AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes a new player needs a definitive moment to bring the player to his new fans and signal the past is gone. The goal and crowd high 5 was it. He's a don now.

Thought he might have handballed to Guelfi running back though after the kid made the tackle to gift the goal. Would have been a ripper moment

After Daniher last week, the last thing we needed was a handball near goal when a kick at goal would have sufficed. :straining:

He creates free men, as so many of them come to try and tackle him, then he just hands it off to one for a goal, or kicks it himself.
Love it. Great 1v1(or 2) player.

I still believe in turning the Jake into a mid. The time frame is what we've gotten wrong. One preseason doesn't make a mid, but if he trains that way over time it will increase his effectiveness as a forward regardless. His forward craft doesn't really need work, but he will make gains if he improves his tank.

I still believe in turning the Jake into a mid. The time frame is what we've gotten wrong. One preseason doesn't make a mid, but if he trains that way over time it will increase his effectiveness as a forward regardless. His forward craft doesn't really need work, but he will make gains if he improves his tank.

This is fair and I think that we probably need to look at it the same way we would with a younger player.

Get him into a consistent run of form doing what he does well and then add the other part of the game that we want from him (i.e. the midfield minutes).

Even if he 'doesn't have the tank' to be a midfielder he's struggle to run out game in a way that makes me wonder whether he has really been fit enough (or whether we've carried him as we would carry any player of his quality and baggage, etc).

Maybe add a bursts in the centre square each quarter (i.e. literally just have him contest the bounce and the phase of play that immediately follows) and leave it at that for now.

A positive of changing the structure around Stringer is that it might make us more inclined to add Laverde into the side in place of Green which would give us a bit more flexibility in terms of midfield rotations, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old mate giving Jake the high 10 did the awkward try-to-grab-their hands trick. Mate, just go with the high 10.
Older mate next to him left hanging and does the subtle change to cheer instead

And this is why the thread title is too much too soon.
Thread titles reflect the conversation going on within the thread at any given time, rightly or wrongly that was the tone of the thread, and was more relevant than whether or not he was poked in the eye a week ago. It's a direct quote from one of the posts following the game (as titles often are), I think from Runk.

If you have a better one feel free to suggest it and tag a mod.

Thread titles reflect the conversation going on within the thread at any given time, rightly or wrongly that was the tone of the thread, and was more relevant than whether or not he was poked in the eye a week ago. It's a direct quote from one of the posts following the game (as titles often are), I think from Runk.

If you have a better one feel free to suggest it and tag a mod.
Have to learn how to tag first. Can do one of these though :cool:

Have to learn how to tag first. Can do one of these though :cool:
if you type @ and then start typing their username it should come up with a drop down list. If it's easy to spell you can just type it but I usually use the drop down so I don't accidentally tag the wrong person... e.g. Jade's instead of Jade :p

If he's going to slot goals from the boundary with drop punts like yesterday I have no problem leaving him up there.

Not many players in our team or the comp even would be kicking drop punts from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back