Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think GWS are the perfect club to take over.

Sydney has the largest portion of people of Chinese descent in Australia.

Hold the game on Thursday night so it gets a prime time fixture.

Raises the profile of GWS and appeals to the domestic Chinese market in Sydney which the AFL is desperate to crack.

I get the feeling St Kilda are just going to be whingers.

Sydney also has a bigger profile internationally and I dare say from a Chinese perspective of someone who is buying tickets would think we are sending the real deal over if it’s from our biggest city.

It isn't going to happen. We've got a lot of work still to do in our own zone.

This tweet was liked by our club account, and Tony Shepherd tweeted in reply l. Wish you well in the venture, but it just doesn't work for us.

GC want the game and finally see opportunities with Huawei in Schenzen and others and then next weekend St Kilda. Although would be better to have a full stadium in week 1 to get the media interest in both Shanghai and Oz, so St Kilda first.

Lockhart Road if Allan Zeman gets involved via Lindsay Fox, then St Kilda might chase the Hong Kong opportunities like GC might chase the Schenzen opportunities.

So the double up costs of back to back games is 2 lots of flights and accommodation for the teams and 2 lots of $500k+ fees to sell games and 2 lots of operating costs on game day eg lights, security, preparation etc. Fox Footy would send over a production team for 2 games so accommodation costs would double but production costs wouldn't.

So if it cost $4.5m to put on 1 game in 2017 then in 2019 it would probably cost $4m + $1.5m ignoring light tower costs and the fact in 2017 probably close to $1m was capital costs to upgrade the stadium and turf.

If we set up a company there with Shaghai CRED and have employees live in Shanghai, that will help with not having Alberton be a complete ghost town for about 14 days.

Its still a massive challenge for the club to put on back to back games and will involve a lot of planning to get it right. KT said after last years game that it taxed the club to the extreme and it was the toughest thing he had done at the club, and management had to make sure staff weren't burnt out by the experience. I guess the post mortem later this week and/or next week will reveal how much easier Shanghai 2.0 was and how well placed we are to "move the footy club" to Shanghai for 14 days.

Ok this is it. Gotta get another picture of Mr Gui in, the one the Oz ran with for this story.

970ae7780410b8acfebda01a781ea4f9

A Greg Denham story. Stephen Ciobo is not only the Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, but he is the member for Moncrieff which covers a big chunk of the Gold Coast from Southport in the north along the tourist strip of Main Beach, Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, Mermaid Beach down to Miami and the NW part of his electrote goes out to Nerang and covers where Carrara stadium is. So the local Gold Coast member who has control of the purse strings at tourism Australia is flexing his musles a bit for his team.

You may remember that a few months after the Suns were selected as our opponent a tourism survey of 3.6 million Chinese yes 3.6m not 1,500 or 20,000 like in a bigger survey in Oz, rated where they want to go for a holiday around the world and the top 3 spots went to two Chinese cities and one in Thailand and the Gold Cast was ranked 4th in the world. Its why I say they have been dumb so far with their strategy

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...i/news-story/a44afdd319a286009a4a673b52f2ccb9
Gold Coast have signalled an intention to keep playing in Shanghai again next year, sparking potential conflict between the federal and Victorian governments over access to the lucrative Chinese market. New business opportunities and federal government assistance may lead to a change of heart by the Suns, who have not ruled out playing Port Adelaide for a third straight year in Shanghai next season. The Suns say the environment has changed since informally ruling out further participation in China, as exclusively reported in The Australian earlier this year.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane and his board, encouraged by new developments in their China strategy leading into last Saturday’s game against Port, have commissioned a report by Suns chief executive Mark Evans to be tabled at next month’s board meeting. A key element to the Suns’ potential backflip has been a new engagement in sponsorship and partnership opportunities in China. While the Suns have received almost $1 million by surrendering two home games on the Gold Coast to play in China, they are in the process of exploring deals that could net them far more cash and provide more opportunities for their community. The Suns’ chances of playing more home matches for premiership points in Shanghai have been enhanced by the federal government Minister for Tourism, Trade and Investment Steve Ciobo’s mission to China last week. Ciobo, who is a resident of the Gold Coast and a strong Suns supporter, is the first minister from Malcolm Turnbull’s government to visit China in eight months. Tourism Australia has been a huge supporter of the historic Chinese games, with an investment exceeding $1 million in the first two years. “Obviously, the federally controlled Tourism Australia has a huge interest in the game because the Gold Coast is the number one destination of Chinese tourists each year,” Cochrane told The Australian yesterday. “The Gold Coast is a very, very strong tourism market for China so it’s important and in the best interest of the federal government to support the game.”
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...i/news-story/a44afdd319a286009a4a673b52f2ccb9

Tony Cochrane has been pretty quiet this year but this is his take on why they still want to keep the game. They have woken up it seems to the many possibilities. Plus a couple of mates know mayor Tom Tate very well and he does a lot of travelling to China to spruik the GC and they tell me he is very keen to keep the game.
GC to play 2 games in China. One vs Port and the other vs a Victorian club. You know it'll happen. I can see it unfolding already.
No bloody way

Well, GremioPower has always crazy suggestions for solving such issues. For instance,...
... playing two double-headers in back-to-back weekends.

