to ABC Grandstand now that Whateley has left. He's not a great cricket commentator and frankly I've always got the impression that he's just not that into cricket.

The Sydney test will clash with a lead-up tournament, Hopman Cup and probably Brisbane. No one really watches that. By the time the Australian Open starts Test cricket will be well and truly over.

God no thanks. I'm only now willing to go back to ABC Grandstand now that Whateley has left. He's not a great cricket commentator and frankly I've always got the impression that he's just not that into cricket.
2 tests after the Sydney one next summer. Cricket will be on HD though - tennis will be the one shunted. Given it’s the last year 7 have it I’d imagine it’ll have a budget feel to it.

I’ve had that feeling about whately too re cricket although I think he’s far from a bad caller.

I’m Rapt with the Deal.Foxtel does sport well and Ch 7 & Kerry Stokes was not just going to lose the Tennis and not get the cricket.
Time for Change and lets see how it all works.Ch 7 & Foxtel do the AFL well so why not the cricket.

I have been thinking for a while Foxtel could be dying off. Anyone an expert in the area have an opinion?

There's a 5 week wait right now if you want to get Foxtel installed due to to unprecedented demand.

Pretty low I'd say.

They're locked in for the next 6 summers now but sheesh, after that their value will drop significantly you'd think. But apparently they make the ICC heaps of money so yeah, it's strange.

The ICC only makes money from its own events. Any money made from bilaterals go to the home board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love JB in the central commentary position- honestly I think he is great. But has anyone ever been kissed on the dick more leaves 9 joins 7 and the cricket follows!

Just shows JB knew something was brewing and one step ahead.
As with all these type of things like football going from 7 to 9 or 10 and back again, there will be some commentators shift over too. Will be glad to see the back of Mark Nicholas. Go stale very quickly with him as host.

I think it was the last rights negotiations. Where 9 had to find that backers to stay afloat to even have enough money to pay for the rights

I’m glad fox have got the bbl back on their network. 10s coverage was woeful
Ten made the Big Bash. Hopefully CA aren't that ******* stupid that they don't realise how important free-to-air is to success. If they shunt things off the Fox, they can expect less money in six years' time.
just get Foxtel Sports. Only $39 a month for HD. Im enjoying watching all the F1 races, NBA, every AFL game.
interesting use of the word 'only'. I'm neither poor nor swimming in cash, but with two kids, one salary, mortgage, bills, Netflix, Apple Music etc, decisions need to be made; $39 is three times what I pay for Netflix. If they offers streaming option for $20, I'd consider it, but I'd consider $39 too much given how often I would use it.

Ten made the Big Bash. Hopefully CA aren't that ******* stupid that they don't realise how important free-to-air is to success. If they shunt things off the Fox, they can expect less money in six years' time.

interesting use of the word 'only'. I'm neither poor nor swimming in cash, but with two kids, one salary, mortgage, bills, Netflix, Apple Music etc, decisions need to be made; $39 is three times what I pay for Netflix. If they offers streaming option for $20, I'd consider it, but I'd consider $39 too much given how often I would use it.
foxtel made the big bash. 10 made it terrible. Remember the celebrity crowd catcher. To go with the delays of broadcasts because they wanted to show the project which no on watches

foxtel made the big bash. 10 made it terrible. Remember the celebrity crowd catcher. To go with the delays of broadcasts because they wanted to show the project which no on watches
Nobody cared about the Big Bash until it was on free to air every night. It was a nothing competition on Fox. Let's hope it doesn't become one again.

Lots of sports take the cash from Fox only to become irrelevant because a large proportion of the population can't watch it anymore. Think rugby union.

Nobody cared about the Big Bash until it was on free to air every night. It was a nothing competition on Fox. Let's hope it doesn't become one again.

Lots of sports take the cash from Fox only to become irrelevant because a large proportion of the population can't watch it anymore. Think rugby union.
Did you even watch it when it was on fox? If no one cared about it when it was on that network. Why did the fta stations scramble for it. Foxtel has it for nearly 10 years and it grew and grew. It was getting crowds of 80k to Games. Then they went to city based league

Did you even watch it when it was on fox? If no one cared about it when it was on that network. Why did the fta stations scramble for it. Foxtel has it for nearly 10 years and it grew and grew. It was getting crowds of 80k to Games. Then they went to city based league

Going by the ridiculously low price 10 paid for the rights I don't know if thats entirely accurate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back