2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong may be interesting today... Weather and twilight timeslot. Only dropped beneath 29,928 once last year, that being 24,909 against port. Only thing going for it is the first home game for the year. I think anything about 28k will be good.

30,900 at Ethihad. A good crowd given conditions outside and two terrible losses heading into this week. Last year Essendon drew 34,000 on a fine Saturday night so it’s about right.
Yeah, it was about what I hoped it'd be. Thought there was a chance it could be every ordinary.

Hard to tell what the crowd at the MCG is. I'm fairly sure it's closer to 40k than the expected 50k. The Southern Stand is very sparse.

As we expected, West Coast look like they are going to challenge Adelaide for being the best drawing home side in the competition. Great crowd last night.

Yeah, it was about what I hoped it'd be. Thought there was a chance it could be every ordinary.

Hard to tell what the crowd at the MCG is. I'm fairly sure it's closer to 40k than the expected 50k. The Southern Stand is very sparse.

As we expected, West Coast look like they are going to challenge Adelaide for being the best drawing home side in the competition. Great crowd last night.

MCG is nowhere near 50K

Geelong may be interesting today... Weather and twilight timeslot. Only dropped beneath 29,928 once last year, that being 24,909 against port. Only thing going for it is the first home game for the year. I think anything about 28k will be good.

looks pretty full to me

30,900 at Ethihad. A good crowd given conditions outside and two terrible losses heading into this week. Last year Essendon drew 34,000 on a fine Saturday night so it’s about right.

Low crowds happen and thats a low crowd considering ur playing in doors no wind or rain and playing the top team.
As like our game yesterday it was low too but weather played a massive part more so as not hidden away from the elements but the point im really trying to make here is which i might add a lot of interstaters especially SA dont get is we have choice 17 games choice to watch our teams.
This whole round in Melbourne looks relatively low but thats life it happens.

Next week Rich v melb 85-90K and Ess V Pies 90K+ will restore the big crowds for the round, but im not sure why everyone has a hissy fit if theirs a low crowd with oh ur membership tally is this and why didnt u get 50 or 60K blah blah blah, gopies notorious for this and i for one glad hes booted out of here.

At the G i assume?

Why does it matter norm? RD 1 after ur premiership should get u big numbers.

Look as stated on the previous post every team has its big games and lowish attendance games, not sure why u and ur mate gopies are always on the attack. And ive seen it especially against Richmond luckily wookie moved most of that crap over to the rich v coll thread where funnily enough you both have continued your rant and attack.

Dees conspiring to ruin this Anzac eve crowd for the Tigers

I was hoping they would win but they are playing pretty bad. I still think it will be biggish even with the loss they in all likely should come out and us being top 4 will bring our fans in big numbers as the away team. Im hoping 85-90K weather permitting but if it hits 80K+ that would still be a great crowd.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does it matter norm? RD 1 after ur premiership should get u big numbers.

Look as stated on the previous post every team has its big games and lowish attendance games, not sure why u and ur mate gopies are always on the attack. And ive seen it especially against Richmond luckily wookie moved most of that crap over to the rich v coll thread where funnily enough you both have continued your rant and attack.
Our supporter base almost tradionally avoids Ethiad, also, Port are one of the lower drawing interstate clubs in Melbourne, Brisbane would be one of the highest.

I have no issue with yesterdays crowd though, was horrendous weather for football.

Every club has this. 50% soft supporters. Weather was terrible for 2-3 hours just before the game. Those softies were left embarrassed after the game was played in sunshine which appeared at 2pm :cool:

You must not have gone. It swung between rain and dry all game.

If you wanna be taken seriously, stop making s**t up

Well dont talk like your team are the big dogs when adelaide had 45k in the same if not worse conditions. West coast get over 50k against gold coast. You guys rely on opposition support to bolster your* numbers at games

I try to be impartial, and i will say the weather was horrid. If my old man bailed, i was 50:50

I had walked my dogs in the morning, and it was gale force winds for 2 hrs. Wanted to mow my lawns, but bailed, which was good because the rains came 15mins later

Not the worst ive seen match day, bit enough for a sane person with foxtel to say "* it"

I try to be impartial, and i will say the weather was horrid. If my old man bailed, i was 50:50

I had walked my dogs in the morning, and it was gale force winds for 2 hrs. Wanted to mow my lawns, but bailed, which was good because the rains came 15mins later

Not the worst ive seen match day, bit enough for a sane person with foxtel to say "**** it"

I took half a dozen family members who had never been to games this weekend. One in Broadford on Saturday and to the MCG today. My son asked me if there would be over 60k there and I assured him there should be as only RL fans don't go to games because of the weather. :)

Jokes aside though, they had a very good time at both games and enjoyed them in different ways. The local footy was obviously much more in your face and they felt like they were part of the action whereas the Hawks v Demons game gave them a much better understanding of how the game flows and an idea of the levels of fitness you need to run around a ground like the MCG.

They were pretty shocked at how the game turned, but I suggested something even as simple as missing a set shot from straight out in front can lift another side which I thought Hawthorn did. They'll leave Melbourne just a little bit wiser on what it takes to play the game and appreciate even in front of a smaller than expected crowd the game can still generate lots of noise and excitement, and enjoyment even f you don't barrack for either team.

You could argue that Richmond have about 30,000 hard core supporters that will go all the time rain hail or shine and the rest are either fair weather or band wagon fans.
For a club that has just on a flag after decades playing on their home ground for a certain win the crowd is poor even considering the weather.
Would be interesting to see the crowd figures for our home games against Richmond during our premiership era, pretty sure we were getting bigger crowds back then. Although the weather was s**t before the game, I had stupidly agreed to meet a Port Melbourne supporting mate at the Holden Centre before his game then go to the cricketers to meet up with fellow Lions fans but was soaking so hard I had to cover my eyes just to see, ended up walking straight to the G, lucky I like to stand at the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back