Scandal Port Adelaide Player SPP Charged With Inappropriate Contact

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know what specific action constitutes "Inappropriate contact with a female"

KT would not describe it and the AFL does not seem to want to.

Going forward how can a player know how to interact with a female without being indicted with this charge from AFL House.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Simple - ask for consent first!

Simple - ask for consent first!

This is what is possibly very disappointing from Sam, you can understand it if they are dancing together he may touch her briefly when they are dancing or talking between songs or going to get a drink at the bar, but if she was dancing with her friends and he is touching her out of nowhere that is really shithouse behaviour.

This is what is very disappointing from Sam, you can understand it if they are dancing together he may touch her briefly when they are dancing or talking between songs or going to get a drink at the bar, but if she was dancing with her friends and he is touching her out of nowhere that is really shithouse behaviour.
Yes, unfortunately some people behave badly when drunk.

Just glad this saga is finally over & hope lessons have been learnt by everyone - SPP, PAFC & AFL as to best handle these cases.

Question was posed had SPP just come out early & apologised for his poor behaviour whilst drunk, would this have been dragged out? Seems like just became an administrative mess.

Last edited:

Question was posed has SPP just come out early & apologised for his poor behaviour whilst drunk early, would this have been dragged out? Seems like just became an administrative mess.

Nah. As soon as the 7 news story went to air and AFL got their hands on it, it was always going to be a circus.

Her not reporting to police even if she thought it was a sexual assault, unfortunately I can understand. Reporting sexual assaults is a fairly harrowing experience to go through, I have friends that have done it and it was really difficult for them. The woman originally said she just wanted Sam talked to/ warned and was happy with the way the club had dealt with it. I don't believe she is lying but I'm sure nearly everyone's recollection of 4am in a night club is going to be somewhat clouded.

I was more wondering about the AFL/ PAFC passing the matter on to the police if they suspected a sexual assault had occurred as you suggested in your post.

Look at Keith Thomas' Press Conference yesterday as he refers to the AFL's obligation. It is available on the PAFC website.

I accept that reporting this type of offence would not be easy but we must remember that this young lady was prepared to talk to someone she had probably never met before at the Port Adelaide Football Club and presumably to AFL Integrity officers about the incident, she was also prepared to get up on camera in a TV studio and explain what happened but in spite of that display of courage she does not go to the police? I have no doubt that this lady was a victim but I am convinced she was not the victim of a sexual assault as was initially reported.

Yes, unfortunately some people behave badly when drunk.

Just glad this saga is finally over & hope lessons have been learnt by everyone - SPP, PAFC & AFL as to best handle these cases.

Question was posed has SPP just come out early & apologised for his poor behaviour whilst drunk early, would this have been dragged out? Seems like just became an administrative mess.

Amen to that.

I suspect that Sam was advised to remain silent until the findings of the AFL integrity unit were released. The delay in releasing the findings resulted in this dragging out for three weeks instead of one. Maybe that is the bit the AFL have to learn?

Sadly this won't be the last time this happens. The Clubs and the AFL have counselling in place as referred to by Keith Thomas yesterday. These guys are young are well paid and have too much spare time on their hands.

Last edited:
Amen to that.

I suspect that Sam was advised to remain silent until the findings of the AFL integrity unit were released. The delay in releasing the findings resulted in this dragging out for three weeks instead of one. Maybe that is the bit the AFL have to learn?

Sadly this won't be the last time this happens. The Clubs and the AFL have counselling in place as referred to by Keith Thomas yesterday. These guys are young are well paid and have too much spare time on their hands.
I think the modern way of staying silent until well after the incident is not the best way of handling these types of issues for many reasons.

Firstly, reckon SPP would have benefited from apologising early, as would have shown he was genuinely remorseful for his drunken mistake. Also, a brief description of the poor behaviour would have ended weeks of media speculation of what may have occurred, which is always going to have them add sauce.

Also, I gather all the victim really wanted was an apology & to ensure it is recognised that this behaviour is not acceptable. If she wanted more, she would have taken it to the Police.

The AFL made it worse by taking weeks to sort this saga out, as they try to control situations, when all they did is allow time for media speculation whilst protecting what could be said, making it look contrived.