AFL would have four teams in Shanghai for two rounds: Port Adelaide; Gold Coast; and two invitees: the Suns would put two home games on the table; we would get two away; and the other two teams would play two games each - one home (v Port), and one away (v GC). The invitee clubs would rotate on a 7-year cycle by state...

This way, there would always be one team from South Australia (Port), another from Queensland (GC), and at least one from Victoria...

source: http://farwestfooty.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-adventures-of-marko-porto-in-china.html

It isn't going to happen. We've got a lot of work still to do in our own zone.

This tweet was liked by our club account, and Tony Shepherd tweeted in reply l. Wish you well in the venture, but it just doesn't work for us.

The league website has run this article today:
Could Giants be making the big trip to China? - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-22/could-giants-be-making-the-big-trip-to-china

It seems GWS has a home game to spare.

---
P.S.: The actual quote: "... We do have a spare game at Spotless that could be taken somewhere else."

Last edited:
GC to play 2 games in China. One vs Port and the other vs a Victorian club. You know it'll happen. I can see it unfolding already.

I don't trust the AFL at all and can see them maneuvering towards this as well.

The league website has run this article today:
Could Giants be making the big trip to China? - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-22/could-giants-be-making-the-big-trip-to-china

It seems GWS has a home game to spare.

They have 11 home games. Their contract in Canberra says they must play 3 games there. I assume their contract at the Sydney Showgrounds (Spotless Stadium) is for 8 games but the article says they have a spare game so I assume that is if the play Sydney Swans and both teams are flying they can take their home game against the Swans 500m down the road to the Olympic Stadium (ANZ Stadium) which has happened in 2012 and 2013.

But then they realised Swans fans wont travel in large numbers 20kms from the eastern and north eastern suburbs, so 22,000 Sydney Showgrounds stadium is good enough for the derby home game. They did play the Qualifying Final at the Olympic Stadium in 2016 and the crowd was 60k, but in a couple of years time the Olympic Stadium will be turned into a rectangle stadium with a $800+mil upgrade.

Before 2023?

It won’t happen. It costs $4m to get a game up and running, and Gold Coast doesn’t have the money to bankroll that. Neither does St Kilda.

The reason why the viewing numbers in Australia were so low is due to the fact that Essendon v Geelong was on at the same time. The only ones watching this game were Port fans.

Gold Coast doesn’t have the cachet in Shanghai to host a game anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmmm
Nuh. Surely you get nuffie Vic Journalism
Welcome your interest in this fascinating subject, having contributed to the relevant thread you opened on the main board. It seems you are thirsty for info, especially and naturally relevant to GWS.

When we started moving in Hong Kong in 2013 we discovered that GWS had already come three times in search of connections, and post-season 2013 Leon Cameron was in HK searching for means to set up a training camp.
Once we got moving, GWS backed off.

Where did GWS’s interest and vision start? With Sheedy in 2011 and certain GWS execs who knew what China was about. The Shanghai Tigers regarded Sheeds at that time as their ‘patron’ as he’d made a couple of trips north of Hong Kong and won a lot of friends.

Welcome your interest in this fascinating subject, having contributed to the relevant thread you opened on the main board. It seems you are thirsty for info, especially and naturally relevant to GWS.

When we started moving in Hong Kong in 2013 we discovered that GWS had already come three times in search of connections, and post-season 2013 Leon Cameron was in HK searching for means to set up a training camp.
Once we got moving, GWS backed off.

Where did GWS’s interest and vision start? With Sheedy in 2011 and certain GWS execs who knew what China was about. The Shanghai Tigers regarded Sheeds at that time as their ‘patron’ as he’d made a couple of trips north of Hong Kong and won a lot of friends.
Entirely likely that Sheedy did, he is somewhat of a visionary. The club also has large first and second generation Chinese population in Western Sydney that are certainly not to be offended.
We dont have a game to sell though, that's the bottom line.

I’m of the opinion that the GWS board wouldn’t be telling their staff or anyone else of any intentions to move a game to Shanghai even if they did want to, because as soon as you say publicly “we’re keen”, your ability to negotiate a great deal plummets.

And they certainly wouldn’t be telling some nuff on Twitter about it.

More telling is their chairman’s comments:

“We would love to see the wonderful Chinese community of Greater Western Sydney at Spotless”

all this talk of clubs not having a home game to sell

isn't there an option where let's say we buy a home game of st kilda

give it to gws then they can play us at Shanghai?

Only 59,000 watched? I find that hard to believe

There would have been at least that many Crows supporters watching to frantically count the heads in the crowd.

There would have been at least that many Crows supporters watching to frantically count the heads in the crowd.
You are assuming that they know how to count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back