Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm completely perplexed as to how anyone thinks Foxtel had a contribution to the popularity of the bbl.

Yeah the BBL really only took off after Ten got the rights to it, I thought Ten did a great job with it and it's a shame they've lost the rights.

Ten did a better job of covering AFL than Ch7 have done too, it's just a pity they don't have the money to match the other FTA stations so just end up with the less popular sports like rugby union or motor racing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My takehomes from the new deal are:

* It’s disappointing to see the end of an era at 9
* Without commentary, 40 years of experience in cricket broadcasting will go to waste and we could be set for a bad experience on 7. Watching the BBL on 10, they score incorrectly or miss replays occasionally, so you can only imagine what will happen on 7.
* Foxtel can follow the cricket all year round which is an incentive for me to get Pay TV, as well as the other sports. There might even be a 24/7 cricket channel!!
* The Sheffield Shield Final will be on TV which is great
* Obviously no one cares about ODI’s anymore, certainly i dont
* A full home and away BBL will not be good for the game at all unless it is played in the same timeframe, it gets tiring after a few weeks already.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why don't you mention the pints of beer you drink out on the weekend here as 'expenses'.

Peddling tired stereotypes doesn't really add much. Surely you can appreciate that people are disappointed that broadcasters and sports organisations are in cahoots to make further profits at the expense of many lower class people, which encompasses a large percentage of their audience. It's biting the hand that feeds you.

My takehomes from the new deal are:

* It’s disappointing to see the end of an era at 9
* Without commentary, 40 years of experience in cricket broadcasting will go to waste and we could be set for a bad experience on 7. Watching the BBL on 10, they score incorrectly or miss replays occasionally, so you can only imagine what will happen on 7.
* Foxtel can follow the cricket all year round which is an incentive for me to get Pay TV, as well as the other sports. There might even be a 24/7 cricket channel!!
* The Sheffield Shield Final will be on TV which is great
* Obviously no one cares about ODI’s anymore, certainly i dont
* A full home and away BBL will not be good for the game at all unless it is played in the same timeframe, it gets tiring after a few weeks already.

they have said there will be a cricket channel, im happy about that, the mrs not so much

Yeah the BBL really only took off after Ten got the rights to it, I thought Ten did a great job with it and it's a shame they've lost the rights.

Ten did a better job of covering AFL than Ch7 have done too, it's just a pity they don't have the money to match the other FTA stations so just end up with the less popular sports like rugby union or motor racing.
I wish they"d end up with motor racing. Because of Lachie Murdoch, I have to watch F1 at a gaming venue.
I keep forgetting that any records from the previous T20 state comp are null and void, and only BBL records matter now.
Exactly. Apparently the massive crowds and good tv ratings didn’t happen before the league format happened
That may be the case. But it doesn't take away the fact that the bbl became relevant once 10 started broadcasting it.

With Foxtel having a stand alone channel. They should be showing 1 shield game a round

Definitely, watching some of the streams is really annoying, especially the MCG and WACA ones. This way theyll have have so much more cricket on almost every day, wall to wall coverage.

Surely 10 will have to go after the A-league now, and try and broadcast every game. There is a fair chunk of the population who would love to have soccer on FTA, what other option do they have anyway

Surely 10 will have to go after the A-league now, and try and broadcast every game. There is a fair chunk of the population who would love to have soccer on FTA, what other option do they have anyway

A-League? :huh: Do you want 10 to be killed off?

The Premier League? Yes! The A-League? No, no, no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back