How can you possibly say it’s certain? The young girl said it was sexual assault. Is she lying? There’s been no evidence to dispute it so far.

You need to hop in your trailer park home with Grey Crow at West Beach and have another West End and relax, your investing way too much time in stuff that’s actually just done to death.

Lol triggered much.
You need to hop in your trailer park home with Grey Crow at West Beach and have another West End and relax, your investing way too much time in stuff that’s actually just done to death.
How about you bring something instead of pea hearted cries .

If I am old then you are a baby

The AFL made it worse by taking weeks to sort this saga out, as they try to control situations, when all they did is allow time for media speculation whilst protecting what could be said, making it look contrived.

That is a good point as the AFL actually concluded it's investigation with in a week of the incident form being forwarded. The PAFC had to lodge a request under the AFL grievance procedures to get the findings and even then we were only provided with a summary. I believe that the full report was not made available to the Club or Sam Powell-Pepper until Tuesday which is over a week after the investigation concluded. You are quite right the delay gave the media an extra week to turn the whole process into a circus.

Hopefully the AFL will learn from this experience but that won't help this situation. The really worrying thing is the AFL always seem to have to learn the hard way and they never seem to be pro active. Perhaps being in Melbourne and not Adelaide did not help as the issue was likely to be a much bigger item here than in Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In spite of the immature intra-state sniping, it smells to me that a serious miscarriage of justice has gone on here, the AFL has not produced any evidence to support their claim, it would be interesting if the hours of nightclub security video were ‘leaked’ and if they seemingly cleared SPP would be awfully embarrasing. That said, a 3 game suspension seems awfully long especially when he played SANFL in the meantime !

Really poorly handled by the AFL.

In spite of the immature intra-state sniping, it smells to me that a serious miscarriage of justice has gone on here, the AFL has not produced any evidence to support their claim, it would be interesting if the hours of nightclub security video were ‘leaked’ and if they seemingly cleared SPP would be awfully embarrasing. That said, a 3 game suspension seems awfully long especially when he played SANFL in the meantime !

Really poorly handled by the AFL.

It wouldn't matter if the security video was leaked and it showed what KT said in his presser, their would still be a whole range of views on the viewing both right and wrong... Their would still be people / supporters who would still call him things like rapist and pedophile etc (like those Sturt supporters at the ANZAC Day game)

And yet you keep posting here....

Ha. Ha ha righto. ‘Cleared’. Typical Port spin. So he didn’t put a police officer in a headlock????

Did Ryder go to court for putting the officer in a head lock - NO
Was the charges for putting a police officer in a head lock dropped by Police - Yes

Was the charges for putting a police officer in a head lock dropped by Police - Yes
They weren’t dropped and he wasn’t ‘cleared’. They were dealt with by way of adult caution.

Pretty common for someone arrested for being a drunken idiot on Hindley Street to end up with their charges being resolved that way.

Spin spin spin spin spin. He put the cop in a headlock. You can spin it all you want but he assaulted a cop just like SPP sexually assaulted that girl by grabbing her ass. Everything else is spin.

I would have encouraged SPP to get on the front foot & make heart felt apology to the victim very early

He wasn't allowed to because the AFL investigation was still ongoing.

You really believe that’s all that happened and from that this woman came up with the idea to go to Port and lie about it?

What do you mean I think she lied? No one said she lied? You don’t know what she said! She may have said he held my hand and asked if I wanted to go with him and I felt uncomfortable with that.
I believe the vision I saw. I believe the CEO of port when he said they watched 7 hours of cctv vision and saw no assault at all. I believe that the law is that if there was any suspicion or evidence of sexual assault you are required by law to report it to police, that is either Port or the AFL are required to report it which the didn’t. I believe the girl when she says there was no sexual assault as she specifcaly said she did not want it to be a police matter.

Last edited:
How can you possibly say it’s certain? The young girl said it was sexual assault. Is she lying? There’s been no evidence to dispute it so far.

To start with she is not a ‘young girl’. She is 20. I think you should say a ‘young woman’ mate. Otherwise it could be argued you are implying she was under age.

Also, I don’t this she ever said it sexual assault did she? Can you provide a link or quote where she accused SPP of sexual assault? If she did the AFL and Port are required to go to police and they didn’t so I don’t believe she ever accused him of sexual assault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back