Preview Round 10 - Geelong v Carlton, GMHBA, Saturday 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawthorn supporters more likely to question someone's contribution to the community
Just sayin
You know the mirror rule
If you question someone else's contribution, it usually means you aren't doing a whole lot, but feel entitled
Like Dermy
I come from the we can we did school of hard knocks ...the entitled word is a 21 st century thing. I want I want generation = Entitled....Just Sayin

Nah I think you are the one who got personal and you know that as well so if your done I am happy to be done.
I was done two pages ago when you said Bews was shit and I said you were wrong then you said ok I'm not speaking about this anymore.... Yet here you are:think:

The big thing is generally the agility, though. There's a reason Rioli is so bloody good defensively.

Wouldn't you think that's why Gregson and Murdoch are there?.... are they responsible to play key positions?...
Reckon Sav is better a better tackler than either anyway, Gregson for certain!

On the topic of Bews, he hasn't come on this year as I'd hoped. I haven't really noticed him at all - not necessarily a bad thing for a defender, but at stages last year he was providing dash and drive from the back half as well as being tight defensively. Thought he was ready to step up another level.

He has great speed and evasiveness when he's up and about, but I haven't really seen that from him this year - he just isn't getting his hands on the ball.

Still easily better than Ruggles ever was though, imo.

You've got to remember the big guys are contesting and bringing the ball to the deck.
The job for the small guys is to win possession and kick goals if they can from sweating on the drop. If the ball comes out to easy maybe it's them not doing their job effectively enough.
You can't expect the guy that flies also be responsible for the tackle at ground level.
I would blame those at ground level for lack of pressure.
I guess my point is no matter who you are, if you have the chance to chase then just chase.

I was done two pages ago when you said Bews was shit and I said you were wrong then you said ok I'm not speaking about this anymore.... Yet here you are:think:
And here you are like a terrier you just can't let it go...I did not say Bews was shit. There your words. And also context is incorrect. Keep going if you will.

On the topic of Bews, he hasn't really come on this year as I'd hoped. I haven't really noticed him at all - not necessarily a bad thing for a defender, but at stages last year he was providing dash and drive from the back half. He has great speed and evasiveness when he's up and about, but I haven't really seen that from him this year.

I think it was easier to run off the back half when the others were all tall timber
This year there is shared run which doesn't show individualism so much.
Personally think that is a great thing
Henry Touhy Stewart Bews Blitz Kolo all doing their bit in the running stakes
I don't mind people saying he isn't standing out so much, but to say he can't play is silly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott said in the presser after the game last week - that this loss stings at the moment - well lets hope the players respond . Bit like the Richmond final loss - and the excellent response against the Swans in the subsequent final - where Geel just hunted them for the whole game

It's a bit worrying that we need a loss to "sting" us in to action though. The Sydney loss supposedly stung and yet 2 weeks later we let Essendon completely bully us. I think we need to concentrate less on responding to losses and concentrate more on how we stem the tide when things are going against us or we're not playing our best.

The fact is in every game you're going to have a period where the opposition gets on top. Look at the 2009 and 2011 grand finals. We were seriously outplayed for big chunks of both games but hung in there close enough and were good enough to punish them when we got on top. If this team played those games they'd be 50 points down in each and it's good night. I actually think our good right now is really good and good enough to win a premiership. But when we play badly teams put 5+ goals on us in a quarter.

Look at the PF against Adelaide last year and the West Coast and Sydney games this year. We played some really good footy in all of those games. But we lost all of them because we got smashed when they got on top. If instead of giving up 5+ consecutive goals we only give up 3 when we go through a bad patch then we'll be a seriously good team. But that can't rely on needing a kick up the backside every few weeks or we'll lose as many as we win.

I come from the we can we did school of hard knocks ...the entitled word is a 21 st century thing. I want I want generation = Entitled....Just Sayin
In my experience, people who say they went to the School of Hard Knocks generally suck at life.

Not a Zappa fan I will pass there.
Funny that a "hard knocks' guy doesn't like Zappa
A forefront critique of Capitalist society and its inequities
Very funny too
20th century humour in songs like
You are what you is
Catholic girls with their tiny little moustache
Dancing fool
Broken Hearts are for Assholes
The torture never stops

Last edited:
On the topic of Bews, he hasn't really come on this year as I'd hoped. I haven't really noticed him at all - not necessarily a bad thing for a defender, but at stages last year he was providing dash and drive from the back half. He has great speed and evasiveness when he's up and about, but I haven't really seen that from him this year - he just isn't getting his hands on the ball.

Same with Tuohy, not as much run but it looks like the instruction is as a defensive collective to defend first and attack second; they might start to free up a bit once the group cohesion has been well established.

I think it was easier to run off the back half when the others were all tall timber
This year there is shared run which doesn't show individualism so much.
Personally think that is a great thing
Henry Touhy Stewart Bews Blitz Kolo all doing their bit in the running stakes
I don't mind people saying he isn't standing out so much, but to say he can't play is silly

Is the backline that much smaller this year? I have no idea about players heights these days - Cripps & Fyfe are bloody key forward size!

It's a bit worrying that we need a loss to "sting" us in to action though. The Sydney loss supposedly stung and yet 2 weeks later we let Essendon completely bully us. I think we need to concentrate less on responding to losses and concentrate more on how we stem the tide when things are going against us or we're not playing our best.

The fact is in every game you're going to have a period where the opposition gets on top. Look at the 2009 and 2011 grand finals. We were seriously outplayed for big chunks of both games but hung in there close enough and were good enough to punish them when we got on top. If this team played those games they'd be 50 points down in each and it's good night. I actually think our good right now is really good and good enough to win a premiership. But when we play badly teams put 5+ goals on us in a quarter.

Look at the PF against Adelaide last year and the West Coast and Sydney games this year. We played some really good footy in all of those games. But we lost all of them because we got smashed when they got on top. If instead of giving up 5+ consecutive goals we only give up 3 when we go through a bad patch then we'll be a seriously good team. But that can't rely on needing a kick up the backside every few weeks or we'll lose as many as we win.
Thank goodness we're back to team focus
I agree with that analysis, but last week was awful for all but when it was over. A true backside kick for all ahead of themselves. I'm thinking we'll come out hard this weekend. They have to be angry about that effort and somewhat embarrassed. Maybe Jed will kick a couple

I guess my point is no matter who you are, if you have the chance to chase then just chase.

I agree, but let's not forget who's best positioned at the drop to prevent the ball from being run out.
Surely the 4 small/mediums of the front 6 are responsible for something?
If they’re not there for crashing packs and big marks then what's their role and responsibilities?
Wish people would point the finger in the right direction that's all and get it right.

Same with Tuohy, not as much run but it looks like the instruction is as a defensive collective to defend first and attack second; they might start to free up a bit once the group cohesion has been well established.

Yeah true. As I mentioned, not noticing a defender at least means he isn't getting towelled up regularly. It's probably a bit of a selfish thing really - he is one of my favourite players to watch when he's sprinting out of defense and evading tacklers.

And here you are like a terrier you just can't let it go...I did not say Bews was shit. There your words. And also context is incorrect. Keep going if you will.
You're such a loser mate, but you are entertaining me cause I know you wouldn't say any of this to my face.

Says you're 60yo, probably the most immature 60yo I've ever chatted with so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back